Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared I have Leukemia  (Read 258 times)

Offline Teachme

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared I have Leukemia
« on: June 29, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »
This is my first post, I've only recently developed (last few months) health anxiety because of these symptoms and google... My life has kind of been taken over by a fear of Leukemia or Lymphoma.

I have unexplained bruising on my legs, petechiae on arms and legs and today I can feel something amiss in my neck which I fear is a swollen lymph node! Just left of my adam's apple
I'm going for a CBC on Tuesday but I'm worried sick. It'll take a few days to get results from the CBC. I've heard a CBC doesn't always diagnose the cancer either?!

Ahhh!

If you've got any calming advice or possible explanations I'd love to hear. Even if for temporary peace of mind

Many thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared I have Leukemia
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 05:01:27 PM »
I've known three children who were dx'd with leukemia.  all three kids' blood work were definitive that something was wrong.  two of three presented with with not being able to get over an illness in a timely matter.

IMO, your anxious thinking is driving your fears and not lymphoma or leukemia.  I have a concern that your anxious thinking is already trying to find reason to negate any blood work that is going to be done. 

I am a H-U-G-E preacher of NOT googling symptoms or diseases, whether you are currently afraid of a particular disease or not.  Googling just plants those little seeds.  those seeds will take root at some point.  Additionally googling stuff never assures a person they are well.  Oh one may get a piece of assurance but with the HA mind, that won't be good enough and further research ensues and all hell breaks loose 9 times out of 10.  If you continue posting here, you will see posts all of the time saying things like "I googled.  Please talk me down"     SO looking up diseases should be OFF of your to do list.     .

A few other things that should be off of your to do list are:  No monitoring of bodily goings on, self-check/self-test,  seeking repeat reassurance from family/friends/internet/doctors.  AVOID "peace of mind" medical tests.  Certainly there are legitimate reasons to have medical tests and, thus, should be done.  However, around here, more often than not, med tests are done just reassurance or "peace of mind".  this sort of testing does not work.  You will see many, many people advocate such testing and you will see many folks having them.   Unfortunately, such tests accomplishes either:  1. person doubts test--it was done too early, it wasn't THE right test, or doc read it wrong, 2.  person accepts the test but soon thereafter or down the road a piece anew crop of symptoms, NOT covered  by the previous tests, appear and the person is a mess all over again.  Basically these are "reactive" behaviors.  Reactive behaviors only keep a mind/body amped up.  It keeps us in the vicious anxiety loop.  The fight/flight just diminish when it isn't constantly fed panic. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Teachme

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared I have Leukemia
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 05:10:13 PM »
Thanks for the response.

Reading other posts on here have already made me promise myself never to google symptoms 'cyberchrondria?'.

I've also decided that I'm going to take the CBC as a definitive answer (hopefully and god willing free of cancer) and hopefully I'll reach a point just a few months ago when I felt like an invincible teenager and I only went to the Dr when symptoms lasted over a few weeks :/

But until I hear the results of the CBC I feel like there's a possibility I'm going to be on edge 24/7
Bookmark and Share

Tags: leukemia