Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Health Anxiety during Peri or Menopause?  (Read 165 times)

Offline br350

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Health Anxiety during Peri or Menopause?
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:27:26 AM »
Any ladies out there who can speak to HA increasing during peri or meno?  I'm turning 48 in a month and have been having cycle changes for the past year or 2.  I know I'm in peri.   My HA has been with me for the majority of my adult life - 25-odd years.  However, I do feel that it has perhaps started to get worse in conjunction with my changing cycles.  :sprachlos020:

I'm interested in hearing how you have navigated this time period in your life - I don't want to run to the doctor to have everything checked!  I have tried to be very diligent in 'sitting' with things and going to regularly scheduled appointments. However, I find that when I do have a fear, it spikes really fast and hard.   Right now, I'm scared about a spot under my toenail (middle toe) fearing it's melanoma.  :(

I am just wondering if the HA will get better after menopause.  How have you handled it during this time of your life? 

Thanks for listening!  :yes:
Bookmark and Share
"Worrying is like a rocking chair: It gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere."

Offline mmd

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: Health Anxiety during Peri or Menopause?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 11:41:40 AM »
I'm 52 and have been suffering from very intense health anxiety for the past 5 years or so. I've been prone to HA all my life and at this time of life it increase 100 fold! It seems like not a day goes by that I fell like I have some kind of awful, fatal disease, because if I didn't why do I feel so bad?  Aches, pains, bloated, bad headaches, diarrhea, constipation, gas, no energy, seborrheic keratoses popping up all over my body ("barnacles of age" - yuck), dizziness, muscle spasms..... you name it!
I've been to the doctor, had blood tests, chest x-ray, CAT scan of brain and they haven't found anything. Of course then I move on to worry about what they HAVEN'T tested for.

Here is a discussion I found while surfing the web one day. It helped me and it may help you some too!
You're not alone by any means! Hang in there! :)
http://www.*****.com/boards/menopause/911177-i-feel-like-im-dying.html
Bookmark and Share

Offline mmd

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
oops! I guess I'm not supposed to post a link. Anyway, just google "menopause I feel like I'm dying".
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gemgrl2000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 04:26:37 PM »
Oh yeah.. I'm right there with you on this one! I'm 45 and smack dab in the middle of peri!

I've had health anxiety for the past 12 years that was sparked by my dad's death by cancer... It was controllable in the beginning but the older I get, the worse I get. Just the thought of going to the Dr now sends me into a panic!

I dragged myself into a Gyno appointment a few months ago where they tested my hormones and officially declared me peri menopausal. My anxiety has been off the charts over the past year.. Mainly because of all the symptoms and not knowing if any of them are serious. That coupled with my intense fear of Drs makes for a miserable existence. I'm not opposed to getting my hormones in check but that will require a Dr visit.. *sigh...

Google to find the list of symptoms of perimenopause ( I think there are like 35) this always helps me to calm down a bit.. Good luck to you.. Hang in there because it's a long and bumpy ride!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 04:37:26 PM »
i am 50.  yeah me !!!!  I can't say I am worse.  I can say my gyno is    :goofy:  she'll ask me questions, some of which I will say, "yes I have x sometimes"  she'll say why not do x test or maybe you should see x doc"  I will say, "really?  aren't these just part of my age?"  lol. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline br350

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 03:13:14 PM »
Thanks sixpack! I can't say it seems worse. It's just different as my emotions sometimes seem more on the surface with hormone changes, etc.  my doctor doesn't really chalk up too much to 'age', but more to how we care for ourselves regardless of age. He's pretty good about knowing when something needs further investigation and I've become more and more test-shy as I age. More out if fear (I know, not good!) than because I think they're unnecessary.  Still, it's a very interesting time of life and so many odd things go on, can be hard to tell what's hormonally driven and what's not. Thanks for chiming in!
Bookmark and Share
"Worrying is like a rocking chair: It gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere."

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »
well I know some are due to age---having heavier periods for one.  During my last gyno exam my doc asked if I have heavier periods. I say, "Yep, some cycles are very heavy."  She says, "well let's do a uterine biopsy"  to which  I said, "gaw really, isn't it due my age?"  she said, "yeah, but you are at the age.  so let's just be sure."  She said let's wait a couple of months.  So I had one to make her happy.   It was normal, of course.  Then she examined me in Feb (I found a lump in my lady bits  so I had her check.  it was a benign nothing).  She looked and said, "Oh, wow, you have a rectocele. Do you a lot of constipation. AND your bladder has dropped.  Do you have stress incontinence?  Do you want to see a urologist?"  I said, "yeah with stress incontinence.  but I've birthed 5 LARGE babies ( my eldest is adopted) and I've had that for years.  It isn't a big deal.  And I am fine with my poos.  I don't need to see any docs on those things.  If it got to be a problem, I will."   I mean the reason you go to those docs is to have all that stuff surgically lifted and frankly these things are not hindering my life, ya know.

so,  Yeah, I think my gyno, who is lovely, is more TEST prone than really necessary.  Luckily my HA is under control, otherwise I think she would scare the corn out of me.   LOL.....

come to think of it, my annual is next week. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: