Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Please Help! Really need to know if I should call 911 or am just paranoid  (Read 220 times)

Offline cameronj

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi, so I was sitting on my couch watching TV and all of a sudden I had a sharp dull pain in the middle of my chest. I am freaking out now and have been constantly checking my heart rate and blood pressure because I think I am going to have a heart attack!!! I am 21 years old and pretty healthy. My friend lost her dad to a heart attack this week and I've been paranoid that I'm going to have one. Besides the sharp dull pain in the middle of my chest (which only lasted several seconds), the middle of my chest has felt tight. I told my parents and they said that I am perfectly fine (but they know i am a hypochondriac). Should I call 911 because I could be getting ready to have a heart attack or am I fine?!?!

My heart rate has been between 75 and 83 bmp for the past 15 minutes (which is normal for me), but I am terrified that the sharp dull pain I felt could be an impending heart attack.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline cameronj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Please, anyone?
Bookmark and Share

Online Bocephus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Cameronj have you had anymore chest pains or just that one that was a few seconds?  Are you in the company of family right now?  Like in there same room?  Perhaps you should be.  And do some breathing exercises...  Breath through your nose into your stomach for 4 seconds, and then 4 seconds into your chest, hold it for 2 and the slowly exhale though your mouth.. Do this 5 times...  And then report back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lars Thorwald

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
21 year olds don't have heart attacks. Your friends father was in his 50s or 60s. Do the breathing that Boc suggests. Probably anxiety or costochondritis? Take care.
Bookmark and Share
"Is it meningitis? Scoliosis? Lupus? Is it lupus?"  --George Costanza

Offline cameronj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Mainly just that one for a few seconds. My chest felt somewhat tight after, but I'm not sure if that was just from me being really anxious. Yes, I am in the company of family (in the same room). It has been over an hour and I haven't had another sharp dull pain. It was not exactly in the center of my chest. It was somewhat above the exact center. I don't have any shortness of breath, my complexion is fine, and i'm not light headed. Although my chest is still somewhat tight. I ate fast food for the first time in several months today, so could it be indigestion or should i seriously consider going to the hospital? My family thinks I'm absolutely fine, but I'm convinced that I could have a heart attack. The spot was higher-up

Thanks!

Thank you Lars. Yes my friend's father was 51
Bookmark and Share

Offline cameronj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I read somewhere that symptoms will typically occur 15-30 minutes before the heart attack. If this is true, then I'm going to assume that I am perfectly fine since it has been almost 2 hours? Is this correct?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I think you're fine if the pain hasn't returned. It was probably a muscle spasm or muscular-skeletal pain in your sternum caused by muscle tightness. If you are concerned about a heart attack because someone close to you died of one recently, then you may be carrying extra tension in your chest without even being aware of it. Also, some fast food has MSG which can cause hypertension in certain individuals, which could contribute to the tightness as well.

ETA: I think you should do the typical relaxation things, try to maybe rub the chest muscles around the area, and eat a piece of chocolate because chocolate always helps.  ;D
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Not a heart attack. They come On sudden. The tightness in chest is probably anxiety. I used to get it constantly years ago.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Online Bocephus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Yeah Cameron like other said, you're young and healthy!  Just stress/anxiety. 

The chest is a funny thing.  The tissue in between ribs around the chest is fairly sensitive too so it's prone to all kinds of funny little feelings.  It can give ya a little pain once in no while and send ya into a tailspin. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline cameronj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thank you for all of your replies. It is much appreciated. You all saved me from an expensive hospital bill. I had a similar situation over a year ago, but other symptoms as well and I rushed myself to the ER and had an EKG and everything was completely normal even though I was convinced I was going to have a heart attack.  I decided to play tennis for an hour to just see how it would go and nothing happened, so I assume its most likely muscular and therefore, I shouldn't worry about a heart attack??? I still have some discomfort but its more on the inside of my pectoral muscles (mainly right side). 

I guess I wouldn't still be posting on here if I was going to have a heart attack. Especially since it happened so many hours ago
Bookmark and Share

Online Bocephus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
You're good as new man
Bookmark and Share

Offline wanderlust2386

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Not encouraging this, but if you ever are really scared and need to call 911, they only charge you if they take you to the hospital. So for example if you are having chest pains, they arrive, they tell you that you are okay, then just refuse to be taken in. A really nice EMT let me know this last time I had to call and told me I was ok and if I wanted to be admitted I was better off calling a friend. They told me never to feel bad about false alarms. Better safe than sorry. Anyway, hope you're feeling better, chest pain is scary!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: