Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: why does my doctor not take my symptoms seriously? nodes, itchiness!  (Read 321 times)

Offline Lililanny

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
She has always been thorough and understanding however the past couple of times I have seen her she is pretty much dismissing my symptoms. I've seen her a few times about the 3 enlarged nodes in my neck. Then a couple of weeks ago a new lump appeared right on top of my left collarbone. She checked it the other day and said its a node but that like all my others, its fine, and no need to biopsy, and that I'm very "nodey". I have a chronicle itchy underarm and breast too and have been told its nothing. She has done a breast exam twice. I just can't get past this though. When I can physically see and feel these lumps, of course I'm going to worry. Should I go see another doctor?
Bookmark and Share
Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got - Graffito

Offline rileybug

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: why does my doctor not take my symptoms seriously? nodes, itchiness!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »
A second opinion never hurts-especially  with HA peeps.If it will give you peice of mind-go for it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 04:00:25 PM »
I probably would've eventually come to terms with the 3 nodes in my neck cos I've had them for a while. But now this collarbone popped up and I've regressed completely on this. I just don't know what to do :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jewls122

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 04:48:28 PM »
I feel the same way about my Dr I emailed her today about my twictching/muscle spasams and she told me to take a couple buspar or benedryl and go to bed.. What in the world is wrong with these drs?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 06:42:12 PM »
most anxious people think docs are not listening to them.  that is a common lament here at AZ.

what I learned, eventually, when my anxiety was off the charts, was that I was the one who wasn't listening to the doctors or family or friends.. 

What is wrong with the doctors?  Really nothing.  they see REAL illness every day.  They know when a node looks hinky.  they know when a spasm is a problem.  they also know when physical symptoms are a manifestation of emotional distress.

You both seem to want additional testing.  In the short term it will make you WORSE because then you will construe that the doctor is doing it because she/he thinks there is something wrong  (even IF he/she says it is for reassurance or "to be sure").  You will spend days or weeks fretting.  which only deepens the anxiety disorder and keeps the mind and body amped up.  I read posts like this every day.  Then the test day arrives.  The person is beside him/herself for the tests and for days afterward.   Ahhh results day. The result will fall flat because  you will either doubt the test or move onto the next disease fear.   In the end you are still living in fear.   Remember a doctor is supposed to "do no harm"  Ordering unnecessary tests go against that.

Let's look at it another way....  suppose a doctor ordered all manner  of diagnostic tests on every person who came into his/her office.  Even when the doc knows the test was unnecessary.  Besides thinking a doc who did that was getting financial gain from this testing,  what is wrong with doing that?  Many of these tests are invasive.  Many come with their own risks and complications.  then there is the expense of these tests.  Doctors have to justify medical tests to insurance companies.  Is this a good thing?   Let's add another issue with doing this:  People with anxiety.  Will these unnecessary tests be helpful,  REALLY?   Truthfully "peace of mind" tests do no such thing for a HA person.  A HA person will either 1.  doubt the test--it was done too early, the doc read it wrong,  it wasn't the right test  or 2.  the person will believe THAT test and be sated, for the moment, anyway.  but soon, sometimes 24hrs later or a week or a month or a year,  some new crop of symptoms, not covered by the previous test, will show up and the person will be a mess again.  You don't have to believe me, but take a look around the forum and you will see such posts of people going from test to test and still not finding solace. 

It isn't that the doc isn't listening  especially in your two situations.  The doc just knows the nodes or the twitching are not from a dire disease.

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 07:57:43 PM »
So true Sixpack!  And with a HA benign symptoms are always the worst case scenario illness.  It's not to deny the fact that there is twitching or swollen nodes, it accepting the fact that sometimes those symptoms do not indicate something more serious.  Doctors know what they are doing, we just have to trust that they do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 06:19:18 AM »
Hi Sixpack, thanks for the reply. You said some wise things, which I appreciate. My doc hasn't referred me for tests in a long time now, which in one way I'm grateful for, for the reasons you described, but in another way makes me fret because I think something bad is lurking.
But these symptoms are seriously driving me nuts. Itchy from my underarm to my breast, nipple included, achey feeling in my chest on the same side, 3 enlarged nodes in my neck and now another new enlarged node on my collarbone. Am I the only one hearing alarm bells???
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 10:35:01 AM »
frankly I don't see alarm bells.  Nodes swell for all kinds of minor reasons:  simple virus' that show no symptoms but get the immune symptom reacting, bug bites....  there is a thing called "shottty nodes"  which means nodes that just stay enlarged for no reason.  IF your nodes were a big deal, they would continue growing and you would be sick.

I get itchy under arm/s and itchy boobs.  Underarms itch, often, due  to an ingredient in anti-persperient.  My nipple area will itch because I get hairs that grow on the edge of my aureolas.  I will shave them off (carefully of course).  when hairs grow, it can itch. 

Finally itchiness, if paid attention to OR made into something sinister creates JUST enough  reason for your anxious mind to keep the itching up.  Swollen nodes often stay enlarged because the owner of those nodes won't leave them alone.  It takes nodes a few weeks to go down on there own. .  However if a person is fiddling around with them, it keeps them puffed up.  It is sorta like a scab, if you pick at it, it takes longer to heal.

if you think your doctor is wrong, you can certainly get 2nd or 3rd opinions.  I am sure you will be able to find a doctor who will just order additional testing.  Lots of people here at AZ do just that.  Now does that actually make things better?  some people think it does...  However what I see, more often than not, provided the person believes the new doc or medical testing, is they just end up cycling to a new illness.  The time varies:  could be a day, a week, a month, some make it a year
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: