Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: TEA Forms  (Read 108 times)

Offline rubywoo

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
TEA Forms
« on: June 29, 2014, 04:20:54 PM »
I have had anxiety for approx. 15 years (I am now 28), it is mainly social anxiety, particularly eating around others, I donít go to restaurants, avoid any situation where I may have to eat in front of others, but now is causing generalised anxiety, I feel anxious 90% of the time.

Iíve tried all sorts of therapies, CBT, hypnotherapy, seen 2 private therapists who were very expensive but did nothing for me.

I recently bought the Sam Obitz book, as I wanted to try the TEA forms. Iíve read the book, and have bought myself a notebook to write the TEA forms in, but Iím really struggling with the analysis and finding it much harder than I thought I would. I wondered if anybody else was also filling in TEA forms, and if we could help each other, as I feel like seeing how somebody else analyses my negative thinking would be helpful, and might give me a kickstart to enable to me to them myself.

Thanks   :angel-smiley-006:
Bookmark and Share

Offline dbirm77

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
Re: TEA Forms
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 08:01:09 AM »
I've never tried the TEA forms but I find it extremely difficult to identify negative thoughts...but once I bagan to notice them, it became more obvious to me.
Take your anxiety about eating around others, since that seems to be your biggest issue.
When you think about going to a restaurant, what's the first thought that pops into your head? Is it negative? Does it begin with...What if?
Begin to analyze the more obvious thoughts and the smaller ones will become easier to identify.

Good luck,

Drew
Bookmark and Share
Expect.....anxiety to come.
Accept.....anxiety and all it's sensations.
Ask.........anxiety for more!

Rinse and repeat!

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
The Obitz book is my foundation but I did not get hung up on the TEA format, though he gives good examples. Once I found the Error categories that return to torment me I note their recurrence and turn to meditation to reassure myself with self invented mantras.

Am also trying to move on to ACT, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. It is all an ongoing process, as I see it and have experienced it. The Error categories are not likely to go away for good. So recognizing them and even learning to live with them can help. Can diffuse their power over us.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rubywoo

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:53:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Drew - I also find it hard to identify negative thoughts as they must be so built in me now that I don't notice them at all. Thanks for your advice, I will try that.

Tinam - I didn't really find the error categories all that helpful. But I feel like if I got the analysis part right it could be.

Just thought I'd recommend a website that I find quite useful... fearmastery. I think the techniques are similar to Obitz's, but not as clear cut.

:)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: