Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Please help me!  (Read 97 times)

Offline Joey407

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Please help me!
« on: June 30, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »
I am struggling massively with health anxiety.  I am 26 years old and since I turned 26 in February this year I have had an overwhelming fear of becoming ill and dying young.  It was as if a light bulb just switched in my brain and I cant turn it off.

I am constantly worried that I have a serious illness, usually cancer and I can turn any sensation, feeling, pain in my body into that disease.

I am due to get married next July and all I can think of at the moment is 'what if I don't make it' what if I die before I get married'

These thoughts are massive and taking up nearly all of my day being preoccupied with them.    I lost my dad when he was 43 from a stomach ulcer that ruptured and my nan has recently undergone major surgery for an ovarian tumour (non-cancerous thank god).

I feel these may be my triggers - but I don't know for sure.

I have avoidance behaviour - I will not go to the doctors at all for anything, as I fear I will be told the worse (I had an ear infection, but had to be dragged to the docs by my partner to get anti-biotics as I just wouldn't go) and I avoid checking/looking at my body in case I find anything else to worry about more.    I am now struggling to sleep and switch off.

I am studying for exams - that has gone to pot, my wedding plans are now a distant thought and only do anything when someone else brings it up. 

As I am writing this I have a pain in my left armpit/breast which im convinced is cancer.  I need help PLEASE! xx
Bookmark and Share

Online vardnas

• Rec's: 95
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please help me!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 05:46:44 PM »
Hey Joey,

So sorry you're not doing well!

You sound like you're going through a lot, between your relatives, your wedding planning, and your exams—that would be a lot for anyone to handle! Never mind someone who perhaps has a more anxious temperament.

Remember, it is VERY rare for people your age to just get sick and die without the presence of some other major illness, which you don't have. I know it's almost impossible to just "feel better" when you're suffering from anxiety. Have you considered finding someone to talk to about it?
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Lars Thorwald

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please help me!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:22:36 PM »
If I were you I would go to the doc just for a routine checkup and go at least once a year. He/she will tell you that you're fine and that should give you some reassurance. I hate going to the doc also for check ups, tests, etc but I go. You owe it to yourself and your fiancé. Take care.
Bookmark and Share
"For days after death, hair and fingernails continue to grow but phone calls taper off." --Johnny Carson

Tags:

anything