Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Please, please help! I'm SO scared of death!!!  (Read 437 times)

Offline Mairi

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Please, please help! I'm SO scared of death!!!
« on: June 30, 2014, 04:39:33 PM »
Lately I've been absolutely terrified of death. I'm so, so scared of the fact that one day I am going to die and can do nothing at all to stop it from happening. I can't sleep or go through the day normally because I am so scared. The other night I dreamt about death and kept waking up either hyperventilating or making whining noises. Today while shopping the fear hit me again and I felt like I was going to have an anxiety attack. I wanted so much to just go home and write this post, but my dad wanted to go to 2 more stores. This fear of dying has to be the worst mental pain ever. It's so horrible when I really think about it! I'll just be doing things normally and then I'll start to think about dying, and then it'll hit me- I am going to die someday. Death is coming no matter what. Where will I be when the time comes? What will I be thinking? What will I be physically feeling? Will I be scared? I'm going to die. I'm actually going to die. Me. Me! Me! I wish I hadn't been born. Then I wouldn't have to die. I shouldn't be worrying about this. I'm much to young- I still get the under 10 menu at restaurants (I am a teenager but I am very small and look very young). My life should be great. My life would be great if it weren't for this crippling fear of death. It's summer break, I'm free. My fear of my mom dying is leaving. Some of my physical anxiety symptoms are going away, along with this cough I was so afraid was a horrible disease. I've been cooking and writing and playing music. I've started a super fun project. I have fun with my sister. I ride around in the car listening to ridiculously happy sounding Irish music every day. So why do I feel like this? I'm terrified!
P.S. I read somewhere that anyone who's alive in 2045 will live forever. Someone PLEASE make my day and tell me it's true.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please, please help! I'm SO scared of death!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:43:30 PM »
Please! Someone answer! I'm really, really, scared!
Bookmark and Share

Offline chriscam1234

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 05:13:57 AM »
Listen to all the wonderful things you said you've been doing. Those are the kind of comforting things that will take the fear away. I could even notice a change in tone from negative to positive once you started mentioning all the activities you enjoy doing. Live life.... even though that's a cliche response. I've had some of the most crippling fear of death you could imagine, and I'm really not afraid anymore. I told myself one thing and that was, " I am certain to die someday, but I don't have to be plagued by fear." Plenty of people overcome the fear of death. Think about soldiers who are trained to be so strong, that they no longer have fear. that's one way to deal with it. I took a different approach. I've made it my life goal to live so productively and have such a good time loving my family and friends, that I appreciate life. I've acknowledged that there are things I don't know, and I've set the fears aside, and accepted it. Don't worry about death, but when you do think about it, don't dwell on it and be scared. Read some philosophy, listen to some music, think about loved ones who you've lost and imagine that they'll see you again someday when you get to heaven. These philosophies, song lyrics, and ideas might not be true, but there's nothing wrong with a little faith. and to add to this, I'm almost certain there is a heaven. I've encountered angels, and I know people who have seen jesus. Could I just be crazy? maybe, but at least it helps me sleep at night to believe what I saw was real. And one more useful tip.... listen to a song about life or love and cry to it, just lose yourself in it. I hope all of this helped. I'm trying to make sense in the middle of my own nervous breakdown.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 01:12:13 PM »
Thank you so much for your advice! I feel a teeny bit better. It was really comforting when you talked about seeing angels and Jesus. In fact I just remembered that I (think) I had my own encounter with an angel when I was 7.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chriscam1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 12:48:40 AM »
You're welcome. I bet that was an angel you saw. I know some people wouldn't believe me, but since you said you've seen one yourself, than that makes me feel better too. I hope you're not as afraid tonight as you were last night. Just worry about what you got going on now, not in god knows how many years from now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jamison1325

• Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 12:24:26 AM »
I have an intense fear of death as well. I thought it is very silly to have such a fear but I cannot help it. I guess most of me does not want to accept death. I experience awful panic attack, especially at night time. That is when it is the worst. But, I have tried deep breathing and that subdues the panic attacks. So I decided to go online and hopefully meet others that are going through the same experience. I am scared to tell my family because I am afraid they will think that I am being silly.

Music is my outlet for when I am feeling ... overwhelmed. I wish I had more words to help but I hope today is a better day for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 11:30:46 AM »
You should tell your family! I'm sure they won't think you're being silly. ;-) Thanks, and I hope things improve for you, too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline missjasmyn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 04:35:24 PM »
Hi,

I too suffer from the same fear, and it is honestly horrible. What has helped me is hours and hours of therapy. Please, if you haven't already, seek out a great therapist and work on this issue. It does not disappear immediately, but it will get better over time.

For me, there are a few things that helped me with it. First of all, I did a lot of thinking about the odds of me dying, and they were extremely slim. The chances are, you are not going to die at the age you are at, and you have to remind yourself of the reality of that. The second thing is to acknowledge that you will eventually die, but its not going to be anytime soon. That being said, take the time to realize that you need to enjoy the time that you have here rather than being terrified of the inevitable. Lastly, I thought about what I haven't done and what I want to accomplish in life, and I began living my life differently so that if I did by chance pass away, I would have gone after living a great life and having done everything I wanted to.

I don't know if any of this helps. Let me know if you have more questions and feel free to message me. I can probably give you more than this if you have any questions.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: