Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Unbelievable, but it got better :-)  (Read 149 times)

Offline Allochka

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Unbelievable, but it got better :-)
« on: July 03, 2014, 11:35:02 AM »
Hello everyone,

Havenít posted for a while....
About a month ago or so I suddenly realized that my health anxiety got so much better. So just want to share something positive with those who struggle like me and think that it would never end.
I had my last health scare which is worth mentioning almost 10 months ago.  During these 10 months Iíve had couple of health problems, which Iíve treated like all non-hypochondriacs do Ė acknowledging a problem calmly. If it was very persistent Ė finally went to a doc (without thinking itís cancer) and got it sorted out. I also had my first baseline mammogram (no symptoms, just reached the age  :happy0151:). Had to wait for it more than a month, and wasnít worried at the slightest! Had regular pap smear Ė and forgot to call the doc about the results, amazing! And had my first vacation in 3 years not thinking about some terrible disease.
Iím not saying Iím fully cured. A dark thought still appears when smth starts aching, but Iím capable to reasonably dismiss it very quickly. However, I still worry about my dear ones from time to time, but also to much lesser extent. I know hypochondria havenít went away completely, but learned to minimize its effect on my life.
I believe improvement was achieved by rather simple methods, which are mentioned here on AZ million times Ė DO NOT GOOGLE AND DO NOT RUN TO A DOC FOR REASSURANCE !  First times of not going to a doc were scary Ė I thought I was dying and doing nothing to save myself. But with each time it became easier and easier. So making leap of faith, suggested by experienced wise people here, does work!
Life is so much more pleasant without constant health panic. I had HA for 3 years, but started really fighting and doing the right things only when I was totally pissed off with myself. Simply wishing to get better does not help. You must start doing at least these 2 simple things - no google, no unnecessary docs. And being totally pissed off will help you to fight the uncertainty fear Ė anger takes over and you simply donít care anymore  :happy0151:
Stop docotr visits, reassure yourself with logic, and each time it will be easier and easier. And youíll get better, I know that now! Try to do it for yourself, family, friends - it is possible!
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Unbelievable, but it got better :-)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
Thank you for the great post Allochka. I am happy that you have found away to get over your health anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 01:00:37 PM »
Very good points!  And glad to hear you are doing well and living life!   Best wishes to you!
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Offline Allochka

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 04:50:58 PM »
Thank you very much for warm words!
What really surprises me is how simple the recipe is. And it is all over Anxiety Zone - No Google and no reassurance from doctors. Yes, following this is very hard at first. But anyway, basic idea is simple.  No longterm therapy, medication or complicated mind wiring techniques could be required to get better. Just stubbornly following 2 rules despite all fears.
I'm not HA free, but I'm much better. And now I truly believe all of us can get better.
Some time ago Floridaguy has written that we must change our behaviour and habits first, and mindsets would follow. I was sceptical first, but this is true. Change your routine (like stop doc visits), and gradually mind will rewire. Not vice versa.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 09:24:25 PM »
So glad to hear you're doing better!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: