Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Scared out of my mind... RABIES  (Read 207 times)

Offline zmichelle557

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared out of my mind... RABIES
« on: July 03, 2014, 10:41:55 PM »
Okay so, on June 13th my had contact with a dog that might have rabies.  On June 20th the dog became sick and by June 23rd they put it down. It was confirmed rabies. On Friday  my husband started getting post pep shot for contact with the dog. He wasn't bit and he's not even sure the dog licked him but he is taking it to be safe. We both started getting sick on Tuesday or Wednesday of last week. A few days before he started rabies treatment.  I am now convinced I have rabies. I was told by the epidemiologist that there is no chance since he wasn't showing symptoms and if he was then the post pep shots wouldn't have helped and he would be in the hospital
So, I have a sore throat and it's dry. No fever no headache. I have some stomach trouble but I think that's due to stress and fear.  I feel like I am being irrational and everyone around me thinks so to. I am scared and I don't know what to do. Help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared out of my mind... RABIES
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 11:30:31 PM »
Believe what your epidemiologist said...that there is NO CHANCE since he wasn't showing symptoms. Trust me, they know their stuff. You and your husband will be fine.
Shame that the people who owned that poor dog didn't get him a simple rabies vaccine. I don't know what state you live in but here in NY it is the law that all dogs and cats be vaccinated for rabies.

I thought all states had that law.

Again, you'll be fine, but you are stressing out about it and....that is probably causing your symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 01:05:09 AM »
Word for word what redapples said, I have the same fear as you, rabies, message me whenever you're in a state of fear. Also listen to what the epidemiologist said for they know a lot more than you, your anxiety is warping you to what you want to believe, believe me no matter how many times I have thought that I've had rabies I've never died... I listened to my State Department of Health when they said that I'm not at risk and again to my doctor when she said I wasn't at risk and that it was all my anxiety, she put me on meds and I'm the happiest camper I've ever been. Mabye it's time for medication, it may help you, no pressure.
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Offline totallyphobic

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 06:26:24 AM »
HI

I know this is hard but I have been there done that myself and let me reassure you that no one has ever developed rabies from another human. The only way I heard of it being transmitted was from cornea transplants from people who died of the disease but was not diagnosed. Listen to the experts you are going to be fine and so is your husband.
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 07:38:07 AM »
If you didn't have contact with the dog, there's no way you have rabies.

Your husband almost certainly doesn't either, but you gotta be safe in the event of actual contact.

Poor dog.  Shame no one bothered to get him vaccinated.  It's so rare, but it's people who let their animals run around unvaccinated who are helping allow the disease to spread the small amount that it does.
Bookmark and Share

Offline HNDFL

• Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Never Give Up Never Back Down
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 11:34:22 AM »
I am going to agree with everything everyone else has said. Trust your doctor. They have seen many cases of whatever you are concered about. If they aren't worried about it neither should you!!

Have a great day!!! :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up"-Proverbs 12:25

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."-John 14:27

Offline zmichelle557

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 12:05:09 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. I'm not as nervous today thanks to lots of prayer and rational thinking. Lol I still have a dry throat and my stomach is going crazy but my mind is not as crazy. The dog was only 3 months and they told the owner to wait until four months to vacinate.   A skunk was in its pin outside one night and the dog killed it. That's how it contracted the rabies. I'm hopeful that I will be over this fear sooner rather than later.  I do trust the epidemiologist but then again I have a huge issue listening to advise from doctors. I have tried meds in the past and they didn't work well for me. I may talk to my doc about Xanax for these moments since that is the one med that seems to help when I'm being irrational and obsessive. Thanks again guys.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 03:37:50 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. I'm not as nervous today thanks to lots of prayer and rational thinking. Lol I still have a dry throat and my stomach is going crazy but my mind is not as crazy. The dog was only 3 months and they told the owner to wait until four months to vacinate.   A skunk was in its pin outside one night and the dog killed it. That's how it contracted the rabies. I'm hopeful that I will be over this fear sooner rather than later.  I do trust the epidemiologist but then again I have a huge issue listening to advise from doctors. I have tried meds in the past and they didn't work well for me. I may talk to my doc about Xanax for these moments since that is the one med that seems to help when I'm being irrational and obsessive. Thanks again guys.

What a shame, that was a puppy.... here in NY they tell us until  pups, kits, dogs and cats are fully vaccinated, they shouldn't be outside. Sad that they had their pup in a pen... had they kept him inside, until fully vaccinated, he'd be fine. Breaks my heart as an animal lover.

Now, for you- I'm sure your dry throat and stomach are your anxiety. I'm glad to hear that prayer and rational thinking are bringing you back to feeling relief. Remember, the irrational thoughts all start...with us.

We start them and we can stop them. We have to have tools in our toolbox  :yes: You used yours today!
Bookmark and Share

Offline zmichelle557

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 05:39:40 PM »
My rational thinking is out the window. I am terrified right now. I have a lump in my throat I'm convinced I don't want to drink water and my stomach is in knots. I hate this. I'm so scared again. I just want this to go away...
Bookmark and Share

Offline totallyphobic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 05:50:02 PM »
This is normal your going to have peaks where you are rational and peaks where the irrational will break through classic anxiety/panic attack. I went through this myself even down to not drinking water but believe it or not I drank coffee. Most people actually can become symtomatic and since fear of water is most often associated with the disease your mind is playing cruel tricks of what you fear the most. Anxiety can mimic any disease you fear and believe me it becomes a vicious cycle. Please call back the expert and have them calmly explain to you why you are not at risk and explain what is considered at risk.
Bookmark and Share

Offline zmichelle557

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 06:16:21 PM »
I have.  She said there is no risk because 1. I had no contact with the dog and 2. My husband was showing no symptoms of the virus.  She said if he were then the post pep shots would not have worked and he would be sick and probably in the hospital.  She said it takes around 30 days before a human shows symptoms and that you can not get the virus from a human until there are active symptoms.  I feel better talking about this
 What doesn't help is knowing he is going to another shot tonight. It's like it never goes away. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline totallyphobic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 08:40:59 PM »
I'm glad you called the expert back and here is something to remember the shots will work because he received them before showing any symptoms and he was given RHIG first that provides immediate protection until the vaccine kicks in. I myself have had the vaccine which I received 14 years ago when I was clocked by a bat.
Bookmark and Share

Offline zmichelle557

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 10:27:55 PM »
He actually didn't get immunoglobulin since he wasn't bit and they aren't sure if he even had contact with the dog.  However, I haven't been drinking or kissing him on the mouth until he is done with his shots. Lol he is actually on the third one today. So he should be good by now since it's the 7th day
 But I'm not taking a chance. Haha my kids also were given the shots because they were at the person's house a day before it died. My husband isn't sure if they touched the dog or not but they got shots 4 days after exposure so I'm not as concerned about getting it from them. They got the immunoglobulin on Tuesday and I was the same with them up until then. Plus I know after four days they wouldn't be showing symptoms more than likely where as my husband was 3 weeks exposure which is why I'm concerned with it so much
 I talked to the RN today when my husband got his shot. She was very reassuring letting me know if anyone thought I might of had a chance of being exposed they would have made me get the shots. I definitely have calmed down since talking to her. I'm not 100 percent but at least 80 percent calm. Lol

Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 10:31:05 PM »
80%calmer is good! You're almost there.

Sounds like you've got all the bases covered.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: