Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Muscle Spasams... Freaking out!!!  (Read 294 times)

Offline Jewls122

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Muscle Spasams... Freaking out!!!
« on: July 01, 2014, 09:13:08 AM »
Hi All,
I just purchased my first home on Friday and started cleaning, On Saturday I noticed that i am getting these muscle spasams/electric shocks in diffrerent parts of my body. I am so anxious my arms feel like adrenaline is just pumping through them and my stomach hurts this is all present upon waking up in the morning. I also have health anxiety I have not been diagnosed but I always turn a small thing into a major thing and cant stop dwelling or thinking about it. i went to the Drs yesterday and she said that it is stress/anxiety but can it really cause my muscles to feel like they are jumping?? I am so scared that it is ALS or some nerve or neurological disorder. I cant stop googling my sympthoms. She gave be buspar to try but I am afraid to take it. Has anyone had these spasams/electric shocks? How long do they last? I just want them to go away ...

Bookmark and Share

Offline doug65

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Muscle Spasams... Freaking out!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 09:42:12 AM »
Your dr is correct.  I moved into a new home back in February; with the moving, and setting up the house I developed muscle spasms too.  Actually, coupled with other issues, it kicked in my HA after years of not having physical symptoms.  The more I tried to fight HA the more I tensed up and made the spasms worse.  I started doing some stretching and kept exercising and taking time to relax.  It has helped.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline Jewls122

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 10:04:06 AM »
Doug65 Thank you so much. I will try stretching, right now i am trying to not dwell on it because i feel like that makes it worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline doug65

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 10:17:17 AM »
Exactly, the more you think about it, the worse it gets.  I purchased Claire Weekes' book "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" it has been a tremendous help.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 04:43:58 PM »
I certainly dislike spasms and shocks.  I get them.  they are certainly due to my neck/disk issues or from overuse.  When I got myself very anxious or just particularly stressed I got them too.   Other than it hurting, I don't see them as being from some big bad thing. 

I know lots and lots of peeps say they just can't stop BUT, truly, googling is making things worse for you.  if you opt to do it, expect to make your anxiety worse. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Jewls122

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 10:42:10 AM »
Sixpack,
These spasams dont hurt they are just annoying and they kick in my HA bad, Of course then i am like whats wrong with me? and of course i seek the help of Mr Google and that really ramps up for HA. It makes sense that it could be from overuse since I have been cleaning for the past four days in the new house. How long do they normally last for?

Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 12:53:47 PM »
ohhhhhh you mean twitching

yeah that is even MORE  connected to anxious over thinking  OR just nerves getting nervy.  Gawd I used to do that non-stop years and years ago. of course my mind and body were a wreck.  once my mind/body calmed down, the twitching went away.

However EVERYBODY twitches from time to time.  I do occasionally to.  it really is a big fat nothing in the grand scheme of things.  well except for those with HA.   :winking0008:   

how long does it last?  depends on how anxious a mind and body are.  and it depends on how much you pay attention to it.       
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Jewls122

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 01:39:46 PM »
it last a quick second i notice them in my arms and hands mostly my upper body and they are very quick and come and go it might not happen for 20min and then bam, lastnight i was laying down and was perfectly fine. I am so anxious because of it i keep thinking omg whats wrong whats wrong.. and of course i think ALS . I just bought a house on Friday and have been cleaning non stop since I am not sure if that can maybe attribute to it also , It is scaring the crap out of me
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 02:23:47 PM »
every anxious person who twitches think it is THE sign or A sign of ALS and that they have it.  every anxious person here who has thought they had als were wrong.

you don'tt have als.  you are an anxious person who is stressed out from a move/buying a house.

REALYY, REALLY thinking twitching is ALS is flimsy evidence.  Have a look at the thousands and I mean  thousands of posts here at az of those who twitch.  you will see that it is a common complaint here.

I mean you can fret over twitching and ALS if you want, but it will be a TRUE waste of a fret.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 02:47:09 PM »
I would invite you to check out my numerous posts on this subject.  They might help.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Dayvid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 06:43:26 PM »
I went through a phase a few months back. Leg jerks, fingers jumping. Muscle spasms. NO idea why.. but they faded... my finger just jumps every now and again.. hahaha
Bookmark and Share

Tags: