Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Im a Newbie and Struggling  (Read 86 times)

Offline Joey407

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Im a Newbie and Struggling
« on: June 30, 2014, 07:53:21 AM »
I am struggling massively with health anxiety.  I am 26 years old and since I turned 26 in February this year I have had an overwhelming fear of becoming ill and dying young.  It was as if a light bulb just switched in my brain and I cant turn it off.

I am constantly worried that I have a serious illness, usually cancer and I can turn any sensation, feeling, pain in my body into that disease.

I am due to get married next July and all I can think of at the moment is 'what if I don't make it' what if I die before I get married'

These thoughts are massive and taking up nearly all of my day being preoccupied with them.  :(  I lost my dad when he was 43 from a stomach ulcer that ruptured and my nan has recently undergone major surgery for an ovarian tumour (non-cancerous thank god).

I feel these may be my triggers - but I don't know for sure.

I have avoidance behaviour - I will not go to the doctors at all for anything, as I fear I will be told the worse (I had an ear infection, but had to be dragged to the docs by my partner to get anti-biotics as I just wouldn't go) and I avoid checking/looking at my body in case I find anything else to worry about more.    I am now struggling to sleep and switch off.

I am studying for exams - that has gone to pot, my wedding plans are now a distant thought and only do anything when someone else brings it up. 

As I am writing this I have a pain in my left armpit/breast which im convinced is cancer.  I need help PLEASE! xx :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Im a Newbie and Struggling
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:24:51 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline jjZauis

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »
Hey Joey, I'm new here too and wanted to tell you you're not alone in those fears.  I'm 32 so, a little older than you but can totally relate.  Whenever there's a major event in the future I have those same thoughts about 'not making it' and that I'll probably die.  The difference between us is that I drive myself crazy by searching on google anytime I "feel" something is wrong.  Whether its a pain, a stress, etc.  But I feel like my doctor is probably rolling her eyes because I call her about every little thing convinced I have something major wrong with me.  It always depends on what the pain is.  If its a stomach ache I assume its something serious like colon cancer. A headache, its some kind of brain cancer. Itchy skin, skin cancer, etc.  And like you said about the pain in your left armpit/breast area.   I actually googled "can guys get breast cancer" because I was convinced that the source of the pain was this bump on the left side of my chest.  But like you said, sometimes it's further back and further to the side like its more under my armpit.  I even bruised my chest because I was pressing so hard convinced that there was a bump there.  I've quickly learned though is that pain, or stress in that area is usually triggered by my anxiety.   Although I did insist on an EKG and blood work and things like that to make sure it wasn't a tumor or a heart defect or whatever.   I hear some people have had some success with natural supplements that help with anxiety so that might be worth looking into.   You should really look into seeing a professional though to help you get over the fear of seeing a doctor as I'm sure, like it is in my case, having a medical professional examine me makes me feel better.  Also though, if god forbid there was something really wrong, they would be able to treat it. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline snailshell

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 10:22:39 PM »
Oh my goodness, do I relate to this post. I am 24, nearly 25, and I have the same concerns/fears as you do. I don't exactly have avoidance behavior, though; I just can't afford to go see a doctor because I don't have health insurance. You are not alone. Any time my mind begins to wander, things get bad in my head. I hate this for you, and I am so sorry you're going through it. I wouldn't wish this kind of thinking on ANYONE.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: