Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New member  (Read 95 times)

Offline Manny01

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« on: July 01, 2014, 10:49:36 AM »
Hello. So obviously a newby here so please don't mind the rant. I am a 52 year old male with a drinking issue. Here is my story. I was born into a family of alcoholics. I started drinking at 3 on my gpa's knee. I am of Hispanic dissent so it came naturally. When I was about 9, I was sexually abused by some older neighborhood boys. I tried to tell my dad but he did not listen. Growing up, I was the typical jock and A type personality. I always had to be the best. When I was 18 I became a firefighter for 3 years, then joined the Air Force. I was in Electronic Security. After that, I joined the Dept. of Corrections and did that for 15 years. I was "Mr. Cop". I was the Head instructor for weapons, self-defense, side-handle baton and use of force....I was "that guy". Then I broke my neck and was retired. I spent a year waiting for surgery and got hooked on all kinds of medications. 5 years later, my wife of 25 years divorce me because of my drinking and "growing apart". I have been wondering ever since. I've been to a few therapists and they have suggested that I am ptsd and also suffer from being a "control freak". I've tried different jobs and am currently working with disabled adults. I just finished a 3 day drinking binge and now am suffering tremendous guilt and anxiety. I am they type of person that you would never believe has this problem because I am always in such control. Then I just go berserk! I love my fiancÚ and don't want to lose this opportunity, but more importantly, I don't want to lose myself.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »
Hello Manny.  Welcome to Anxiety Zone...  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Manny, you are in good company.  I am a recovering addict/alcoholic.  I have been clean and sober for over 24 years now.  If you go to the Addiction and Recovery section of the forum, you will see a post that I wrote in early February, when I celebrated my 24th year of sobriety.

I think that you will find Anxiety Zone to be a great support to you.  It certainly has helped me tremendously.

Good to have you here as a member.  The very best to you, Manny!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Manny01

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 11:49:34 AM »
Thanks Chuck. I will check it out and look around. It's funny, the only time I really get this way is after a binge...usually I'm much more in control. Absolutely hate it but I want to get better...Tks
Bookmark and Share

Offline poetpaul

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 01:39:31 PM »
Hi im paul and have had drink problems too 8months clean now but have been smoking pot 2weeks clean but i suffer alot of anxious thoughts and now belive im paranoid too its aweful and effects everyone i meet i hope and pray i can get help too .
Bookmark and Share

Tags: