Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Today is my bad day  (Read 317 times)

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Today is my bad day
« on: July 01, 2014, 01:35:15 PM »
I think it's allergies but my head feels like a bomb ready to blow up. Every noise I hear makes it feel like my head is being drilled. I am having a hard time getting enough air and my chest feels like it's being squished. I keep stretching which tells me that my muscles aren't getting the oxygen they want,and  I am so sleepy and dizzy.

If I had a fever then at least I'd be satisfied that I'm just good and sick and then I would go back to bed and feel properly miserable, but no fever so I feel compelled to try to at least get through the day like a normal day but I do not feel normal at all. My anxiety is through the roof and I keep doing relaxation breathing, trying to keep it from bubbling over the top into a full-blown attack. There are all these things that I need to do later today- shopping, taking the wife to the doctor, meeting up with some people- and I'm not looking forward to any of them. I feel like it's just too much for my brain to deal with, like it's going to overload my anxiety buffer.

Ugh... ever have anxiety that you knew good and well was not something serious, but you still felt like you just couldn't handle it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worrier1978

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Today is my bad day
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 01:58:53 PM »
I'm having a rough day, too. Yesterday wasn't that great, either, but I thought I would be busy today, so I worked through it & got a bunch of stuff done. But my anxiety was building up last night & I thought, if I didn't have so much to do tomorrow, I'd call the doctor & make an appointment ASAP for the off balance feeling. Well, this morning my plans for the day fell through, so I called the doctor's office & spoke with a nurse, who wants me to come in. Now I'm just waiting on the office to call me back to let me know when I can get in. So my day has been very anxious! Lots of waiting, changing plans, etc. I don't feel like doing anything because my mind is so scattered. (I keep trying, though.) I think it's a combination of allergies & anxiety causing the off balance feeling, but I'm at the point where I need to rule out anything else it could be because I'm losing so much time worrying about this. It's been going on for 2 months (since my seasonal allergies kicked in), but I haven't seen a doctor about it. I think I could relax a bit about it if I knew for sure it was allergies and/or anxiety. Ugh, it sucks. I feel your pain!!! I hope you get through your day!
Bookmark and Share

Offline rckstr1253

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 02:08:14 PM »
Hope it gets better for you and happy birthday!:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 02:23:56 PM »
Thanks! Um... curious how you deduced I'm having a birthday?
Bookmark and Share

Offline richdelb

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »
I think it's allergies but my head feels like a bomb ready to blow up. Every noise I hear makes it feel like my head is being drilled. I am having a hard time getting enough air and my chest feels like it's being squished. I keep stretching which tells me that my muscles aren't getting the oxygen they want,and  I am so sleepy and dizzy.

I have been getting these same symptoms a LOT lately, so I feel your pain.  Hope your day inproves....
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 02:32:43 PM »
Thanks; it is difficult not to feel anxious when you have these symptoms, even if you don't worry that it's some rare and serious disease. The symptoms themselves are distressing enough by themselves. I also have a sort of back-of-the-mind worry that any congestion that starts to become a cough might turn into pneumonia, and the thought of drowning in my own lung fluid terrifies me! I'm not obsessing over that right now, though; I'm just worried that I won't be able to do all the things I need to because my anxiety will prevent me from functioning.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 03:06:43 PM »
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. I've had the same thing in the past...knowing full well it's anxiety... and then there's that brick wall called "BUT".

It surely does sound like your allergies- perhaps even a sinus headache the way you described  how each noise makes your head feel like it's being drilled. Do you use any nasal sprays, or allergy meds?

If you don't like to use RX Sprays, maybe try going  au Natural with Arm and Hammer Simply Saline Allergy Sinus. It comes in a can. 3 diff. ways to use it. Feels so good.

PS thought it was your birthday, too- because "Today is my bad day" looked like "Today is my birthday" at quick glance... :spineyes: :action-smiley-065: :yes: How about some un-birthday cake, then?

Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 03:07:24 PM »
Thanks; it is difficult not to feel anxious when you have these symptoms, even if you don't worry that it's some rare and serious disease. The symptoms themselves are distressing enough by themselves. I also have a sort of back-of-the-mind worry that any congestion that starts to become a cough might turn into pneumonia, and the thought of drowning in my own lung fluid terrifies me! I'm not obsessing over that right now, though; I'm just worried that I won't be able to do all the things I need to because my anxiety will prevent me from functioning.

Often people are unaware of lung-fluid problems as they don't happen suddenly. By the time you'd notice there would be a real problem. Remember pneumonia isn't terribly lethal either in otherwise healthy individuals.

You'll get through it. Sometimes when I'm in your situation I'll close my eyes and try focusing on the blackness of my eyelids. Gets my mind off my body. I have no idea if it will work for you, but just a suggestion.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 03:15:21 PM »
sorry you are having a tough day.

and nommom  is correct about pneumonia.  Three of my kids have had it.  To me, I see it as no different than ear infections  :angel-smiley-006:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 03:21:24 PM »
Thanks for the replis, and for the suggestion, nomnomicon. I'll give it a try.

Ha, redapples- I didn't think of that! I was curious because I actually do have a birthday this week so I was curious how they could possibly know that!

I have had bad experiences with sinus medications in the past causing heart palps, extreme grogginess, and inability to sleep, so I am reluctant to use them, but today I'm going to pick up some one-a-day type over-the-counter allergy tablets and see if they help. I'll try almost anything to make this go away. I am sure I also have a sinus headache and I just took some ibuprofen for it, hoping it helps with that and the general aching feeling as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »
How funny- you do have a birthday this week :laugh3:

With allergy meds, I find anything with pseudo ephedrine  causes bad palps...in fact, most "decongests" or anything with a -D can cause them.

Plain Allegra doesn't  but Allegra D does.

But Toasted- what about nasal sprays? Those go right to the source :)

I use Flonase, Astepro and my trusty Arm and Hammer. (all sprays) :yes:

Hope that headache goes away soon!

Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 04:10:52 PM »
Typically I can not stand the way nasal sprays burn my sinuses, but if they will help I'll use them anyway. I tried a nasal spray my doctor prescribed but it kept me from sleeping and gave me nightmares when I could sleep (it also did nothing to help my sinuses). I think it was a steroid spray. I would never use it again... but I might try a plain saline spray if it would help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »
Toasted- when I first started using Nasal sprays, I had the burning, too.

I went to a new Doc who asked me to show him how I was administering them.

Turns out, there is a trick to it...which most ENT's don't bother telling us.

My doc told me to hold my head forward...bent forward as if looking at my feet.

Hold one nostril shut, and squirt. (do not breathe in while squirting!!!) After squirting, then take a light breath through the nose as if smelling a flower, don't suck that stuff all the way up your nose and into your throat. 

He told me that the spray knows where to go with just that gentle "sniff" after squirting.

Then repeat on the other side, and you're done.

The Arm and Hammer is good, too. You can suck that all the way up your nose and down your throat and spit it out if you want. I do. It feel like I'm giving my sinuses a shower. Plus it helps keep things moist which is what we need in the first place.

:action-smiley-065: Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 05:26:08 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I'll give Arm and Hammer a try and follow your suggestions. I took a non-drowsy 24 hour allergy tablet about 1 1/2 hours ago. I can feel my sinuses starting to break up a little and can breathe a bit easier than before but the headache is actually worse right now than it was. I probably just need to give it some time to do its thing. No weird heart palpitations or anything yet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I'll give Arm and Hammer a try and follow your suggestions. I took a non-drowsy 24 hour allergy tablet about 1 1/2 hours ago. I can feel my sinuses starting to break up a little and can breathe a bit easier than before but the headache is actually worse right now than it was. I probably just need to give it some time to do its thing. No weird heart palpitations or anything yet.

Don't say YET!!! You're not going to get heart palps.  :action-smiley-065:

Off topic, I have to say every time I see this post's title, I feel like breaking out into song "happy bad day to you". (the birthday thing. ) :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: