Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Worried after taking Cipro! Has anyone been okay after cipro?  (Read 151 times)

Offline Tess456

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Has anyone taken Cipro and been okay? I took it for 3 days for a UTI that was resistant to everything else.  I didn't want it to go to a kidney infection and I have had the UTI for months.   I didn't have any side effects that I know of, but I made the mistake of looking up all the horrible stories about all the people who have had crippling reactions and now I am so scared. I took cipro 20 years ago for several weeks and had no side effects.  Does this mean I won't have them now?  If anyone has taken cipro and been Ok I'd really like to hear about it. Thank you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Michael L

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried after taking Cipro! Has anyone been okay after cipro?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 11:03:13 PM »
Try to keep in mind that your doctor prescribes medications and treatments to you by first carefully weighing the risks against the benefits.

If they have prescribed this medication for you, I would trust that and remind yourself of that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 11:25:43 PM »

Cipro is good. You'll be fine. Don't read the side effects.

A pharmacist explained to me that when meds are tried in trials, there are placebo groups and real groups who take the meds. The Placebo groups always have lots of side effects, yet they are only taking a sugar pill!
Then, they compare those side effects to the people in the group who actually took the drug...and the side effects are minimal. But they have to be listed as "potential" side effects.

What does all this mean?  It means, first of all, that someone who develops these side-effects upon taking a new drug may not be reacting to the drug itself!  They may be reacting to the idea of the drug. Yet, if a patient is told that the particular physical reaction they are having after taking the drug cannot be reasonably attributed to the effect of the drug itself, they often become offended.

Another example. Let's say J is taking Drug A for for a drug trial for  anxiety. He develops bronchitis. 22 other people in the trial also develop bronchitis. (and it's bronchitis season). It will be noted that is a "possible side effect" when in fact, the drug itself did not cause the bronchitis at all. :yes: :winking0008: :spineyes:

You'll be fine. I've taken Cipro a few times for Lyme. As well as Doxycycline. I recently had a round of Amoxicillin for a sinus/ear infection.

Don't read the side effects. They just have to be listed by FDA regulations. It doesn't mean that you will get those side effects at all.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Bocephus

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 12:47:25 AM »
I've traveled to a lot of places that my stomach was not acquainted to all that well and have had to take cipro on several occasions for several days..  Never had any adverse reactions.  You should be just fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tess456

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 01:02:58 AM »
Thank you. My legs are sore today and I was worrying, but it could be a lot of things. I do think that people have reactions to cipro, but most likely they resolve on their own most of the time. I know that a lot of people take it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 07:33:49 AM »
I've taken it a bunch of times.  No bad effects.  Maybe stomach upset or bad taste in mouth; I can't remember, but nothing serious at all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lilyofthevalley

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 08:32:50 AM »
I have taken Cipro with no side effects. You will be fine and feel a lot better after taking it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 04:01:38 PM »
yes I have taken it.  No big deal whatsoever. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: