Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Irregular Mole...skin cancer?  (Read 167 times)

Offline Mom21

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Irregular Mole...skin cancer?
« on: July 01, 2014, 09:42:42 AM »
I have a dark brown mole that is pretty good size. The edges are jagged and there are dark black areas in it. I remember getting it looked at around 6 years ago and the dermatologist said it was fine and I forgot about it. Today I noticed my bra strap is lifting the edge of it up. Now I'm fixated that I have melanoma. I can't remember exactly what it looked like last time it was checked to know whether it's changed or not. It matches some cancer pictures of moles I found online and it looks like the descriptions of melanoma. Has anyone had suspicious moles that turned out to be benign? I'm terrified it's melanoma that's spread.
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Irregular Mole...skin cancer?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:58:21 PM »
Most moles, even really messed-up looking moles, are benign.  It's worth it to get it checked out, but melanoma is pretty rare.  If it hasn't changed much if at all in all these years, it's probably nothing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Josie57

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Irregular Mole...skin cancer?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
even if it has been 6 yrs the reality is that you've had it looked at.  did the derm tell you to keep an eye on it?  did they tell you to come back in a year?  i know for me, I can convince myself in a moment of anxiety that a mole has changed drastically or appeared suddenly.  upon further inspection in a more rational moment the mole looks completely normal.  I'm astounded at how my mind can make things appear depending on where I am mentally.  MM is one of my HA go to's.  I had a basal cell removed 8 yrs ago and a severely dysplastic mole removed 5 yrs ago.  I go to the derm every year at the very least and when I think something is weird.  The dysplastic mole was something I KNEW had changed and I went asap to the derm.  You do know the difference between something real and something in your anxious, irrational mind.  I find oddly that when something is REALLY wrong I'm as calm as a cucumber.  I guess when it is real I can mobilize and act.  It also reminds me that the fear is not really about the health issue but about not having control.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: