Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can someone please help-- so i don't have to google?  (Read 174 times)

Offline naynaydevil2

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can someone please help-- so i don't have to google?
« on: July 01, 2014, 05:59:53 PM »
My symptoms that ive already posted about are still here. One sore spot on the inside of my throat the spot is about the size of a pea maybe a dime..... nothing else besides that hurts in my throat, neck pain on that side and ear pain.... a little worse when i swallow.

anyway i have an ent appt in 2 days at 9 am. and my anxiety is driving me crazy until then. Can someone *****WHO IS NOT AFRAID OF THROAT CANCER********* maybe google or research for me the MAIN symptoms and the stats? if i do it i'll become obsessed and stay on it all night!!!!

And--- what does anyone think about the above symptoms?!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sheepsy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can someone please help-- so i don't have to google?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 06:08:10 PM »
Sounds like some sort of infection, maybe a sinus infection? Especially since you said you have ear pain. But it does sound like some sort of infection.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 06:34:48 PM »
I Googled for you because I was not afraid of throat cancer, but now I am! (jk, not really) But I did look up the symptoms and you don't have most of them. I won't tell you what they are because then you'll probably start thinking about them and worrying that you maybe do have them. But they are peculiar enough that if you had them, you would have mentioned them, so I'm not going to worry you about them except to say that you don't have them.

Certainly pain is one symptom of it, but it is also a symptom of so many other things that it's not worth worrying about it just from that one thing. You ENT will check it out in a couple of days and I'm sure it will be something simple like tonsillitis or a sinus infection. Until then I hope I have reassured you somewhat.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tunnelvisionary

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 06:56:44 PM »
Just fyi, the act of googling isn't necessarily the problem. It's seeking reassurance that you are okay through googling symptoms that's the problem. Having someone else do it for you may be a "smarter" way to seek reassurance, but you're still doing the same thing by asking others to check that you are okay for you. It's seeking reassurance that will keep you obsessing. Your mind will always go "Wait, but did that person read it right? Did they check through ALL the symptoms? Do they know what to look for? Better check it myself just to be certain."

If you want to break out of the needless anxiety loop, you're going to have to stop checking your body and stop trying any form of reassurance. If in two months or something, the pain is debilitating or growing, then check with a doctor. But since you are in an anxious state, it is likely anxiety is amplifying the sensation of pain. Take care of the anxiety by stopping the checking and the reassurance completely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDeLVYq_xdg
Bookmark and Share
Anxiety disorders in a nutshell.

Anxiety/Uncertainty ---> Checking/Reassurance/Googling behaviors ---> Brief relief but fuels obsessiveness about disease. ---> Repeat

Stop anxiety by stopping the checking/reassurance/googling! Tough at first, but stick with it.

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 07:13:11 PM »
Sounds like some sort of infection, maybe a sinus infection? Especially since you said you have ear pain. But it does sound like some sort of infection.

SHEEPY==
I think you are right from the sounds of the symptoms-- plus i do get a bad taste in my mouth now and then thru out the days. if there was some sort of infection that the ER drs (yes i went to the er and the dr said no need for any tests) ... couldnt see... wouldnt i be getting sicker after 3 weeks to  a month of this? or have fever?
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 07:14:30 PM »
I Googled for you because I was not afraid of throat cancer, but now I am! (jk, not really) But I did look up the symptoms and you don't have most of them. I won't tell you what they are because then you'll probably start thinking about them and worrying that you maybe do have them. But they are peculiar enough that if you had them, you would have mentioned them, so I'm not going to worry you about them except to say that you don't have them.

Certainly pain is one symptom of it, but it is also a symptom of so many other things that it's not worth worrying about it just from that one thing. You ENT will check it out in a couple of days and I'm sure it will be something simple like tonsillitis or a sinus infection. Until then I hope I have reassured you somewhat.

Thanks toasted--- i just read your quote about doubting other people googling for me lol. i guess over anxious people underestimate and 2nd everyone including drs. lol but yes-- you are right and i was thinking that
Bookmark and Share

Online Gemgrl2000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:50:52 PM »
I'm also in freak out mode right now over pretty much the same thing except I have no pain. I can feel a small lump when I swallow. I don't feel it when I'm swallowing food or drink and it comes and goes throughout the day.

Hey, ATLEAST you went to the Dr.. I can't even do that because I'm terrified of them!

So many things could be causing this.. I myself have had a huge amount of drainage and a bit of reflux. Seems I'm seeing a lot of that outcome here.. Take a deep breath and get it over with.. You'll feel better once it's done.
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 09:07:44 PM »
Lol I'm the total opposite...i CANT wait to go to the Dr. The anxiety is ripping me up just thinking about getting thru tomorrow. Maybe if I didn't smoke, I wouldn't be AS scared. I have an appt with my gp tomorrow....and the Ent on Thursday.

I wonder if my gp knows enough about this stuff to rule it out without tests, because I know at least the Ent will do a scope or something. *sigh*
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 09:09:11 PM »
Also...the ER Dr did rule out strep throat and an ear infection if this is caused by infection ....going on for this long....wouldnt I feel worse overall and probably have a fever?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: