Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hiatal hernia - irrational fear of cancer.  (Read 111 times)

Offline kat44

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hiatal hernia - irrational fear of cancer.
« on: July 02, 2014, 08:01:12 PM »
I'm new here but glad I found this site.  I am a 44 year old woman with a diagnosed hiatal hernia.  I have been experiencing typical symptoms - heartburn, stomach discomfort along with GERD.  My symptoms got worse after a four month chronic cough which was finally attributed to my blood pressure meds which have been changed.  I recently had a physical and everything came back fine, but I have struggled with health anxiety for years and always seem to be looking for the worst (not a hernia or GERD but cancer).  My anxiety often exacerbates my symptoms, along with bringing back pain, muscle pain, shortness of breath and all sorts of other issues but I do take meds to help control it.   I do see my GI doctor next week but I just feel better writing this because I know others have dealt with the same types of things and it feels good to know you're not alone.  I just don't want this to take over my life but I feel like it often does.  Thanks for listening and any advice would be welcomed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 41
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hiatal hernia - irrational fear of cancer.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:23:36 PM »
Nice to meet you!  Just sorry it's under these circumstances.

I wish I had great life-changing advice but I'm still figuring this all out myself.  Mostly I just try to remind myself that the doctors say I'm fine, and they know better than I do.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: