Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How much is too much anxiety?  (Read 362 times)

Offline will402

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How much is too much anxiety?
« on: July 03, 2014, 03:38:49 AM »
Hello. I recently tried to take up sertraline for the second time. after day three I gave up because the anxiety increase was unbareable. The worst I have ever felt. I'm afraid now to start a new one. So my question is how much is too much when starting a ssri.

I know increased anxiety is normal. But to what extent?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: How much is too much anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 05:37:49 AM »
Anxiety just makes us feel bad in itself. Our bodies can withstand a fair amount of anxiety. With some medication it spikes our anxiety levels for a while. A lot of doctors may give people something else to help lower the anxiety levels while the person is getting the new medication into their system. It can be normal. If the levels didn't go down within two weeks I would have a word with my doctor. It may be that some medication is not for some people. The doctor may change the type of medication.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 06:46:30 AM »
Hey Will -  Just wondering what your starting dose was? My Doc started me on 50mg and my anxiety was through the roof. I dropped it to 25mg and it was easier. After 6 days at 25mg I increased to 50mg.  Still had a rough day or 2 but that was it. Some even start off at 12.5mg. Give it another try in the long run it's a good medication.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline MissMurphy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 06:50:14 AM »
I started at 50mg and felt like my heart would explode, but it did pass despite feeling like I was going to be like that forever. Keep a diary of how you feel, helps me with keeping things in perspective.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 08:10:40 AM »
My Doc started me on 50mg and my anxiety was through the roof.
and
I started at 50mg and felt like my heart would explode,

Some doctors shouldn't be allowed to deflea dogs much less treat people!!  >:(  I wonder if either stopped to wonder why sertraline comes in 25mg tablets if 50mg is the starting dose for everyone?  This might have been acceptable up to about the mid 1990s when no one knew any better, but the halved starting dose for those with anxiety disorders became the standard protocol nearly 20 years ago. It says so in the Sertraline Dosage and Administration section of the sertraline monograph. Sigh!

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 08:24:30 AM »
When I first started getting panic attacks they were terrible. I didn't know what it was, since I had never had a full blown panic attack. I thought, of course, "It must be a heart attack!" I mean, my heart felt as if it were going to burst out of my chest. So I went through Cardiologists and a few hospital visits. Then I thought it could be GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) since the symptoms kind of matched. The Gastro threw meds at me and I had side effects. They ran an Endoscopy and other tests. I had a small hiatal hernia, which they said is relatively normal. My anxiety was through the roof by this time since no one could find anything wrong!

Enter in a GP telling me that she thinks it is anxiety. I had been checked completely. My blood was drawn so many times and checked over. I am saying this because without the SSRI's and medication, my anxiety was through the roof in itself. And finding out it is anxiety, while a relief, continued these physical manifestations. I couldn't live like that, so medication is/was needed.

I started out on Lexapro - Was bad for me. Went to Cymbalta and it gave me anxiety at first a bit, especially during an increase. I've been on a handful of others since. What you need to realize is that there is many adverse side effects... initially, anxiety being one of them. Is your Psychiatrist prescribing too high of a dosage? I don't know. I can't answer that. But no matter what happens in the future medication-wise, just remember that these side effects will almost always occur while your body gets used to the medicine. For me it did. Maybe ask for a benzo like Xanax. When I first started Cymbalta I had terrible nausea and stomach aches, and the Xanax was a Godsend.

Best of luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 12:05:51 PM »
Hi Will, ::)

I can totally relate to your situation, from my own experience in using various SSRI, I would not able to stay on any of them because of the side effects of anxiety if it weren't for the use of "Combination Medication Therapy"

I am convinced from personal experience of taking many of these ADs - that if you explain this to your doctor, he should have no problems prescribing you a low-dose benzodiazepine that will allow you to continue using your Zoloft.  In addition to that, I think he would agree to adjust your starting dosage to 1/2 of what you are taking and slowly build as your body adjusted to the medication :grinning-smiley-003:

What really bothers me, is that many doctors try to prescribe a full starting dosage, instead of using only 1/2 the dosage to start, and then not prescribing a small amount of medication to counter the anxiety, until the patient can stabilize on their medication. :angry:

This practice, only causes us to have "really bad experience" :dazed: - that scare the heck out of a poor patient  B-;, already suffering from anxiety, from ever using these wonderful medications - ever again!!!  - this has happened to many of my family members.

Here is an earlier post I made regarding - "Combination Medication Therapy" - that as in my case, the only reason I was able to stay on the various AD's such as Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Celexa.....etc...etc... for required 6-8 weeks at a therapeutic dose, which is how long you need to stay on them for me to get any benefit.

What I learned from my own 'First Hand Experience'  - that the better Psychiatrist and Doctors (which I consider to "Best Practices")  will use "Combination Medication Therapy" for someone who starting an antidepressant for anxiety).

I wish they would have done this when I first starting my antidepressants  :yes:,  to help me control my panic attacks and anxiety - when first starting an antidepressant such as Prozac, and it really helps in helping me stay on it for 4-6 weeks - until I would start to feel the positive benefits of Prozac (which for me, was the most stimulating, but also best one of the BEST  :happy0062: for me (I have been using Prozac for the last several years 20-40 Mg /day).

My doctor explained to me that "Combination Medication Therapy" would accomplish the following:

1.   My doctor used both an Antidepressant/SSRI and a low dose of Benzodiazepine - which really helped me immensely. :yes:

2.   My doctor explained that the Antidepressants will take up to 4 to 6 weeks  ::) to begin relieving anxiety symptoms and in some people if used alone - it can actually increase anxiety initially during the first few weeks  (as It did with me…) .  Which is one reason I had such a hard time staying on antidepressant.

3.   My doctor, further explained to me that the benzodiazepines are fast acting anxiety blockers (bringing me relief within 30-60 minutes) to stop my Panic Attacks caused by a Panic Disorder, and could also  help shield me from additional anxiety that may initially arise from the SSRI or Antidepressant that I was taking (Prozac) . :happy0151:

You may want to ask your doctor about this, It really made a world of difference for me!  :grinning-smiley-003:

My two cents  :twocents:   

I had a couple of doctors who would not prescribe me a benzodiazepine  - but, once I made an appoint with a Psychiatrist they were more than happy to give me the correct medications to help my Panic Disorder and Anxiety attacks.

Combination Medication Therapy -

The strategy is to hold the individual on low-dose benzodiazepines (e.g., alprazolam 0.25 to 0.5 mg tid or qid plus antidepressant) for four to eight weeks. When the patient's panic has abated and antidepressant levels are adequate, the benzodiazepine can be slowly withdrawn.

Hang in there Will,  :grinning-smiley-003:

Check back in and let us know how you are doing  :action-smiley-065:
Hope this helps,

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline will402

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 04:59:26 PM »
Hey thanks for all the replies, I actually halved the dose myself by splitting the pills, only got to day three and gave it. I think maybe if I go again I would defo ask for a benzo.

I would try another type also I think because I only tried sert before when it was fine and then a few weeks ago when it was not, so the odds are that another one would be ok right?

Do you know if the increase anxiety side effect goes after around two weeks? or when the drug kicks in?

I have no problem waiting along time for the drug to kick in but the increase in side effects would be too much.

Will
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 05:30:22 PM »
I would expect any increased anxiety due to the Sertraline would be gone long before 2 weeks sonce you only took it for 3 days.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Tags: