Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is this Depersonalisation?  (Read 309 times)

Offline Mikeyc

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is this Depersonalisation?
« on: July 01, 2014, 06:01:11 AM »
Hey guys I've been experiencing something I just want to know if this sounds like depersonolisation to you. Everything seems to feel so much more different like everything looks and feels different to what it use to even the carpet in my own house, for example say if I look out a window it feels like whatever is out past that window is all make believe , sometimes I get this sensation that life is kind of like a video game as in like a map where it just seems flat, I no longer enjoy doing what I use to at all. I say things and it feels like I haven't said them, memories feel like I have dreamed and conjured them up in my brain and they actually didn't happen. I say I love people who use to mean the world to me and now it has no feeling to it at all, it feels like I'm floating, kind of like being drunk.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Iradiri

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is this Depersonalisation?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 12:25:59 AM »
It sounds a bit like it. When I first had depersonalization/derealization, I had some feelings that were like that. The primary unsettling feeling was that life wasn't real, and my body wasn't mine. I suppose you could say it was like I was in a video game. In addition, everything around me lost meaning - music was an unsettling jumble of sounds, colors looked flat and meaningless, human faces looked strange and unfamiliar, and my home no longer felt safe. Emotions, words, and life itself no longer meant anything. When I looked at the mirror, I didn't feel like my body was actually mine. It truly makes you feel like you're dreaming, or watching as someone else lives your life. I did often have foggy, almost lightheaded feelings as well. It felt like my senses were behind a sheet of glass. Weird comparison, I know. Maybe you've felt some of these things as well.

It did mostly go away eventually. I've read that it usually doesn't stay forever. I still get it sometimes, though. The main thing I struggle with now is that I often feel incredibly weird and out of place. I just feel like I don't belong in this reality. I also occasionally have something I like suddenly lose meaning, which is irritating.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kenzie

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 12:36:29 AM »
I get that way too where everything feels unreal I feel like I'm looking at a painting sometimes and it just feels weird but I think it happens to me cause I was stupid and experimented with LSD but it still is awful I know how you feel
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mikeyc

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 12:16:16 PM »
It sounds a bit like it. When I first had depersonalization/derealization, I had some feelings that were like that. The primary unsettling feeling was that life wasn't real, and my body wasn't mine. I suppose you could say it was like I was in a video game. In addition, everything around me lost meaning - music was an unsettling jumble of sounds, colors looked flat and meaningless, human faces looked strange and unfamiliar, and my home no longer felt safe. Emotions, words, and life itself no longer meant anything. When I looked at the mirror, I didn't feel like my body was actually mine. It truly makes you feel like you're dreaming, or watching as someone else lives your life. I did often have foggy, almost lightheaded feelings as well. It felt like my senses were behind a sheet of glass. Weird comparison, I know. Maybe you've felt some of these things as well.

It did mostly go away eventually. I've read that it usually doesn't stay forever. I still get it sometimes, though. The main thing I struggle with now is that I often feel incredibly weird and out of place. I just feel like I don't belong in this reality. I also occasionally have something I like suddenly lose meaning, which is irritating.

The senses behind a sheet of glass bit is exactly what I can relate to
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 05:57:27 PM »
Hi Mike, :action-smiley-065:

Yes! ::)  - I call this the "Twilight- Zone State" B-; -  I had these before we had common medical terms we now call  "Depersonalization" and "Derealization"

I was originally diagnosed with Panic Disorder and OCD and GAD - Once I started the medication - 6-8 weeks later this "Twilight- Zone State" B-; - disappeared along with my Panic Disorder, and later after 6 months or so, at higher dosage my OCD finally disappeared.  In my experience, all these disorders appear to have a common root - a chemical imbalance in the brain - that for me was quickly corrected by using an SSRI medication - compared to years of unproductive CBT therapy.

Here is what the Mayo Clinic states:

Symptoms of depersonalization include:
•   Feelings that you're an outside observer of your thoughts, feelings, or parts of your body,  as if you were floating in air above yourself
•   Feeling like a robot or that you're not in control of your speech or movements
•   The sense that your body, legs or arms appear distorted, enlarged or shrunken, or that your head is wrapped in cotton
•   Emotional or physical numbness of your senses or responses to the world around you
•   A sense that your memories lack emotion, and that they may or may not be your own memories

Symptoms of derealization include:

•   Feelings of being alienated from or unfamiliar with your surroundings, perhaps like you're living in a movie
•   Feeling emotionally disconnected from people you care about, as if you were separated by a glass wall
•   Surroundings that appear distorted, blurry, colorless, two-dimensional or artificial, a heightened awareness of your surroundings
•   Distortions in perception of time, such as recent events feeling like distant past
•   Distortions of distance and the size and shape of objects

The exact cause of depersonalization-derealization disorder isn't well-understood. However, it appears to be linked to an imbalance of certain brain chemicals called neurotransmitters, which can make a brain vulnerable so that heightened states of stress and fear may lead to the disorder.

While there are no medications specifically approved to treat depersonalization-derealization disorder, certain medications that are used to treat depression and anxiety may help. Examples that have been shown to relieve symptoms include fluoxetine (Prozac), clomipramine (Anafranil) and clonazepam (Klonopin).

Hope this information is helpful  :action-smiley-065:

If you feel this getting out of hand, by all means see your doctor or better yet a psychiatrist - the can become your greatest allies  :yes:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Disassociative

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 11:54:24 AM »
I know what you mean when you say your life feels like a video game, sometimes it feels like I'm in a movie. There's this funny saying we used to say when we talked about this on the depersonalization forum, "If it feels like a game, don't just stand there, play the game!" But yeah man, it can make you feel all types of ways and I found the best thing to do is to stop over analyzing it as hard as that may sound. You're not alone and it certainly isn't comfortable or fun.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: