Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety and sleep; help ;(  (Read 94 times)

Offline LouiseThomy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety and sleep; help ;(
« on: June 27, 2014, 07:03:44 PM »
I'm 18, and I started work 1 week ago, 9h a day eveyday. I get home knackered, and as I'm about to sleep, I wake up gasping because my body just as I fell asleep had a sinking sensation (?) ( as I've my body just sank) I woke up gasping for aire.
Right now, I'm soooo tired, just my anxiety is worse at night...

Help!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety and sleep; help ;(
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 07:24:13 PM »
I completely feel for you. Does it feel like your body "jerks" you awake? Because what you are describing sounds very much like a "hypnic jerk" - you can look it up if you want. They are not considered anything serious - it's like having an hiccup. The problem is of course that is prevents you from sleeping which can cause anxiety which further prevents you from sleeping. I am constantly having this problem most nights.

It is actually severely effecting me more than anything that I have experienced. But don't let that effect you.

I am trying to convince myself that it is caused by anxiety because I would usually get these jerks before my health anxiety but never worry about them. So they never became a problem (certainly not every night). My sleep has always been a problem but I would never get anxiety over sleep (at least not everyday). But now, I am constantly worrying about my sleep and I constantly worry about jerking awake every night. And oddly enough, I can't seem to stop experiencing them. This tells me that I have evidence to believe it is anxiety related. But it is really hard for me to be convinced.

It could very well be anxiety related. The current knowledge is that the medical community don't really know what causes them. And there is also a lack of research because there is barely any concern about them. But in my case, its my biggest concern. I have thought about bringing it up with my GP but I don't think there will be much that he can tell me about it - not anything more than what I have already read anyway.

I hope you can come to terms with it and not let it worry you. The less you worry, the less it will happen. Good luck and hope you have a good night sleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 07:27:36 PM »
Oh, I forgot, I think sleep deprivation does increase their rates as well. Since you said that you come home knackered, it could very well be due to your tiredness. Or, it could be that because you are knackered, and because you have had a hard days work, you are feeling stressed - and the stress is what may increase the jerks. Could be either way really. Or it could be a mixture of both. We can't be sure. But like I said, try and be strong and not like me… let it drive you crazy!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lars Thorwald

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 09:42:28 PM »
I've had those hypnic jerks... could be my whole body jerking or just my finger, still prevents me from falling asleep. Frustrating. Thankfully it doesn't happen too often. Sometimes I'll pop a Benadryl and that helps me. Good luck.
Bookmark and Share
"For days after death, hair and fingernails continue to grow but phone calls taper off." --Johnny Carson

Tags: