Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: HELP? Is this sunburn potentially really dangerous?  (Read 124 times)

Offline emmmmaaaa

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
HELP? Is this sunburn potentially really dangerous?
« on: June 30, 2014, 12:47:17 AM »
Hi! I'm at the beach on vacation, and today was my first day out in the sun, and I obtained a really, really bad sunburn all over my body. It's bright red and it's basically covering everywhere but my legs, despite the fact that I covered myself in sunscreen. I'm really worried that I'll get sick or have something horrible happen because of this sunburn, should I be worried? I don't know if it's just my hypochondria making me anxious, but it feels like my throat is tight and it feels like my breathing is a little off. It's super sore and it's making me uncomfortably hot. Can sunburns cause any serious health complications, besides dehydration? Because I drank a lot today so I don't think that's an issue. I've heard plenty of horror stories about heat stroke and sun poisoning, so I'm really afraid that something crazy will happen, like me fainting or something of the sort. I'm having a really hard time trying to get to sleep because I'm afraid that I'll die or have some kind of odd heart reaction to the sun, even though I know that's probably really irrational, I just don't like the fact that I'm going to be asleep and not aware of how my body is reacting. Thanks to anyone who answers!
Bookmark and Share
OCD // Emetephobia // Hypochondria //

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: HELP? Is this sunburn potentially really dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 01:38:33 AM »
Sunburn might make you feel some mild nausea if it's really bad, but it's not going to do anything more serious than give you some pain for the next few days. Long term sun exposure can increase your chances of skin cancer, but one sunburn won't do it.

Keep drinking lots of water so that your body can heal quickly. Try to keep it cool if possible, wear sunscreen if you are going to be in the sun, or if you can try to stay in the shade until your skin heals. Aloe gel is also soothing and helps your skin heal faster.

If you had heat stroke or heat exhaustion you'd know it and it would be caused by heat, not by sunburn.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: