Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Survival school  (Read 170 times)

Offline Bocephus

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Survival school
« on: June 28, 2014, 01:42:21 AM »
Does anybody watch the shows like duel survival or survivorman or naked and afraid?  I love those shows..

Reason I ask is - I always wonder if going through some sort of hard core (like several days of self reliance) would be helpful for people dealing with depression, anxiety, phobias, hypochondria, etc...  I know it would be scary, but I wonder what kind of impact that would have on some of us.  Like for me for instance, I have major anxiety and HA, and a lot of insecurity (mostly career wise)..  I wonder how I would feel if I took a course and ultimately was tested out in the wilderness with nothing but myself and a multitool..  Obviously I think they teach you prior to leaving you alone and then secretly monitor you for safety...  I don't know, just sharing a thought I've been having.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Survival school
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 05:12:51 AM »
If you had to survive all alone you would. Part of who we are. I have said something similar in the past. Take a person who hates been outside the house and in crowds and just dump them miles from home. May sound like a nightmare. But I bet you they would survive and find a way back home again. Why? Because they had no choice. They had to survive. I have done kind of similar in the past. Indoors for ten years. Wanted to go to Scotland. But wanted to go alone. I had to go alone to show myself I could do it. I live in Ireland. I done it without any problems at all. Simply because I had to. So it can work for you. If you are determined enough.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline gungrinn

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Survival school
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 12:42:16 AM »
I've endured some of this "survival training" in my past life.  And, I have seen many fail.  We don't survive because we have to, but because we want to.  While there are many of these "survival schools" out there, few actually teach you anything you can use.  That is what you should be looking for.  What lessons you would take away from this training.  A better idea, may be to go camping.  Approach that in a minimalist mindset.  See how that goes first.  Isolation, pain, and misery, are poor treatment for depression.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: