Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What is the number #1 Reason - for your fear of taking Medications?  (Read 407 times)

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Hi Everyone  :action-smiley-065:

For healthy discussion purposes - I would like to hear feedback from others members, about their fears, feelings, questions and point of view... :yes:

This is THE QUESTION, that struck enormous fear and anxiety in me for over 10 years, I was absolutely against all medication for well over 10 years, - before I had the courage to take medication - that helped me reclaim my life...

I am sure, from reading many of the posts here, I am not the only one with this fear.  B-;

What is the number #1 Reason - for your fear of taking Medications? (applies only to people, where medication might prove beneficial  :yes: )

My final answer out of many reasons (my list was impressive - over 15+ reasons - took a lot of research and thought before debunking many of them over time).  In my final analysis after years of self-analysis for me:

MY #1 Reason - I did not want to take Medications:

Taking Medication = Somehow, deep in my inner-mind, it meant that I was weak, not strong enough, not good enough, and SHAME, and thus was not a 'real man' – it invalided me as true loving person that I am, and unworthy of God's or anyone's else's love.
   :( 

:nature-smiley-016: - Thank God, I finally challenged my own belief system and found my own Truth!  That as a child of God, I am worthy and deserve every possible tool (including medications) - that could help me be a better Husband, Father, Grandfather, Friend, and person who can give back to others.

What is YOUR number #1 Reason - for your fear of taking Medications?

Thank you for sharing,  :happy0151:

I look forward to hearing from others who might also have encountered this fearful question - thank you for reading this.   :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline MLB2805

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What is the number #1 Reason - for your fear of taking Medications?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:40:31 PM »
Side effects that affect the heart are my reason
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:51:53 PM »
I'm a notorious pill-phobic when it comes to psych meds, not so much with other meds. Can't say I have actually thought about why that is in depth, but I guess the thought of losing control of my mind, surrendering it to a drug. And I'm not a fan of the initial side-effects either.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 07:48:26 AM »
side effects, afraid they will be horrible.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dbirm77

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 07:55:08 AM »
Feeling unable to handle my issues myself...that I need medication to function. I felt that taking medication was like giving up on myself, that for some reason so many others are able to cope with life's stressors, but I wasn't. Over time, I put my pride away and asked for help. Time will tell how this story ends. Good question.

Drew
Bookmark and Share
Expect.....anxiety to come.
Accept.....anxiety and all it's sensations.
Ask.........anxiety for more!

Rinse and repeat!

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 08:21:19 AM »
Based on the allergic reactions I have had to some meds and also some horrible side effects. I spent many nights at the ER for rashes and swelling and then the side effects Ugh so now I am petrified of meds so I only take the ones I have been taking for years.

Oh and I also have had several surgeries and most meds send me back in time like I am at Woodstock on a acid trip lol not that I ever done acid!! But its like I am in the twilight zone spacing out and losing my mind. The Doctors say I am hyper sensitive to meds .

I was in surgery and I could hear them talking they said it wasn't possible until I repeated what they were saying.
My Fears are very valid and I so wish they weren't because I know I need some other types of meds and also I am now scared of doctors and even blood draws.
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 08:25:47 AM »
Nice thread, good for the old brain, TY.

First, I want to be myself, for better, for worse, and actively work at being the better on my own. No distortions.

Next, is the overpowering experience of my brother. He took anything and everything any doctor prescribed, went to hospitals, to rehabs, all to suffer a slow, very painful, long drawn out ending. So my behavior and actions are reactions.

Want to add that I pass no judgment on medications and those who do well with them. But it seems to me my brother gave up on his own judgment, his own will and became a captive to others, including the array of medications.
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 08:49:08 AM »
I guess the number one reason why I fear taking medication is due to the potential side effects. Many people already have the same answer, but when it comes to psychiatric meds especially, there seems to be more side effects than taking, say... an acid reducer or something. And you know for the most part there'll be some side effect(s) present. From nausea and dizziness to sexual dysfunction and urinary problems to even incredibly mood swings -- there is usually something. Luckily, they tend to go away, but it is trudging through the storm that's the hard part. Also, coming off of the medication is huge as well. I remember taking Cymbalta last year and the prescribing psychiatrist told me to just "stop taking it." I went from 30mg to 60mg and I was getting chest pains and anxiety, but he didn't tell me that any such symptoms would arise and I had no community support like I do here, so I feared the worst and wanted off of the medication. I also, at the time, was going to a Wellness Center and they were pushing me to try a holistic route. So I abruptly stopped taking the Cymbalta after a few months and man oh man, I thought my eyeballs were going to fall out. Terrible headaches and just feeling anxious and terrible for like a week or more!

The second reason, which is a close runner up, is your reason, Never-Quit. I always thought that people that had anxiety were relatively weak-minded. I mean, come on, how can you NOT control your anxiety with logic? But what I found out myself is that anxiety isn't rational at all. It comes and torments as it pleases, and the medication is a tool that we use to combat it (As well as therapy, additional supplementation, meditation, exercise, diet, and so on!). People tend to think that because someone is on psychiatric medication that they're completely crazy (I've heard many-a-Prozac jokes). But it's just not true, obviously. Do I wish I didn't have to take medication? Of course! But if I had a headache I'd take Ibuprofen, and if I had an ailment with my heart or stomach or, well, anything, I'd take medication! Otherwise my quality of life would suffer. I tried to tough it out. I still do at times, but to live every single day in agony and stress just because I don't want to look weak? That makes me weaker overall since I care too much about what other people think. And I, as well as you and everyone else here, are better than that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 10:15:28 AM »
Just want to add that in the time here (years) this topic has always surfaced. Sometimes acrimoniously. This is by far the best discussion.

We are evolving. :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline WorriedDude22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 01:45:01 PM »
My biggest fear was losing control of my thoughts.  We live in a world of seeing mass shootings on the news, and this portrayal of the shooter being mentally ill, on anti-depressants, other medicine, etc.  I was scared that I would become suicidal/violent... even though I've always been the complete opposite.  After taking Lexapro, I realized it was just my anxiety talking and I had nothing to worry about.  I was also bad at looking at Google, so I was reading all the horrible side effects which didn't help. 

Also... the thought of taking a pill every single day just flat out sucked.  But it's no big deal now!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 05:58:37 PM »
My biggest fear is the side affects and how it will make my anxiety high all over again.
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 15
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 10:34:21 AM »
Thank you so much for sharing :action-smiley-065:

I can really relate to most of the feelings and fears that were shared on this thread.

It is so comforting to know that I we all share many things in common.  :yes:

Thank you  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline H1N1KI

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 05:32:38 AM »
I dont take medications because I personally believe that I don't need them to get better. I know that's not the case for everyone, but I fought to myself through anxiety once before, no meds, and I did it. :-)   I think if I was on meds, I might still be dependent on them because I wouldn't have been forced to make the very hard but very positive life changes my anxiety needed me to make for my life to be healthier (cutting out toxic foods, habits, people, thoughts, leaving a bad relationship, basically changing everything).

Now four years after resolving my anxiety through life changes, yoga, and dietary changes it came back because I fell back into a lot of those old patterns. I want to take meds on some level when its hard, but I know I can do it again...I'm actually quite close to feel great these days) and that I'll have that feeling with me at all times whether or not I have a pill.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 09:35:04 AM »
Never-Quit, what a great thread!!

For anyone who thinks you are weak for taking medication, you are not.  It takes INCREDIBLE STRENGTH to seek help for mental issues and bravery to start a medication.  The side effects and start up effects are scary, but when we stick with it, we can see results and live a more fulfilling life.  I have taken a hard look at how my anxiety has affected myself and other people and the medication, hands down, has helped.  It's not weak or selfish to take a medication, it's selfless.  Because it's not fun to be around a person with anxiety  :laugh3: ( or to be the person!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 02:14:46 PM »
Never-Quit, what a great thread!!

For anyone who thinks you are weak for taking medication, you are not.  It takes INCREDIBLE STRENGTH to seek help for mental issues and bravery to start a medication.  The side effects and start up effects are scary, but when we stick with it, we can see results and live a more fulfilling life.  I have taken a hard look at how my anxiety has affected myself and other people and the medication, hands down, has helped.  It's not weak or selfish to take a medication, it's selfless.  Because it's not fun to be around a person with anxiety  :laugh3: ( or to be the person!)
Very true I think it's the best thing for me having anxiety makes others have anxiety and I want none of that  :traurig001: Being on medication helps me sleep better without the thought of "what if I have...", "What if I will die of...", I think i have the symptoms of...", "The incubation period for this disease is..." running through my head all night. The only symptom of my medication which I can both use to my advantage (If I'm with my cousins) and also is annoying is insomnia but I think I have slewed up my sleep schedule by sleeping in until the afternoon.  :laugh3: The medication has made me not think as life as a waiting game but it has made me think of life as a special occasion that shall be used to it's fullest.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Tags: