Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Mixing Zoloft w/ Ibuprofen or Naproxen  (Read 182 times)

Offline joe2014

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Mixing Zoloft w/ Ibuprofen or Naproxen
« on: June 27, 2014, 05:49:37 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has used ibuprofen or naproxen along with zoloft. If so how did they interact? Thanks
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 100
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mixing Zoloft w/ Ibuprofen or Naproxen
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has used ibuprofen or naproxen along with zoloft. If so how did they interact?

There is no interaction between them and SSRIs, however, you need to be aware that serotonergic antidepressants reduce blood coagulation, as do the NSAID painkillers such as ibuprofen and naproxen so there is a potential increased bleeding risk when these are taken together regularly. Therefore acetaminophen (aka paracetamol) is a better option if you need to take a painkiller for longer than a day or two.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 08:03:53 PM »
Great info Ian - as usual. It would only be for a day or two. Thank you.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 04:24:03 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has used ibuprofen or naproxen along with zoloft. If so how did they interact?

There is no interaction between them and SSRIs,

I probably should have added that there probably is a significant interaction between mirtazapine (Remeron) and aspirin.  Certainly, other serotonin 5-HT3 receptor antagonists such as ondansetron and ketanserin reduce the pain killing effects of aspirin by blocking the down-regulation of the serotonin 5-HT2 receptor in rats so it is likely to be the case with mirtazapine too (Sandrini M, 2002). I don't know whether other NSAIDs are also affected, but it may be a possibility.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 08:34:40 AM »
What about someone who takes a baby asprin for heart health along with Sertraline?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »
What about someone who takes a baby asprin for heart health along with Sertraline?

They should discuss this with their doctor as it may no longer be necessary and could cause problems.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: