Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Would you consider this OCD?  (Read 392 times)

Offline CanSomeoneRelate?

• Silly Anxiety, Nobody Wants You Here!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Anxiety Go Away
    • Poke This Member
Would you consider this OCD?
« on: June 27, 2014, 04:29:07 PM »
Typically, on a bad anxiety day, if I don't do specific things (ie. double check the iron, hair straightener or door locks as leaving home), by dog and boyfriend will either, a. die due to a fire or b. get robbed and murdered.

I notice this happens a lot to me. I know it sounds crazy, but another part of me believes it & reacts to it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walnut

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Re: Would you consider this OCD?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 01:00:40 AM »
This is classic OCD. I suggest you get the book brain lock by dr jeffrey schwartz m.d.
You can overcome this. Get a journal and write down these compulsions. Pick a compulsion and challenge that compulsion for awhile. Writing down daily that nothing bad happened. The thought that if you dont do one of these compulsions or something bad will happen is irrational but, its part of the disorder. You may feel more anxious during the time you are challenging these compulsions but you will have the journal to look back at to prove to yourself that nothing bad actually did happen. Once you have done this enough you should be able to free yourself from this. Hope this helps you in some way.
Bookmark and Share
I am horrible about forgetting which threads I have replied to. If you dont get a reply back from me feel free to message me.

My screen name used to be "Nutty" Ive been a member since 2008. I forgot what email I used back then so I cant login to my old name.

Offline CanSomeoneRelate?

• Silly Anxiety, Nobody Wants You Here!
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Anxiety Go Away
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
Thank you very much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 01:12:30 PM »
I agree with Walnut.

Classic OCD. "If I don't do this (touch iron) then this will happen (I will lose my job)".

I've got OCD, too.

With meds and practice.... I'm down to checking things only before I go out...with no thought involved.

Example: I used to check stove, unplug all electronics, touch doors 7 times each and then with each one had the "if I don't, this will happen" attached.

Now, when I leave the house, sometimes  I check the stove once, no longer unplug electronics, etc, .....and there is no "if I don't, this will happen" attached.

Walnut has great advice re: journaling.  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walnut

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 03:51:51 PM »
your welcome cansomeonerelate?
thank you redapples
Bookmark and Share
I am horrible about forgetting which threads I have replied to. If you dont get a reply back from me feel free to message me.

My screen name used to be "Nutty" Ive been a member since 2008. I forgot what email I used back then so I cant login to my old name.

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 04:59:14 PM »
@CanSomeOneRelate you're welcome.

Are you on meds for your OCD?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walnut

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 09:04:46 PM »
your welcome cansomeonerelate?
thank you redapples

forgive me for the question mark it should have read
your welcome cansomeonerelate
Bookmark and Share

Offline 135ocd

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 08:15:19 PM »
I experience this type of OCD. Kiss your hand or your mum will get murdered today, that's the type of things I get and I know it's stupid and won't happen but part of me finds that image so disgusting and unbearable and if something was to happen I would never forgive myself. So j do it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 08:47:22 PM »
Hi everyone,

OCD was the most difficult to get any real help with  ::) In the past, most Doctors where just not educated in this area.!

I was lucky back in the 1990's to find a good Psychiatrist and the right combination of medication to eliminate this from my life, and I am so happy I finally did.

If you suspect you might have OCD - below is great Self-Quiz and solid information, OCD can be very mild, that you can just use some good CBT and positive therapy to control it.  Others, like myself were in the Medium-Serious OCD that was interfering with everything I did in my life. ::)

If you feel your OCD is serious enough ... you would do well in seeing a Psychiatrist to eliminate this "BEAST"  :yes:

Below is the OCD Info and Self-Test link:

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHocd.pdf - OCD + SELF-TEST
                                            I have upsetting thoughts or images enter my mind again and again.
                                            I feel like I can’t stop these thoughts or images, even though I want to.
                                            I have a hard time stopping myself from doing things again : counting, checking on things, washing hands.
                                            I am Re-arranging objects, doing things until it feels right, collecting useless objects
                                            I worry a lot about terrible things that could happen if I’m not careful.
                                            I have unwanted urges to hurt someone but know I never would.

Good Luck - and Keep Moving Forward  :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 08:50:56 PM »
I experience this type of OCD. Kiss your hand or your mum will get murdered today, that's the type of things I get and I know it's stupid and won't happen but part of me finds that image so disgusting and unbearable and if something was to happen I would never forgive myself. So j do it.

Hi 135OCD :action-smiley-065:

I am very happy you are joining us, you will find many people here that can relate  :yes:   And Many resources to help you in your Journey to recovery and a healthy mental and physical life .

You will find we have a lot of members who share your OCD and anxiety issues that can relate to your situation!

Please feel free share any information you are comfortable with  :happy0151:

Having been there myself, along with so many of our members - you will find a lot empathy and understanding  :yes:

Being a member here, I have found 3 great areas to help you :sign0169:
1.   Solid and helpful information and even a self-test quiz, VERY HELPFUL when I speak to my dr. - I would have printouts of my symptoms and self-quiz to help my doctor point me in the right directions :action-smiley-065: - here are some great links to get you started :grinning-smiley-003:

SELF-DIAGNOSIS AND SELF-TESTS

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHpanic.pdf - PANIC DISORDER + SELF-TEST
                                            I have chest pains or a racing heart.  I have a hard time breathing or a choking feeling.
                                            I feel dizzy, or I sweat a lot.  I have stomach problems or feel like I need to throw up.
                                            I shake, tremble, or tingle. I feel out of control. I feel unreal.
                                            I am afraid I am dying or going crazy.

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHgad.pdf  -  GAD anxiety + SELF-TEST
                                            I never stop worrying about things big and small. I have headaches and other aches and pains for no reason.
                                            I am tense a lot and have trouble relaxing. I have trouble keeping my mind on one thing.
                                            I have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. I sweat and have hot flashes.
                                            I sometimes have a lump in my throat or feel like I need to throw up when I am worried

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHdepwomenknows.pdf - DEPRESSION + SELF-TEST
                                            Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" mood. Loss of interest or pleasure in activities, including sex.
                                            Restlessness, irritability, or excessive crying. Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness, hopelessness,.
                                            Sleeping too much or too little, early-morning awakening.  Appetite and/or weight loss or overeating / weight gain
                                            Decreased energy, fatigue, feeling "slowed down"
                                            Thoughts of death or taking one's own life. Difficulty concentrating, remembering, or making decisions.
                                            Persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment, - headaches, digestive disorders, chronic pain

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHocd.pdf - OCD + SELF-TEST
                                            I have upsetting thoughts or images enter my mind again and again.
                                            I feel like I can’t stop these thoughts or images, even though I want to.
                                            I have a hard time stopping myself from doing things again : counting, checking on things, washing hands.
                                            I am Re-arranging objects, doing things until it feels right, collecting useless objects
                                            I worry a lot about terrible things that could happen if I’m not careful.
                                            I have unwanted urges to hurt someone but know I never would.

HELPFUL ARTICLES AND INFORMATION
                                    http://www.anxietyzone.com/MENANDDE-coverpage(1).pdf – Depression for men 
                                    http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMH317.406_F_TSH_treatable.pdf  - Depression is Treatable
                                    http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,26.0.html – Social Anxiety overview

2.   Many caring members and resources to help you in both Therapy – CBT, Positive thinking, and Medical Therapy – which medications are being used and our member’s experience in using them.  :sad0126:

3.   Chat – Being able to communicate with on another is so important in the healing and recovery process.  :chat:

Make yourself home, and feel free to post any questions you may have.  :sign0016:

You are now taking the first steps to improving your mental and physical health in putting JOY back into your Life!   :grinning-smiley-003:
You have a bright Future waiting for you!   :nature-smiley-016:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 08:41:06 AM »
Hi, it's Snoopy from the meds thread  :action-smiley-065:

I definitely have anxiety but I have always wondered if it's OCD too. My psychiatrist has said it's probably a little of both but focused on treating the symptoms more than getting super specific on which thing I had.

I took the test you have here and I have the obsessive thoughts for sure but not the counting or checking or hand washing or any of that.  But challenging the thought does work for me.

My Dad had either OCD or anxiety, maybe both? He was a hoarder for the last 20 years of his life, and also could only go to and from work, no where else.  If my Dad had OCD then I guess I could too but I am so different than him. Not only don't I hoard, I keep things extra tidy.

Anyway, just curious!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Powerslave1724

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 11:53:29 PM »
Oh yeah, I've dealt with thoughts like that my entire life! I started dating my wife freshman year of high school. We are 30/31 now and have been together ever since. I constantly had to do certain things and complete certain rituals or I would think she would break up with me...of course the fact we are now married with 2 kids doesn't help my OCD either! We are together because I nailed those rituals and did those things!  :laugh3:

But yes, that's a characteristic of OCD.
Bookmark and Share