Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: WEST NILE?!?!?! HELP  (Read 106 times)

Offline amyjeannie

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
WEST NILE?!?!?! HELP
« on: June 29, 2014, 11:14:37 PM »
Okay so I didn't realize it but I have a mosquito bite. It started out really small and now it's huge! I'm freaking out about WEST NILE!!!! It itches really bad and I have neck pressure which I believe is a symptom and I'm sweating like crazy! Please someone help, I'm freaking out. I live in Ohio and last year there were like 7 fatalities from West Nile so that really puts me at risk! FREAKING OUT!!!! I want to fall asleep so bad but my mind is racing so I can't! I need reassurance or symptoms of West Nile or something! I'm scared to ask for symptoms but I've blocked all the sites that would give them to me on my computer so I'm freaking out. Please help!
Bookmark and Share
Philippians 4:4-9

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: WEST NILE?!?!?! HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:42:23 AM »
If you don't have a fever you don't have West Nile. Also, the size and itchiness of the bite has nothing to do with West Nile; it's only a measure of your body's reaction to mosquitoes. For instance, when I get bit I hardly tend to react, but my wife wells up in 4-inch-wide, red, swollen bumps that look horrible. Even if you don't usually react this way you can develop a sensitivity and do so. Doesn't have anything to do with West Nile or any other disease potentially transmitted by mosquitoes.

Also, seven people out of the 11.5 million residing in your state may sound like a lot, but if you consider how many mosquito bites people in your state got last year vs how many people got West Nile, your odds are better of winning the Powerball lottery. It's far less than 1 in 1 million.

Since our brains have a hard time comprehending odds like this it seems like there is still a chance even with 1 in 1 million. To put it into perspective, consider that you are filling a swimming pool with water. However, you can only fill it one drop at a time, one drip every second. It would take about 1 million drops to fill the pool. This would take a lifetime of dripping steadily. Now imagine that just one of those drops was maple syrup instead of water. Just one drop out of an entire lifetime of drip-drip-dripping. Now say that on a specific day someone asked you to taste just one drip of water as it was being added to the pool. Is it going to be maple syrup? No. No, it isn't. It's going to be water. That's 1 in 1 million, and your odds are even better than that.
Bookmark and Share

Online sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: WEST NILE?!?!?! HELP
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:08:13 AM »
my 13yr old was at a bonfire last week.  she ended up with 45  mosquito bites! yes, she counted them as she was putting on her hydro cortisone.  at least one bite swelled up.  she was on oral benadryl for a couple of days to help with the itching as well.  our local news was just mentioning West Nile virus.  and, yet, with all of those bites, she just itched and looked bumpy.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: