Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How much chlrine do you have to inhale to be poisoned? Would I be able to tell  (Read 105 times)

Offline NeurosisOsmosis

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
if I had chlorine poisoning? I was messing with the pool, and I inhaled some chlorine when I was using chlorine tablets.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
You would have symptoms like these (source CDC):

During or immediately after exposure to dangerous concentrations of chlorine, the following signs and symptoms may develop:
        Blurred vision
        Burning pain, redness, and blisters on the skin if exposed to gas. Skin injuries similar to frostbite can occur if it is exposed to liquid chlorine
        Burning sensation in the nose, throat, and eyes
        Coughing
        Chest tightness
        Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath. Thesemay appear immediately if high concentrations of chlorine gas are inhaled, or they may be delayed if low concentrations of chlorine gas are inhaled.
        Fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema) that may be delayed for a few hours
        Nausea and vomiting
        Watery eyes
        Wheezing
    Showing these signs or symptoms does not necessarily mean that a person has been exposed to chlorine.

Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Offline NeurosisOsmosis

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
You would have symptoms like these (source CDC):

During or immediately after exposure to dangerous concentrations of chlorine, the following signs and symptoms may develop:
        Blurred vision
        Burning pain, redness, and blisters on the skin if exposed to gas. Skin injuries similar to frostbite can occur if it is exposed to liquid chlorine
        Burning sensation in the nose, throat, and eyes
        Coughing
        Chest tightness
        Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath. Thesemay appear immediately if high concentrations of chlorine gas are inhaled, or they may be delayed if low concentrations of chlorine gas are inhaled.
        Fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema) that may be delayed for a few hours
        Nausea and vomiting
        Watery eyes
        Wheezing
    Showing these signs or symptoms does not necessarily mean that a person has been exposed to chlorine.

Could chlorine cause brain problems?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
From what I'm reading from the CDC no it can't but I would take general precaution around it. Just a lot of damage if you inhale it concentrated. There's no real measurement for the amount it would take to make you be poisoned but in general in you have these symptoms than you should remove yourself from it for your health. In your case it was diluted if put into the pool, you may have mild symptoms, but it wasn't pure chlorine which would be an entirely different situation.
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
Wow!  I did that one time (years ago!)  I was throwing in powdered chlorine and the wind kicked it back in my face and I breathed some in (or I imagined I did??), I kept feeling like it was in my throat and up my nose!  Nothing happened.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: