Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: 11 Weeks on Zoloft...  (Read 303 times)

Offline comoso

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
11 Weeks on Zoloft...
« on: June 30, 2014, 07:16:21 PM »
Wednesday will be week 11.  While I've had good days recently I'm afraid to report today was the setback of all setbacks.  I'm still taking .5mg clonazepam upon waking and I've taken only that dose all but 4 days in the past 6 or 7 weeks.  Today, I had to take another .25 at about 12:30 and I was in my room crying for about an hour from 1:30 to 2:30.  I scared my 13 year old son to death and as a 42 year old man it isn't exactly my finest moment. 
Lately I've had pretty darn good days.  I've been more productive at work, I've not dreaded every day life so much.  I have to take positive from those facts, right?  Zoloft is eventually going to level me out if that's what I've been feeling, right? 
It's just so tough, you have several good days.  You think it's all manageable and going downhill from here on out and then bam, constant anxiety hits you like a 2X4 one morning. 
This all started with a panic attack last August.  It's nearly 11 months of misery.  I have so many family members that have been through this and say 6 months... 8 months... etc.  I've surpassed all of their healing times.  I just want my life back.  I've been getting it back lately and that is encouraging.  I just had a bad afternoon yesterday and it turned into a very bad day today.  Please help me out here...
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: 11 Weeks on Zoloft...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 07:20:15 PM »
I take 37.5mg at bed time and 25 mg upon waking.  I increased from 50 2 weeks ago.  My psych doesn't want to move me up any more it seems.  I see him again in 10 days.

Oh yeah, symptoms.  Jeez, I swear my ears have school bells in them, constant ringing.  Even on the good days it's there, I just don't seem to care.  On days like today, it drives me batty.  Breath catching...  I can't remember the last time I was unsuccessful, but I go through bouts where I swear I have to catch my breath every 3 minutes for hours.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 07:38:31 PM »
Lately I've had pretty darn good days.  I've been more productive at work, I've not dreaded every day life so much.  I have to take positive from those facts, right? Zoloft is eventually going to level me out if that's what I've been feeling, right?

Yes, there are positives. It shows Zoloft is capable of working. However, you probably need to be on a higher dose, 62.5mg is well below what most need for good results.

I swear my ears have school bells in them, constant ringing.  Even on the good days it's there, I just don't seem to care.  On days like today, it drives me batty.

You need to tell your psychiatrist about this. Tinnitus is often a temporary side-effects, but not always so it needs to be monitored.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 09:37:38 PM »
Why doesn't your pdoc want you higher than your current dosage? I am on 125 mg and have found that it works best for me. I didn't really find much relief at all with zoloft until I reached at least 75 mg.
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 09:40:47 PM »
I'm not really sure.  He just kind of lets me guide the ship.  When I asked him how much I should be taking he asked me how much I wanted.  My answer was, "The smallest amount that works".  Maybe that's why, I don't know.  I've really had a bad day and I'm so scared I'm starting all over...
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 09:46:40 PM »
How long did it take to work for you bab?
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 02:19:35 PM »
Well, I didn't feel much improvement at all until I was on 75 mg for a few weeks. That was probably more than 2 months into my treatment with sertraline. I then had anxiety come back, so I was upped to 100 mg. When that still didn't cut it, I went up to 125 mg a couple of weeks later. After about 3 weeks at 125 mg I noticed that my anxiety was really under control and I had my life back. All together it took about 5 months before I found the correct dosage for me and felt remarkably better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 11:43:57 PM »
baba, Did you take a benzo at all during startup?  I've had .5 to 1mg clonazepam for about 5 months.  The past 2 I've only taken the .5 in the morning all but about 4 or 5 days.  I'm hoping one day the zoloft kicks in and I just don't need the clonazepam.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 01:27:49 PM »
Yes, my doctor gave me Xanax .25 mg to help when I needed it. My anxiety definitely went up when I first started the sertraline and every time I upped the dosage. I used the Xanax when I needed it and it made a big difference. I really only used it during the first month though. I didn't feel I needed it after that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 01:40:47 PM »
Man, what the heck is wrong with me?  I've been on benzos for 11 months.  I want my life back.  I can't imagine functioning without them.  I took .5mg at 730 this morning and I'm already anxious as can be.  Why am I? Great question.  I left work early and am home or a 4.5 day holiday weekend.  I should be feeling great instead I'm laying here with tons of anxiety and deep breathing through it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 02:28:39 PM »
Hey Comoso - Just wondering what your Sertraline dose is? Maybe it's time to think about an increase?
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 02:39:12 PM »
I'm on 62.5mg.  I think I need to go up too, my psych told me to stay here until next time I see him( 1 week from today).  I've been on 50 for about 8 weeks and 62.5 for 2.  Jeez I want out of this mess...
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 02:53:14 PM »
Ya - from what I've read and people I know most are on 75-100mg to maintain. Some probably are on lower doses and doing well but I don't think most.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 07:36:46 PM »
what I meant to say is most are on 75 to 100 mg minimum to maintain.

Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 09:46:26 PM »
I always post about myself, ask insights lol. So I want to give back to this community. I have to say, however, that going on forums is not always the best idea long term because people could discourage you from things that could actually help. Many people go through mental illness and distress, so going on this site is good if you use it the right way. My doctor said the danger of online forums is the inaccurate information and some negativity.

You are not alone, it's hard having anxiety episodes and depression etc. I wasn't diagnosed with bipolar until the past few months or so and let met tell you, it's amazing when a correct diagnosis comes into your life because treatment can help significantly more. I think you should attend therapy and make sure your medication is addressing symptoms enough. Medication is a gift that modern medicine has given the mentally ill, but I have learned a lot since bipolar has gotten out of control for me and it's this: medication is excellent and gives lives back, but therapy is a very important and increasingly neglected part of treatment. And try to master coping skills to a point where you can use them in times of distress.

I am dying to be happy, I am grappling with bipolar. It's a severe affliction because there's two poles and everything between them is a part of my life. I am trying to get stable and  happy but it's SO hard. You have to keep going and trudge through the storm... I have been battling since I graduated high school and it has been very hard. The anti depressants altered my brain chemistry and I don't know if it's a good part in my treatment, but that's what this is all about, finding the drugs that let you live a happy, healthy, prosperous life. Good luck to you, now onto the next anxietyzone member. lol reply if you care to.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: