Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Do you know what triggers your HA?  (Read 179 times)

Offline LotusFish

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Do you know what triggers your HA?
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:44:51 PM »
I ask because I'm trying to figure out what my triggers are. I know it sounds silly but I have had moments where my chest pain kicks in and I have no clue what triggers it (I know a couple of them but not in this case) but once that kicks in, it sets the downward spiral into motion.

For example: Tonight I was just cooking dinner. That's all. All I was thinking about is "how much water do I need for the rice?" And next thing I knew, my chest pains kicked in. Rice? Really? There's NO WAY that's my trigger... and neither is cooking. I cook all of the time. It just doesn't make sense. Can anxiety really come on out of the middle of nowhere like this? And how am I supposed to figure out my triggers if this is how it surfaces?

I know, I know. A lot of questions but I've only been dealing with this for 6-8 months and although I've made some progress, I have moments like this that make me feel like I have had none and that I am back at square one. You know what I mean?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Disaster_Dino

• Poke This Member
Re: Do you know what triggers your HA?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:09:31 PM »
well yeah, that's how panic attacks work. They kinda just come out of no where and, well, attack.

anxiety symptoms are weird. You just need to realize that it's anxiety, and when you get these weird attacks just ignore them.

It's easier said than done, of course.
Bookmark and Share
"everything will be alright in the end. If everything's not alright, it's not quite the end!"

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:50:32 PM »
A bothersome, persistent symptom.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline LotusFish

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:02:44 PM »
well yeah, that's how panic attacks work. They kinda just come out of no where and, well, attack.

anxiety symptoms are weird. You just need to realize that it's anxiety, and when you get these weird attacks just ignore them.

It's easier said than done, of course.

I don't typically have it start out of the blue like this but this sort of circumstance makes me think that it's more of a health problem than an anxiety issue and just makes things worse. Then, of course, I have trouble calming myself down.

My husband is usually my go-to with this and he's out of town right now. Meanwhile, my toddler sleeps peacefully in her crib and I'm trying to decide if I can fit in it with her because that would make me feel so better right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 205
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 06:30:36 AM »
yes.

too many stresses at once and my perfectionistic personality.  Luckily I've gotten wise to anxiety's shenanigans and it doesn't really sucker punch me anymore.  Oh I may get weird arsed symptoms, but now I don't jump to diseases.  I look at what is going on in my life for what is really the cause.  and once in a while it means something organic. other times it is simply my body responding to stress.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 06:43:06 AM »
it is common to see statements like "it came out of the blue"  or "I was just doing X or Y or Z..."  peeps often forget that MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.

Living anxiously (whether it is realized or not) is tough on the body.   :yes: 

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Online Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:04:43 AM »
At age 19 my first ha trigger was my first panic attack. Thought I had a heart disease for a few months and luckily  there was no google then for me to search on. Luckily it passed as I finally got my mind off of it with my busy life then.

Now at 36, my sinuses and allergies flared up and so did my hypochondria.
And this time there was google. Lessoned learned there. :)
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline AbeLinkedIn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 08:22:53 AM »
Usually a symptom/sensation that I can't explain, but it's getting to the point where any symptom I face is a death knell (My IBS has been kicking in lately), so in a way it's a never ending battle.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 08:51:38 AM »
I feel like my anxiety is back to square one as well, my anxiety is so bad over rabies right now... It's symptoms that I fear like my arm tingling is sending me over the edge thinking that it's rabies and it just might very well be.
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Online Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 11:03:54 AM »
I thought rabies caused foaming at the mouth.  I am certain you would know.   
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline LotusFish

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 11:48:51 AM »
it is common to see statements like "it came out of the blue"  or "I was just doing X or Y or Z..."  peeps often forget that MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.

Thank you for this. It seriously helps. Methinks I need to pick up yoga and meditation again... which is difficult with a toddler running around. lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 03:11:38 PM »

Thank you for this. It seriously helps. Methinks I need to pick up yoga and meditation again... which is difficult with a toddler running around. lol

;D
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 04:26:24 PM »
Honestly I don't know what triggers it most of the time for me; I think my brain is mis-wired due to pressure on my brain when I was an infant. I had spinal meningitis when I was a few months old and they did tests on me fort he next 15 years to try and figure out what the full impact of that was. I was diagnosed with GAD when I was 5 and had my first panic attack when I was 4, so it's pretty much just always been there, although sometimes it can seem to go away for months and then other times it seems like it wants to control my life.

There are some things that I know can set me off; pretty much any physical symptom that has caused it in the past or any new weird symptom. There are some symptoms that I've had for so long that they don't set me off anymore; pretty much anything gastric for instance, since I've had IBS for so long it's just normal to me.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: