Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Chronic hypochondria  (Read 132 times)

Offline rmk1112

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Chronic hypochondria
« on: July 03, 2014, 04:37:58 PM »
Hi everyone, I am new here. I am a 20 year old male in my senior year of college. Currently going through a lawsuit, intense summer behavioral neuroscience course, and had a back injury back in high school. My whole life I have been overweight, until this year I took my health into my own hands and started losing weight really quickly with exercise and a better diet (not perfect diet mnd you). One day, I was eating some very salty japenese food when my life took a huge turn for the worse.

I have always been afraid of getting diabetes, yet never have been diagnosed (even though I have not been to a GP in 2+ years). I definitely have some sort of high blood pressure that I need to get in control. I have a doctors appointment set up at home, though I am currently at school and felt that I could wait until I was home to have the support of my family.

Everything I am about to describe started only when I found out i was getting sued for 100k for a  car accident.

Firstly, I started getting a weird feeling on the left side of my face. Not numb, no loss of sensation, just a weird full feeling. It usually goes away when I stop thinking about it but it seems to jump around from place to place when I do think about it. I also sometimes when very stressed about anything (lawsuit, school, family) get a tingling sensation in my head. It usually goes away when I practice a breathing exercise (4 in, 7 hold, out).

Next, I have a horrible pain in my left wrist from working out and over using it, or so I think. I stopped working out my biceps as of now.

Ihave started to tremble. Not too much and  I only notice it in my hands when I am still, but it is something to note.
-I have also noticed that recently I have been waking up with both arms numb and rubber like. Not a pins and needles feeling, just like a complete numb and tight feeling. I have a tempurpedic mattress pad and have slept on my arms a lot in my life, but this causes my heart rate to rise and again panic pretty badly.

A little more about me, I work at a job where I am often required to go to work at 4 a.m. 4-5 days a week. It is not a very stressful job, but waking up that early has never been a problem for me until recently. Now, I am tired all day and find myself worrying about the fact that I am so tired more than actually being tired. My sleep stinks. I am often hot at night, and wake up frequently for no reason or from noises in my apartment from roommates. Even when I sleep in (like 9-10am for me) I still feel groggy all morning and sometimes have a headache around my left eye and forehead. The headache is nothing severe, just barely noticeable. Sometimes I find myself so anxious that I get lightheaded and dizzy just from going grocery shopping.

I also have double vision. I do not see double all of the time at all, but find it very easy to see double at will. I am prescribed glasses and have an asygmatism in both eyes. But you see double vision as a symptom for everything and again it scares me.

I normally try to fall asleep at around 9-10 when I work early, but again am waking up in the middle of the night and rarely feel rested in the mornings.

The hypochondria really sets in at some points and I often find myself fighting against my mind as to convince me I am ok but could be very sick.

I am an internet searcher for sure. I read hundreds of symptom checkers for MS, Diabetes, Brain Cancer, Spinal cancer, ALS, parkinson's etc day in and day out and cannot seem to stop myself. I then fixate on whatever disease I am looking on for that day and freak out for the rest of the day about it, until I wake up the next morning with a new concern (or old one).

This is no way to live, and talking to my family about it barely helps since they do not understand. I do not want to do, it has caused so much emotional distress in the last month and I need to find help. Like I have said, I am seeing my old doctor when I return home (I also live about 8 hours from home at school and have not been home except for a short weekend break in 7 months, but think that a community effort is better than trying to make people who cannot relate understand my pain and suffering. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
Re: Chronic hypochondria
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 07:02:23 PM »
I don't know if this will be any help to you rmk1112 but you should possibly try to get on a medication for I've only had health anxiety for two years and already it has taken me to hell and back. From my understanding you sleep with your arms under the pillow which can make the whole arm numb and rubber like, tingly, or feeling hot. About your wrist you should rest it for awhile if it's causing you discomfort for over using the wrists is an unplesent thing to deal with. You may be under a ton of stress from having to deal with the lawsuit, when I'm stressedI usually get a weird feeling of my face as well or I get chills on only one side of my body. as for the hand trembling that is a common symptom of hypochondria, trembling in general is a symptom... Sometimes it gets tothe point where you can't hold things or can't walk normally when in a state of fear. You may find relief from the choppy sleep you get by taking Melatonin which can make even the most hyper active person be asleep soundly in about 30 minutes and it will reduce the amout of times you wake up in the middle of the night (hey you might even be able to get a FULL night of sleep!).
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Offline rmk1112

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Chronic hypochondria
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 10:41:50 AM »
Thank you my friend! Today I am doing better! My class ended yesterday, so that stress is gone for now. Hurt my wrist at work today a little, but woke up with no numbness at all in my arms.

Face and head are tingling a little bit today, but I do not feel stressed at all. Maybe a little about my left wrist since I always think it is ALS doing it to me...
Bookmark and Share