Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Please read!  (Read 252 times)

Offline joycecaroll

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Please read!
« on: June 29, 2014, 09:11:01 AM »
Today is not a good day. My tongue twitched today. Like for 5 seconds. I know it's probably ridiculous to think ALS after 5 secs of tongue twitching, but since I've read the only reason for tongue twitching is ALS I can't shake my fear.

So, anyone who's ever had this, please share. I need to hear that other people has had the feeling of twitching in the tongue.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 220
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please read!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:27:45 AM »
I have had it back in '97 during my first MS and brief fear of ALS.  I don't have any neuro nasty.

I remember telling the psychiatrist that I thought  I had ALS.  He, literally, laughed at me.  That pretty much shook me back to reality.  I am pretty sure he'd laugh at folks who fear ALS here too.   :winking0008:  :yes:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline joycecaroll

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:32:26 AM »
Haha wow, wish that had happened to me!

I can't get over this text I read where a dr claimed the only reason för twitching in the tongue is ALS: Dr. Geraci says that the only real cause of tongue twitching is ALS, and that “benign fascics never affect the tongue.”

What should I make of that?
Bookmark and Share

Offline joycecaroll

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:17:44 AM »
Anyone?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 39
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 11:36:04 AM »
I must have ALS then.  My tongue just twitched while I was replying to this!

If it were a regular, constant twitch then maybe it would be worth seeing a doctor, but a brief twitch that comes and goes isn't anything to worry about.  All muscles twitch a little now and again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline joycecaroll

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 11:55:30 AM »
I must have ALS then.  My tongue just twitched while I was replying to this!

If it were a regular, constant twitch then maybe it would be worth seeing a doctor, but a brief twitch that comes and goes isn't anything to worry about.  All muscles twitch a little now and again.

Did you have like a pulsating twitchy feeling?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 12:18:25 PM »
joyce.  i am telling you that he would be laughing

ALS is probably the MOST common fear posted on here.  i have been a member here over 5yrs and exactly ZERO people have been dx'd from it.  you are the same.

you would be much better off dealing with the anxiety in your life that is allowing your body to react physically.  you see that is what this is all about.  your body reacting physically to emotional distress.  Whether you can believe it or not is another matter, but it doesn't change the fact that you don't have ALS
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline joycecaroll

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 12:20:31 PM »
joyce.  i am telling you that he would be laughing

ALS is probably the MOST common fear posted on here.  i have been a member here over 5yrs and exactly ZERO people have been dx'd from it.  you are the same.

you would be much better off dealing with the anxiety in your life that is allowing your body to react physically.  you see that is what this is all about.  your body reacting physically to emotional distress.  Whether you can believe it or not is another matter, but it doesn't change the fact that you don't have ALS

But how can I be sure I don't have it? Have other people posted about tongue twitching here before?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 12:22:21 PM »
I twitch nonstop all over. As a fellow als worry wart, let me tell you this. I've had twitches in my tongue like you. Can I still speak properly? Yes (knock on wood). I know the chances are slim to none (I'm 22) but we HA people cling to that small percentage. It's easier to give advice rather than take it. You will be ok.
Bookmark and Share

Offline joycecaroll

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 12:28:53 PM »
I twitch nonstop all over. As a fellow als worry wart, let me tell you this. I've had twitches in my tongue like you. Can I still speak properly? Yes (knock on wood). I know the chances are slim to none (I'm 22) but we HA people cling to that small percentage. It's easier to give advice rather than take it. You will be ok.

You sure you had the exact same thing in your tongue?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 12:48:22 PM »
yes other people have posted AND I told you it has happened to me.

How can you be sure?????   How can you be sure you don't have a hidden heart problem right now?  How can you be sure you won't get in a car accident tomorrow or struck by lightening???  You can't be sure.

Bottom line:  Joyce you will never be sure no matter what you are told.  this surety just doesn't exist--at least for a HA person.

so you have a choice to make,  continue to monitor/google/self check and live in fear of a disease you don't have OR take a leap of faith and realize the farfetchedness of you having ALS and start working on your thinking disorder.  How much of your life are willing to give away to anxiety?
Bookmark and Share