Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Today is my bad day  (Read 459 times)

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
Re: Today is my bad day
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »
How funny- you do have a birthday this week :laugh3:

With allergy meds, I find anything with pseudo ephedrine  causes bad palps...in fact, most "decongests" or anything with a -D can cause them.

Plain Allegra doesn't  but Allegra D does.

But Toasted- what about nasal sprays? Those go right to the source :)

I use Flonase, Astepro and my trusty Arm and Hammer. (all sprays) :yes:

Hope that headache goes away soon!

Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 04:10:52 PM »
Typically I can not stand the way nasal sprays burn my sinuses, but if they will help I'll use them anyway. I tried a nasal spray my doctor prescribed but it kept me from sleeping and gave me nightmares when I could sleep (it also did nothing to help my sinuses). I think it was a steroid spray. I would never use it again... but I might try a plain saline spray if it would help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »
Toasted- when I first started using Nasal sprays, I had the burning, too.

I went to a new Doc who asked me to show him how I was administering them.

Turns out, there is a trick to it...which most ENT's don't bother telling us.

My doc told me to hold my head forward...bent forward as if looking at my feet.

Hold one nostril shut, and squirt. (do not breathe in while squirting!!!) After squirting, then take a light breath through the nose as if smelling a flower, don't suck that stuff all the way up your nose and into your throat. 

He told me that the spray knows where to go with just that gentle "sniff" after squirting.

Then repeat on the other side, and you're done.

The Arm and Hammer is good, too. You can suck that all the way up your nose and down your throat and spit it out if you want. I do. It feel like I'm giving my sinuses a shower. Plus it helps keep things moist which is what we need in the first place.

:action-smiley-065: Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 05:26:08 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I'll give Arm and Hammer a try and follow your suggestions. I took a non-drowsy 24 hour allergy tablet about 1 1/2 hours ago. I can feel my sinuses starting to break up a little and can breathe a bit easier than before but the headache is actually worse right now than it was. I probably just need to give it some time to do its thing. No weird heart palpitations or anything yet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I'll give Arm and Hammer a try and follow your suggestions. I took a non-drowsy 24 hour allergy tablet about 1 1/2 hours ago. I can feel my sinuses starting to break up a little and can breathe a bit easier than before but the headache is actually worse right now than it was. I probably just need to give it some time to do its thing. No weird heart palpitations or anything yet.

Don't say YET!!! You're not going to get heart palps.  :action-smiley-065:

Off topic, I have to say every time I see this post's title, I feel like breaking out into song "happy bad day to you". (the birthday thing. ) :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 06:22:15 PM »
Ha!  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »
I'm glad I got that out of my system!

PS...I see a thing that says "Rec's" near members names. What is that? I see one by my name, too. ??? :action-smiley-065: I clicked mine but nothing happens. Just curious. :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 07:07:49 PM »
I think it's short for "recommendations" and when somebody give you a thumbs-up it adds one to the number. I gave you a thumbs-up for your recommendations about how to use the saline spray. You're welcome. :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 07:40:28 PM »
I think it's short for "recommendations" and when somebody give you a thumbs-up it adds one to the number. I gave you a thumbs-up for your recommendations about how to use the saline spray. You're welcome. :laugh3:

So that's what it's for! COOL. Thanks for my first thumbs up! :action-smiley-065:

:action-smiley-065: :action-smiley-065: :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 08:29:31 PM »
More than four hours into the allergy meds, I'm still not noticing any negative side effects which is good because I tend to be hypervigilant about drug reactions and side effects. I'm breathing easier, but still have all the vertigo and ears feel plugged, headache is still there but feels more distant. Hurts mostly behind my eyes and in my ears. I still have that feeling when I hear loud sounds like they're intruding into my very skull, but the general anxiety is not so close to the bubbling-over feeling that I had earlier. I'm hopeful that the allergy tablet is helping and that it just needs time to do its thing.

Meanwhile, my wife went to the osteo and he sent her back to the hospital again for CAT scans because her ribs are separated from the sternum and he's worried that they could puncture her lung. He said that her ribs can't heal until they've been set properly, but he's afraid to even touch her until they get the CAT scans so he can see what's going on in there. The hospital should have noticed this when they did their X-rays I would think, but apparently they only looked to see that her lungs were okay before. And she's driving herself back and forth with this problem because I have such bad vertigo that I can't safely drive right now. Ugh, some days it just stinks being a human with health issues and everything.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: