Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Roll call -- seasonal allergies amping up anxiety  (Read 291 times)

Offline Worrier1978

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Roll call -- seasonal allergies amping up anxiety
« on: July 02, 2014, 09:35:30 AM »
I keep reading about people's seasonal allergies contributing to their anxiety & wondered how many of us there were on here. I'm also wondering if anyone feels like their allergies are more head/sinus based this year than normal? I know mine are. Usually my allergy symptoms are stuffy, itchy, runny nose, itchy & watery eyes, and itchy mouth. I've had some of that, especially in the morning or after being outside, but this year it's more sinus pressure than anything else. And my ears seem to be affected this year, too. I have an off balance feeling (not really dizzy, but like my body is slowly swaying when it's not -- kind of like a too much caffeine feeling) that comes & goes. It seems to happen in correlation to my allergies flaring up, but I wonder if it's not anxiety, too.

Ugh, it's awful. I've tried 24 hour Claritin, but it doesn't seem to really help. I've tried Pseudoephedrine (30mg) & it does seem to help break up my sinus congestion, but the results are often short-lived. (And I'm afraid of taking too much because I know it can make anxiety worse.) We have a neti pot, which I've never used, but I might end up trying that to see if it provides relief. Other than that, I try to keep my mind off of it as best as I can, which isn't easy at times. And I stay inside as much as possible, especially during the high pollen counts, and run the A/C when necessary. The last few days have been really hot & there's a forecast of rain either today or tomorrow, so I'm wondering if that's why my sinuses are so bad right now. I'm noticing that my sinuses seem to get worse right before we get rain. Anyone else notice this? I'm in Vermont, by the way.

If anyone has found anything that helps them, please share! Also, I thought maybe our posts would help anyone else suffering from what sounds like sinus headaches. Because, no, it's not a tumor! (Even though so many of us may have that thought!) :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Heli00

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Roll call -- seasonal allergies amping up anxiety
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 12:10:15 AM »
Just came across your post as I was searching for fellow sufferers.  I too have been experiencing extreme sinus pressure this last week.  It's like I have a cold but no mucus. My ears are bugging me the most, I can hear but it's somewhat muffled and I feel like I need to pop my ears.  They are crackling a lot but not clearing up as normal.  I feel a little off balance like my head weighs more on one side.  The creepy feeling has really affected my anxiety, I have been doing really well for the last few years but my aunt just passed from cancer and now every little weird thing is setting me off into the panic cycle. We are in a deep drought here with no rain in sight and tons of wildfires in the surrounding mountains making the air horrible. I know realistically  it's allergies but I keep letting the doubts creep back in. The Dr. told me to take a decongestant and antihistamine but I'm too afraid it will make my anxiety worse. I also have a neti pot so that is my next step.  I can't let it get me down this time, too many people depend on me. First thought for me was tumor as well, lol I hate my HA!!
Bookmark and Share

Online fordaisy

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 12:15:50 AM »
I've had this as well these past few days. My ears are plugged, tension headache and sneezing like crazy. My eyes are red and itchy too. I woke up in the middle of the night last night searching the net about red eye, thinking it was an eye infection! My dogs have been sneezing as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 02:27:17 AM »
This post hits home for me. I know that me and warrior probably have discussed this a lot. My head has not been feeling as tight but that could have been tension. I am trying to keep note of my symptoms to see what could be triggering them, sinuses or anxiety. I still have a bit of nasal congestion and I know what that swaying feeling is like. It's the main trigger that set off my anxiety back in feb when my sinus problem began. And I think my anxiety could have actually made the symptoms linger.

I was taking same meds as you and no change really. I ran out of Claritin and honestly, there's no difference in me taking them or not but I'm gonna continue. It's the only one that don't make me feel weird.  From my ct scan my infection was never totally cleared up to begin with. So it might still be there or not. I'm getting antibiotic Tuesday for a tooth infection which right now is more of my concern so if I still do have a sinus infection maybe it will help.

I wish I had never had this problem cause it really did do a number on my anxiety. If it had not messed with my ears, it would not have triggered my anxiety. But the the floor moving feeling and swaying was the huge trigger.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Tags: