Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: seritonie syndrome ssri ah help  (Read 143 times)

Offline Kenzie

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
seritonie syndrome ssri ah help
« on: July 01, 2014, 11:46:16 PM »
I recently got put on a new anti depressant and now I'm scared of Seritonie syndrome and I'm having an anxiety attack from it I only took one pill today my first day on this medicine and I'm thinking of telling my dr I don't want to be on a anti depressant that has that as a side affect someone help does anyone know of any meds that don't cause seritonine syndrome
Bookmark and Share

Offline Buddy122

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: seritonie syndrome ssri ah help
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 11:51:38 PM »
Serotonin Syndrome would only be considered if you had taken more than your prescribed dosage and/or have combined your medication with something else that would affect your serotonin levels. Things such as other SARIs or drugs like xtc and molly, to name a few. What are you taking? A lot of those medications cause a bit of anxiety until they build up in your system.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 11:54:11 PM »
Don't worry about Serotonin syndrome....you have no reason to ...

Serotonin syndrome is rare. It can happen if you take an MAOI within 14 days of an SSRI or SNRI, or if you mix St. John's Wort, 5HTP, Tyrosine, etc. with an anti - depressant.

Please don't give up on your new med - if you feel nervous, just ask your doctor about Serotonin syndrome and he/she will explain it to you.

Remember, pharmacies, and doctors know what you are taking. If anything would cause it, your doctor wouldn't prescribe it if you are on something else (Like MAOI inhibitors or St. Johns Wort).
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kenzie

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 11:56:15 PM »
They have me on this new medicine that just came out 7 months ago called brintellix 10 mg and I took it around 9am today my first day taking it I took my Xanax yesterday And last night but not today and when I read about serotonin syndrome it seriously scared me and I can't sleep :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kenzie

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 11:57:30 PM »
No I don't take anything else besides that i haven't even taken a xanax at all today cause I was too scared to even mix them :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 12:13:21 AM »
You have nothing to worry about.

I'm on Prozac and Lorazepam ( a benzo like xanax) and have no problems. )

Here's what I found about your med: Don't take with  triptans, tricyclic antidepressants, fentanyl, lithium, tramadol, tryptophan, buspirone, and St. John's Wort), and with drugs that impair metabolism of serotonin (in particular, MAOIs- ginseng, cocaine, amphetamines, imitrex, etc.

Benzo's not mentioned, as benzos and SSRI's have been used safely for years. :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kenzie

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 12:16:34 AM »
Ugh your so awesome thank you I was so scared like freaking out I want to keep taking my Xanax but my dr doesn't want me to how do I bring this up to her it's so hard cause she said it wasn't a good idea but Xanax really calms me Down and I have been taking it 3 times a day as directed
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kenzie

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 12:23:38 AM »
I know I said I don't want to rely on Xanax anymore but I realized it has helped so much with my anxiety and sleep this is so hard
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 12:27:31 AM »
I would ask your Doctor if you can "wean" off the Xanax and only use it "as needed". Just because she didn't need it, she shouldn't project that onto you.

But, from what I read about Brintellix, you aren't going to even need xanax. It seems to be a calming antidepressant  :action-smiley-065:

I used to take 4 Lorazepam daily. When I first started Prozac, I was only on Lorazepam.... (the first time I started P-Zac).

About 7 weeks in, I noticed I was actually "forgetting" to take my morning Lorazepam...and then my afternoon one.... Prozac really relaxed me when it kicked in. I only use Lorazepam at night and sometimes during the day if I get a break through anxiety attack.

Maybe you can ask your doc if you can use it in an "emergency".  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kenzie

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 12:32:44 AM »
That's a great idea!! Since urgent care prescribed it to me it's thier fault hehehe but I read that too about my new meds so I'm only hoping for the best even tho I had a panic attack 20 mins ago but it is day one of this medicine so we shall see I'm hoping she can do something about that for me I go back in 4 weeks so I can wait until then but I don't have enough Xanax to last me 4 weeks maybe since I didn't take it today that's why I was having a panic attack I was on Prozac long ago and it didn't work for me and my phys told me it's cause I needed to go to low self esteem classes so I stopped seeing her but this was like 5 years ago haha
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 12:46:32 AM »
 :yes: Right. Urgent care prescribed it...and as a doctor, your doctor should know that benzo's should not be discontinued without weaning. (but in some cases, with meds like Pzac and yours, and a few others, weaning isn't necessary).

It could be that in the back of your mind, you felt you "needed" the xanax....and had a panic attack. But, that was 20 min ago so it didn't last long. I used to have ones that lasted hours!

I think your Brintellix is working....already  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kenzie

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 01:00:22 AM »
Oh man I swear I had a panic attack that lasted me a week or so it felt like it last Sunday not this past one but last one out of no where and I finally started to feel myself again a few days ago! But I shall see how I feel when I go see the dr in 4 weeks! She did say that this med was great for anxiety and depression and I read someone on the internet even tho it isn't said to treat gad it can help with that
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 01:04:17 AM »
I've had similar attacks that seemed to last for days. I think that's what they mean by "generalized anxiety"...where you're in that state of anxiety/panic non-stop. It's like someone put the brakes on while having an attack and you  get stuck.  :sprachlos020:

Well, you were still on xanax when you had that attack, right? So maybe it wasn't working so good after all.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kenzie

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 01:16:59 AM »
Oh no no no haha I'll tell you all about it... Ok I smoked pot for about five years and last year I stopped due to anxiety then I slowly started again and then got In the habit of smoking everyday and I was fine then out of nowhere last sounds me and my guy went out for drinks and I smoked but mind you I'm always in a panic no matter what it is driving sitting at home going to sleep waking up etc so we went to dinner and out of no where I felt weird I knew I was having a panic attack so we had to leave dinner I was to scared to even smoke the next day I don't smoke cigs at all never have and I felt weird I couldn't even go to work that's when I went to urgent care and the dr hooked me up to a EKG and all that fun stuff so then nothing was wrong and I told him about my anxiety and that's when he prescribed me the Xanax I was to scared to take it tho so Tuesday rolls around I go to work and I'm still having a panic attack work was so hard to get through and I was still too scared to take the Xanax so then wed rolls around and I'm still in a panic it sent me to the hospital and I was fine got all these tests done they gave me Xanax and hooked me up to an Iv and I was supposed to work Thursday and I was so xanax ex out I did go to work and my bf had to call my job to tell them the dr said I need to work on my health before cing back to work even tho that didn't happen but it was hard for me to eat and get out of bed and all this stuff so I made a drs apt with a family dr that I went to Monday but I suffer fr depression and stuff and my boss told my bf he loves having me work there and to call him if I want to come back to work in a few weeks which I hope they will hire me back it was no fun not being able to get out of bed at all and to just want to sleep my apt was a mess I had no motivation for anything but I started taking the Xanax that Thursday after the hospital
Bookmark and Share

Tags: