Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Please tell me I'm being irrational (amoeba fear)  (Read 155 times)

Offline blakebeck94

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Please tell me I'm being irrational (amoeba fear)
« on: July 02, 2014, 04:27:32 PM »
I've been doing fine these past few days anxiety free and relaxed. But then, while riding my bike today, I came across some water running from somebody's yard (they either were watering plants or washing their car) and some of it splashed into my mouth and possibly my nose. Of course my first thought is "brain eating amoeba" and I've been a wreck since. I don't even know if it got up my nose, and even if it did, I'm sure it didn't get very far up there, but still. I'm being completely irrational, I know, but I just need somebody to tell me I'm an idiot and I shouldn't be worried about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please tell me I'm being irrational (amoeba fear)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 04:33:29 PM »
Well, I certainly won't call you and idiot... :sprachlos020: But I will tell you what you already know: you're feeding the irrational fear and you definitely, 100,000,000 % shouldn't be worried about it! :action-smiley-065:

Now smile! :yes:

Bookmark and Share

Offline blakebeck94

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 05:25:18 PM »
Thank you for the reassurance, redapples. Still a little anxious, but I'm calming down a bit. I have a headache but that's likely from tension.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 08:03:15 PM »
Any fear of this amoeba is irrational.  The odds are just so low you'd have more of a reason to be scared to make toast in the morning in case you caught the house on fire.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 12:53:03 AM »
Thank you for the reassurance, redapples. Still a little anxious, but I'm calming down a bit. I have a headache but that's likely from tension.

How are you doing now? Hopefully you're feeling great again. :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 07:13:08 AM »
the organism in question tends to only live in warm bodies of water. There has never been a case of infection from a situation like you describe.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lars Thorwald

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 11:07:01 AM »
When I was a kid I was out all day, everyday, in the Texas summer heat playing baseball or basketball or riding bikes. We didn't have water bottles or money to buy a soda so we went to random houses, turned on the outdoor spicket and drank from the hose. We did this all of the time. No amoebas, no illnesses, no problem! Take care.
Bookmark and Share
"For days after death, hair and fingernails continue to grow but phone calls taper off." --Johnny Carson

Offline Tunnelvisionary

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 11:31:14 AM »
When I was a kid I was out all day, everyday, in the Texas summer heat playing baseball or basketball or riding bikes. We didn't have water bottles or money to buy a soda so we went to random houses, turned on the outdoor spicket and drank from the hose. We did this all of the time. No amoebas, no illnesses, no problem! Take care.
That sounds awesome. I miss being a kid. I used to drink from the hose too, and nothing bad ever happened.
Bookmark and Share
Anxiety disorders in a nutshell.

Anxiety/Uncertainty ---> Checking/Reassurance/Googling behaviors ---> Brief relief but fuels obsessiveness about disease. ---> Repeat

Stop anxiety by stopping the checking/reassurance/googling! Tough at first, but stick with it.

Offline blakebeck94

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 12:43:05 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm much more relaxed now and I think this is behind me. I'm sure after a few more days I'll realize how stupid this fear was. Just gotta get on with my life!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: