Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Success with Seroquel  (Read 134 times)

Offline Hoosier_Student

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Success with Seroquel
« on: July 03, 2014, 11:22:33 AM »
I have been going through a bad episode of anxiety for the last few weeks.  I had been on a low dose of Seroquel (an anti-psychotic) which really calmed my anxiety and racing thoughts.  However, after being on it for a long time, it seems like I developed tolerance and it didn't have the same effect, so after a stressful time last month, my anxiety returned.  The other day my psychiatrist upped my seroquel to 400mg.  Although this is quite a high dose for anxiety, it has really helped my symptoms so far. 
Still, because of side effects, I hope that I'll be able to go down on my dosage after some time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Success with Seroquel
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 05:10:50 PM »
I had been on a low dose of Seroquel (an anti-psychotic) which really calmed my anxiety and racing thoughts.

Have you been given a diagnosis for which disorder/s you have?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Hoosier_Student

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 06:31:20 PM »
My official diagnosis is Generalized Anxiety Disorder with Obsessive Compulsive Tendencies.  However, my psychiatrist explained that sometimes lower doses of anti-psychotics are used as an add on treatment to anti-depresessants and occasionally off label for anxiety disorders because of their rapid calming affect.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 09:59:03 PM »
My official diagnosis is Generalized Anxiety Disorder with Obsessive Compulsive Tendencies.  However, my psychiatrist explained that sometimes lower doses of anti-psychotics are used as an add on treatment to anti-depresessants and occasionally off label for anxiety disorders because of their rapid calming affect.

I'd be wary about using an antipsychotic alone for anxiety disorders. They can have far more ongoing side-effects issues than the antidepressants. Small doses as an add on yes, if necessary, but large doses alone is not worth it, IMHO, unless other options have proven ineffective.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Hoosier_Student

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 06:17:48 PM »
I agree that using an antipsychotic can have side effects.  My psychiatrist warned me about the potential dangers.  Frankly, I'm surprised that I got on such a high dosage.  (My psychiatrist upped the dosage after I had a fairly serious breakdown in May.)  However, this is seen as a temporary thing to help me recover and then lower the dosage after a month or two. 

I am also on Venlafaxine and found it hasn't done anything.  Other SSRIs haven't done much either, so my psychiatrist told me he would rather use Seroquel temporarily than have me use Benzos every day and develop a dependence on them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
Other SSRIs haven't done much either, so my psychiatrist told me he would rather use Seroquel temporarily than have me use Benzos every day and develop a dependence on them.

But he was okay with you developing a dependence on SSRIs (Effexor can be every bit as hard to discontinue as benzodiazepines, for some even harder). 

SSRIs aren't the only antidepressants. Ask him about the tricyclics. They can be at least as effective as the SSRIs and while they tend to have more ongoing side-effects, mostly nuisance ones like constipation and dry-mouth, they are more benign meds than Seroquel.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: