Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Terrified to start Lexapro  (Read 398 times)

Offline Buddy122

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Terrified to start Lexapro
« on: July 01, 2014, 01:05:41 AM »
I've seen many drs and they all prescribe me diff things and they never seem to help. Effexor gave me a mild seizure and severe panic attack, Zoloft made my anxiety a million times worse, and the buspar/hydroxyzine combo was ineffective/made it worse. One Dr prescribed Provigil, which seemed like low-dose Adderoll to me so I never took it for fear of seething panic. Now my Dr wants me to try Lexapro because 'it worked for her.' I'm terrified I'm going to have a massive panic attack just like every other SSRI/SNRI I've tried. Self-medicating with benzos in emergency situations has been effective in dealing w everyday life. I'm scared of the commitment I feel lexapro will be. Required to take a pill every day, not being able to drink. What if it makes me crazy? What if im a zombie? What if it fucks up my brain chems? I've also got a lot of visual disturbances that I'm terrified it will exacerbate.  Anyone have any experience and/or success with lexapro? Or have any other suggestions for natural remedies I don't have to marry?
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
Re: Terrified to start Lexapro
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 01:51:42 AM »
When starting any SSRI, a benzo should almost always be prescribed because the first 2-3 weeks "can" intensify the anxiety. I say "can"  because it doesn't happen to everyone.

When I restarted my Prozac, I made a commitment to stick it out. My doc prescribed Lorazepam and everything kicked in at week 3.

Not a good idea to "self medicate" with benzos.

I don't drink because of the Prozac and to be honest, alcohol is a nervous system depressant so it only makes anxiety worse, anyhow.

You  mentioned worry about Lexapro screwing up your brain chems. Alcohol has a better chance of doing that  :yes:

I would suggest forgetting the alcohol and giving the Lexapro a run. I have a good feeling that you will like it. Lexapro seems to kick in quicker than Prozac, too.

;*) ;*) ;*)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Allytiel90

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 09:01:05 AM »
I was so scared to try lexapro too. I didn't want to take something that would change my brain, or my personality. And it didn't! It has been so so great for me! It took about 4 weeks to start really feeling better. The side effect I had was loss of appetite for a few days. Nothing I couldn't handle. :)  it has really helped me with my panic.  Only difference (which is big) is not freaking out over the symptoms that would normally have me sobbing and writhing on the couch. I'm still me, but a calmer, more rational me. I'm still a very emotional person, but I have more control on my panic.

Oh, I wanted to add, I haven't had barely any derealization since starting this med. I got it fairly often before. So it's helped with that also!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Buddy122

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 11:23:11 AM »
Thank you for the encouraging responses. I'm not so much worried about the alcohol thing. I don't have social anxiety by any means so cutting out something so social was what I was really getting at, just not being able to enjoy a drink with my friends. But that's that. This might be TMI, but I read a lot about sexual issues with lexapro too. Can anyone shed any light on that? I just started a new relationship and I really don't want to be 'off' in that department. :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline Allytiel90

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 03:06:26 PM »
I'm a girl but the same sexually as ever. If anything I'm a little more so since I'm not worried 24/7  :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
Thank you for the encouraging responses. I'm not so much worried about the alcohol thing. I don't have social anxiety by any means so cutting out something so social was what I was really getting at, just not being able to enjoy a drink with my friends. But that's that. This might be TMI, but I read a lot about sexual issues with lexapro too. Can anyone shed any light on that? I just started a new relationship and I really don't want to be 'off' in that department. :/

Definitely not TMI. 

No sexual problems at all  for me and I'm on Prozac and female.   :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Buddy122

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 05:21:38 PM »
Haha thanks guys. I am also female and this is great to know :) I guess this is just a leap of faith I'm going to have to take. It can't be any worse than the way I've been feeling for the past 4 months....and I guess I don't have to take it forever.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Buddy122

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »
Just curious to know if Gaba has worked for anyone as a natural alternative? I tried to take Gaba three nights in a row last week. The first morning after I was super anxious and threw up, the second night I woke up peeing every hour and had a bad panic attack. Turns out I had a UTI...which has since been treated and gone. Would it hurt to try the Gaba again just to see how tomorrow morning goes? Maybe at half the dose since I'm apparently sensitive.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 07:36:33 PM »
My doc said a lot of things can interact with SSRI's. St. John's Wort, 5HTP, Tyrosine, GABA, etc. They can cause serotonin syndrome. Give the Lexapro a chance :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Buddy122

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 08:08:34 PM »
Just wanted to say that my Dr refuses to prescribe me any benzos for impending anxiety from lexapro...she says that I need to stick it out bc she was able to. So I'm in for a world of hurt if the reaction is anything like the other SXRI's I've been on. Here goes nothing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »
I just wanted to say that i started lexapro 4 weeks ago and finally I am starting to feel a little bit more normal. I see a big improvement in my moods and outlook in life in general. I was a BIG mess 4 weeks ago and I am already seeing the benefits. I am SO glad I decided to start lexapro. I was worried about it, but I couldn't live with anxiety any longer. HA was literally ruining my life.
Yes I did have some increased anxiety the first 2 weeks but nothing too bad.

Give it a try, you may find that taking it was the best decision you made! Good luck  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline Buddy122

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 10:22:14 PM »
Thanks  all for your replies. I will start tomorrow evening and report back along the way to help anyone else who may have apprehension about starting. *fingers crossed*
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 10:26:30 PM »
Thanks  all for your replies. I will start tomorrow evening and report back along the way to help anyone else who may have apprehension about starting. *fingers crossed*

Good luck. I did 5 mg for 1 week and then increased to 10 mg!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Buddy122

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 11:28:31 AM »
So I started lexapro 10mg last night. Wasn't too terrible. Only had intense anxiety for around half an hour where I had to lay down and massage my head. Otherwise I just had extreme dizziness and some nausea. However, this morning has been AWFUL! As soon as I woke up my head was on fire, I was so dizzy I could barely walk, and I feel so on edge and lethargic at the same time. I'm hungry but don't want to eat, my muscles keep tensing up, and I've lost three pounds overnight with all the diarrhea. Can someone convince me to take this another night? I don't know how I'm expected to make it through work tomorrow.
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 02:07:50 PM »
So I started lexapro 10mg last night. Wasn't too terrible. Only had intense anxiety for around half an hour where I had to lay down and massage my head. Otherwise I just had extreme dizziness and some nausea. However, this morning has been AWFUL! As soon as I woke up my head was on fire, I was so dizzy I could barely walk, and I feel so on edge and lethargic at the same time. I'm hungry but don't want to eat, my muscles keep tensing up, and I've lost three pounds overnight with all the diarrhea. Can someone convince me to take this another night? I don't know how I'm expected to make it through work tomorrow.

break the pill in half... start with 5 mg the first week and then increase to 10 mg.
you may have been experience anxiety from taking the pill rather than side effects of the meds.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: