Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Nothing new here about "A good night's sleep"  (Read 251 times)

Offline introvrtd1

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
    • Poke This Member
Nothing new here about "A good night's sleep"
« on: July 01, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
Like many of you.....I sleep good some days.....some days, not so good....There are many factors that detract from a good nights sleep, such as taking stimulants before bed.....certain medication, foods, etc. Things that either promote or inhibit sleep.

Alcohol is a way I sometimes self medicate, but although will put me right to sleep at first, will often wake me up in the middle of the night at say, 2, 3 am....Im an early riser for work which puts me in a bad position as far as being fully awake and focused for the day....When Im awaken by the drink, Im often very sleepy again when I get to work.

This turns out to be a vicious cycle of monotony.

Exercise, I found to be my great promoter of sleep.....a sound sleep....a very good nights sleep. Cardiovascular, weight lifting, walking,....anything to get the heart rate going for about 20 mins that day.

Some sleep aid meds work for a while, but they become too addictive for me, so I steer clear.....and there is one in particular when Im not feeling well.....NYQUIL! Nyquil is evil! Although it will knock me right out and keep me out thru the night, it will often rebound the next night if I dont take it! Same goes for the Benzos....uuuuggghh...

Well.....Im no different....to each his/her own when it comes to a good nights rest. Once you've found your own way....stay on course.

Good Luck.......

Intro
Bookmark and Share

Offline saffron

• Dare to be different
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Nothing new here about "A good night's sleep"
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 05:34:02 PM »
Hi Intro, I have sleeping issues too, and I've had them ever since I was little. I have sort of mild anxiety, because I started to randomly have panic attacks for unknown reasons about a month and a half ago. My anxiety is worse at night, because for some reason, that's when I'm most likely to have panic attacks. I don't just have trouble going to sleep, I'm afraid to fall asleep, because I'm terrified of dying in my sleep and never waking up again. There's nothing wrong with my body though, because no matter how terrified I am of not waking up, I still do wake up every morning.

I must admit that I've never used alcohol as a way to go to sleep, but when I was little, I took Melatonin pills. Have you ever heard of melatonin or tried it before?  It's a bit different from meds, because it's a more natural remedy. It's a natural hormone that the body produces, and it helps with circadian rhythm and sleeping. When it's dark, the body produces more of it to help you go to sleep. When it's light, the production of melatonin drops. However, sometimes a person's melatonin levels can get screwed up somehow by any number of factors (your sleeping pattern sounds rather inconsistent, which could definitely mess with your melatonin levels) Taking melatonin pills can definitely help with bringing your levels back to normal. You can also buy it over the counter at most pharmacies.

You're definitely right about exercise too, or just doing enough things during the day to tire your body out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline introvrtd1

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Nothing new here about "A good night's sleep"
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:44:35 AM »
I do have and take melatonin tabs....sometimes....not always......I like the natural sleep I get from rigorous exercise...
Bookmark and Share

Tags: