Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Newbie and dealing with fear of ALS  (Read 460 times)

Offline albert

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Newbie and dealing with fear of ALS
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 03:36:23 PM »
You mention that you are only aware of one case???  So where did all these other cases come from, I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule.  It's like me saying that my tension headache could be a brain tumor.  As there are other cases recorded that have this as their only symptom, but it's not typical.  And these cases are far more consistent then ALS.  So if I would go to a forum where a person has a headache and saying that it's their only symptom, I should go and say yeah it could be a brain tumor because you have a headache.  It's completely out of line, and stupid for me to make that argument.  Like I said this is a support group, I'm telling her my personal experience and what I have learned.  If I didn't know what I was saying I wouldn't post.  I know what it was like to live through that hell for 2 years, and with people like you making these comments would of made things harder for me...Not cool!!!
You mention that you are only aware of one case???  So where did all these other cases come from, I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule.  It's like me saying that my tension headache could be a brain tumor.  As there are other cases recorded that have this as their only symptom, but it's not typical.  And these cases are far more consistent then ALS.  So if I would go to a forum where a person has a headache and saying that it's their only symptom, I should go and say yeah it could be a brain tumor because you have a headache.  It's completely out of line, and stupid for me to make that argument.  Like I said this is a support group, I'm telling her my personal experience and what I have learned.  If I didn't know what I was saying I wouldn't post.  I know what it was like to live through that hell for 2 years, and with people like you making these comments would of made things harder for me...Not cool!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 03:43:26 PM »
Being a 'support group' is no excuse to propagate fallible information.

I'm honestly very uninterested in debating this.

I am personally aware of one. And will not provide you the studies nor links to the others here because that is unnecessary fear-mongering. 

Twitching alone remains a VERY poor indication of illness, but listing it as an impossibility is reckless.

There's a quote somewhere about science being a study of probability, not of absolutes.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 03:47:28 PM »
And do not levy your personal, 'hell' as a refutation.

We're all there. We've all been through it. I'm going through it now. There's an entire forum dedicated to this specific anxiety (AboutBFS).

Anger is a typical response to fear, however it does not change fact. 

That said, this is not an appropriate place to argue over this. PM me if you really must and I will give you those links or a place to look for them (this is only available to albert, I will not provide it to any one else and discourage seeking it out).

OP, you still don't have ALS, so don't fret.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Tags: GAD hypochondria