Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I unintentionally lost weight, am I dying?  (Read 348 times)

Offline rubee

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I unintentionally lost weight, am I dying?
« on: June 29, 2014, 04:34:41 PM »
So yeah.. basically what it says in the title. I haven't lost a LOT of weight, maybe about 4 pounds in 2 weeks, and I'm not underweight now or anything (I'm about average) but the fact I haven't tried to lose weight is making me anxious as I've read about people with cancer just losing weight. It might be to do with the medication I stopped recently (risperidone) as that actually made me gain a lot of weight when I first started it (I'm on arirpiprazole now) but I'm very nervous nonetheless. It was my period the last week so it might also be to do with that as I've felt a bit sick and off food a little.

Can someone reassure me?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: I unintentionally lost weight, am I dying?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 04:52:48 PM »
risperidone is KNOWN to cause weight gain.  being you are not on it any more IS one reason for weight loss.  anxiety and stress are also another reason for weight loss.  and then your comment about your period is yet another reason.  so, actually you have three reasons right there that go against " unintentional" or "unexplained" weight loss. Anxious thinking creates all kinds catastrophic scenarios.  IMO, based on your panic and jumping to "am I dying"  seems to indicate your anxiety/anxious over thinking is doing just that.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline rubee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »
Thank you sixpack. I had about 2 weeks with little anxiety or at least less than usual, then I decided to weigh myself and it triggered me so I've been obsessively weighing myself since. There's always something.
Bookmark and Share

Offline uno76

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 05:08:42 PM »
I can relate. I've had unintentional weight loss also. I've been anxious,stressed and a wreck for several months now so I'm sure it's the anxiety. I've lost weight like this twice before with anxiety so I should know but it makes things worse when I feel so bad physically. I start thinking of a bad illness also. That makes me probably lose more! I'm not underweight either,but I'm like at my ideal weight now but I'm afraid the weight loss won't stop!
It's hard not to feel anxious with all the stressors and weight loss on top of it all. :(
I'm gonna try Ensure again as a good supplement and maybe I'll gain a few pounds back or level out. I'm freaking out of fear of what if the weight loss continues.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 08:06:39 PM »
You mentioned you'd just had your period. Perhaps you had water weight and when you got your period, you lost the water weight.

Anxiety has caused me weight loss many times....no matter how much I eat and I eat a lot. My friends are always astounded at how much I eat.

I am not familiar with the med but it seems that others know about it and say that could be the reason, since you gained weight on it.

I have a rule...no standing on the scale when I'm anxious. Not even a peek.   :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline uno76

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 09:44:31 AM »
Redapples,
I agree,I refuse to weigh myself right now. I haven't weighed since my last doctor visit in April. I can't because I'll get more anxiety if I see the number and the total weight loss.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 07:33:19 PM »
Uno, exactly. No scale until your clothes start to feel tighter  :action-smiley-065: You don't need more anxiety.

Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 08:07:51 PM »
So yeah.. basically what it says in the title. I haven't lost a LOT of weight, maybe about 4 pounds in 2 weeks, and I'm not underweight now or anything (I'm about average) but the fact I haven't tried to lose weight is making me anxious as I've read about people with cancer just losing weight. It might be to do with the medication I stopped recently (risperidone) as that actually made me gain a lot of weight when I first started it (I'm on arirpiprazole now) but I'm very nervous nonetheless. It was my period the last week so it might also be to do with that as I've felt a bit sick and off food a little.

Can someone reassure me?

4 lbs is really nothing  I gain and lose about 5 pounds each month due to my period.  DH was recently at the ER for stitches and they ask the standard screening questions...they asked if he had lost more than 20 lbs in a 2 month period without trying. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline skleep

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 09:05:14 PM »
Could be water weight and just the anxiety.  The likelihood of this being anything serious is super slim.  I have anxiety and I'm relatively active, but I need to eat *tons* of food to avoid losing weight.  My anxiety actually makes my metabolism faster I think.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LotusFish

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:30:47 PM »
I definitely know how you feel. I have lost about 18 pounds in 3 months and after being in and out of the doctor for all kinds of random symptoms and illnesses that I convinced myself that I had, it turns out that it's all just my anxiety. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to lose a few pounds but not to the point that it would make my anxiety worse! I am getting better about not weighing myself obsessively but it's still a work in progress.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: