Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: weird, sharp pain on left side of chest? =(  (Read 67 times)

Offline soccerash21

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
weird, sharp pain on left side of chest? =(
« on: June 27, 2014, 11:37:07 PM »
okay, so I've had this happen before. It used to happen a lot, but I thought it was due to some sort of food that I would eat. However, I didn't eat that food, so now I have no idea what the heck it's from, but i'm freaking. It used to happen to me a lot last summer, and I don't remember it happening for quite a while. I get this really weird, sharp pain on my left side, sort of right over where my breast is. Sometimes it's under it, but it's usually around the same area, and it's always on my left side. It sort of feels like heart burn, but not really. Its super short and comes and goes really fast. What the heck is it? I was in the ER last December for anxiety and they ran an ekg and said everything looked normal- but that was 7 months ago, so I'm freaked something has come up since then =/ It has been doing it on and off throughout the day, and it's really worrying me. It comes and goes like once every 5 minutes or so, but not all the time. Do I need to go to the ER? I'm terrified it's a sign of a heart attack or something awful =(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: weird, sharp pain on left side of chest? =(
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 11:50:26 PM »
Doesn't really sound like heart pain to me. I've gone through this sort of thing before with varying types of pain in my chest, had the tests done and then thought that they maybe missed something, etc. It's almost certainly just muscular pain caused by a small muscle group spasming, which can hurt like the dickens for a brief moment, but it might also be a muscle or tendon getting pinched by your ribs (I get this all the time and it hurts like crazy especially when I try to take a deep breath, until I manage to find the right position to get it free again). Both of these can be caused by tension, but both are also harmless though painful. As someone who isn't a doctor in real life but sometimes plays one on the internet, I'm prescribing my usual; take some aspirin if it still hurts (on the plus side aspirin is what they would suggest for heart attack anyway, so you get a bit of added reassurance) and try to relax those muscles as much as possible. Do some deep breathing to help you relax, try to massage the area, and have a piece of chocolate because that always helps everything.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: weird, sharp pain on left side of chest? =(
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 03:35:01 AM »
A couple good rules of thumb for these things is first, that sharp pain is not normally part of heart pain. It feels a lot different. I have a minor mitral valve prolapse and it hurts now and then... and its not sharp. Its weird.

the second is that if you can point to where it hurts, it's probably not heart pain.

Neither of these things can be used to determine what is causing the pain. But if you've had heart tests come back clean and you're having sharp pain you can point to, you can be pretty sure your pain is not from your heart.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: