Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: zoloft dosage question...  (Read 170 times)

Offline zav4999

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
zoloft dosage question...
« on: June 28, 2014, 01:30:51 PM »
so my anxiety had gotten out of hand and though I've been able to manage it for years, It was getting pretty bad lately and I'm kind of tired of just being ok with managing my anxiety but never being happy about it so I decided to finally take Zoloft which I've avoided for years. I started last sunday at 25mg and i'm not sure if it worked or not but I wasn't really anxious for most the week, not like I had been. no side effects that I could notice. So now i'm just wondering should I up it to my prescribed 50mg pill tomarrow? will that start the therapeutic dose I need to start the time period of it taking effect ? I'm a little anxious today and of course my anxious mind starts thinking oh this med might not work for me now which it felt like it was and I know it's only been a week but I really think this could help with my chronic anxiety
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: zoloft dosage question...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 02:40:24 PM »
Hi you and I are in similar situations. I too started last weekend at 25mg. I just up'd to 50mg yesterday. I have been anxious with the common side effects. The number one thing to remember on the startup is patience. It will work.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 05:52:01 PM »
i'm not sure if it worked or not but I wasn't really anxious for most the week

Antidepressants work by promoting the growth of new brain cells and strengthening the interconnections between regions of the brain. It is the new cells and connections which produce the therapeutic effect, not the meds themselves. This all takes time so any improvement in the first week was likely the placebo effect in action which is no bad thing.

So now i'm just wondering should I up it to my prescribed 50mg pill tomarrow?

Yes, you should. Neurogenesis requires a minimum dose to initiate and sustain the process and for most this is 50mg of Zoloft. This is still a small dose, most need to take 100-150mg/day for good results.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline zav4999

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 06:10:34 PM »
thanks for the replies. yea joe i have a good feeling it will help me with this anxiety ive dealt with for years just need to be patient and know it takes time. how'd you do on your first week at 25mg?
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 06:45:15 PM »
Hi - At 25mg I wasn't too bad. Some anxiety in the beginning. Kind of up and down for the week. I went to 50 yesterday. Feeling anxious, a little sluggish, not much fun. But we are on our way. It can be rough in the beginning but we need to hang in there. It is my first time with AD too. Tomorrow will be day 3 on 50 for me. Not a great appetite but I'm making sure I eat enough. Sleep was off more in the beginning than now but still not great. But I think it will improve. Hang in there my friend and keep in touch.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 06:50:12 PM »
Something else Zav - you might want to just follow the Docs instructions. I think what he is recommending is a fairly routine startup for you.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Tags: