Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Am I really a hypochondriac? Or just partially one?  (Read 171 times)

Offline Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Am I really a hypochondriac? Or just partially one?
« on: June 26, 2014, 09:36:19 PM »
The only time I ever had health anxiety was after my first panic attack in 1997. Since that was my first one ever and out of no where I of course had to go by the symptoms to guess what was going on with me. The shakes feeling made me think it was a seizure. The pounding heart made me think it was heart attack. And I went to the dr and was checked out all over. EKG and all. After that experience I did not want to see a doctor ever again. I didn't even go back after 2 weeks to get on meds for it. So for months after the first attack, I thought I had a heart problem cause I always felt tightness in my chest. Or if I felt a pain in my head I would think it was a seizure but I didn't flip out Evey time. I would feel weird feelings in my chest like tingly feelings and I did check my heart beats daily lol with a stethoscope. but that all passed and that was the end of my health anxiety. Granted, I still had the occasional panic attacks now and then but I was ok. I got thru them.

But like I said, I never freaked out about anything after I was over my heart fear. Pains, headaches,  anything was nothing to me. I see a lot of people here that have been this way forever.

I am here now, after all those years of not ever caring about my physical health, I only went to the dr if I had to. My last dr visit was in 2003 and feb of this year was when bang, I had the off balance feeling from a sinus infection to hit me and trigger the guessing game again. Stroke? Seizure? Did not even think of it being a brain tumor. I thought logical and said, it must be my ears. But it got worse since I was having to wait 4 long weeks to see my ddoctor. And that's when it all got worse. The off balance, the pressure in my forehead and eyes. I has had the same type of pressure in my head and eyes year ago but I surely did not think of it being anything as serious as a brain tumor. Infact I went to the dr for meds And in a week I felt so much relief. But this time around it's been terrible. The anxiety alone but cause I could not see my dr right away, I turned to google. And i have no idea what came up to think I had brain tumor. I think it was the pressure in my forehead that made me think it was a tumor putting pressure on my eyes and brain. Then the balance symptom really had my attention. Not to mention I was already bed bound cause of the imbalance. It was tough as heck and I felt like my hand was weak and couldn't grab things right. Sometimes I still feel that way. And I am still not fully better after being diagnosed last month with allergies and sinus problems. I went thru months of panic and anxiety attacks waiting to finally be diagnosed. And I don't have panic or full blown anxiety attacks anymore.

The synptoms I have now are pressure in my forehead, eyes, nose. Face. Sometimes dizziness feeling in my head. Nausea. Post nasal drip. No energy. Appetite is good some days and some days it's not. I get short of breath and feel like I can't get words out.

When I was trying to get back to walking after being in bed for several months, I walked and ran until my legs could not walk anymore. I got so exhausted and had anxiety just standing on my feet cause my body is so nervous from how I felt off balance. I would push myself thru the anxiety eveyday little by little but the more I pushed thru it the worse I felt. I would feel so spaced out. Get derealization from it. Feel dizzy headed. Drunk. Felt like I couldn't stand up or keep my balance which all lead me to believing afai and again I had a brain tumor. 

I have had tons of people to tell me to go back to my doctor or admit myself in the hospital.  But I do not do it. Most hypochondriacs would be running to the er or doctors office but I don't. I guess cause I am afraid of going on that they will find something they missed. I have thought about going just to make sure that my blood levels are ok and to talk to my doctor about my fear of a brain disease. But I don't do it. Then I feel like maybe if I don't go I could get worse. I'm ok hearing nursed say I need to se my dr again for help, but when I hear other people say it I freak out and think that there must be something wrong with me. Why is that? Anyone else like this?

I don't know what else they can do for me besides rule more things out. Not everything has been ruled out. I had blood work, ct scan of head without contrast even though I requested with contrast. Maybe I just need to be treated better for my allergies since that was my diagnosis.

I'm just rambling right now. And wondering if this is me being a hypochondriac or if I really should go see my dr again to talk to her about Eveything. My anxiety, my fear and just making sure that my blood is ok from bed rest. Or just try new allergy pill and see how I feel.

This is probably a stupid post. I'm just talking out my thoughts. :)

Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Am I really a hypochondriac? Or just partially one?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 09:47:32 PM »
Lots of typos in there lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bocephus

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 09:52:11 PM »
My hypochondria started the same way, with my first physical panic attack when I was about 18.  I'm 39 now and have had my share of tests, dr visits, exams, ER visits, etc..  The only real things ever wrong with me was Hernia and a couple of illnesses like ear infection, and flu.  I really don't like going to dr for the same reasons - afraid of the results.  I did go a few weeks ago for a swollen tonsil but the dr said it was fine and normal.  I decided instead of worrying about my health all the time and going to the MD, I would go to a physiologist instead - and it's been the best decision let me tell you. 

I believe everybody has a little HA and that's ok.  For us, it's about finding the root cause of our HA which is anxiety and curing that. 

Bocephus
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 10:00:20 PM »
We all worry to an extent when we don't feel well or just right. As long as your worry does not consume your life, you are OK.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 10:22:57 PM »
Yeah. I am trying ways to help me deal and get on my healing path. That's why I am gonna order a book on health anxiety. It's not like I'm wanting to give up, I am willing to find help no mater what. I have let it consume me for too long.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chunkymonkey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 10:29:31 PM »
I undersyand what youre going through. Ive been a hypochondriac for only 9 months and its been a living hell. Spent about $4000 on dr visits, tests and meds and drs always says its anxiety but im still not convinced. Even though ive been a hypochondriac for 9 months, im constantly asking myself when this will all end. I just cant stand thinking that i might have to live like this for the rest of my life. I feel like i wasted those 9 months constantly worrying, going to the dr and spending so much money. I feel like an mri will be my last resort. If my mri comes out clear, i am definitely going to work on my anxiety since i got all my other health worries figured out
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:36:08 PM »
That's exactly how I feel. I feel like if I could talk to my doctor one more time and she actually listen to my concerns and request me an MRI then I think that would help me and start me on my healing process. If the ct scan had been with contrast I think that would have been enough but I know MRI's are so much more detailed. If I could have a doctor to come into my room now and just listen to me and not be in a rush and explain to me things even that would make me feel better. I know it may not take away my anxiety all together and may not take away the symptoms but just a doctor really listening to me would be enough.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chunkymonkey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 02:35:50 AM »
Yea i hate it when some drs are in a rush and doesnt answer all your questions or just says "dont worry too much". Since i paid for the copay i feel like drs should spend more time with patients and listen to their concerns. My cardiologist only spent 5 minutes saying my holter monitor looked fine and just rushed out the door without answering my questions. Good thing i had insurance or else i would pay $300 for 5 minute consultation
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 02:40:03 AM »
Yes it's bs! They could have a good law suit in their hands. Most of the drs I talk to on healthtap say you need to see your dr for ct scan or MRI to diagnose your symptoms. Yes if it was just easy for doctors just to order a test you want. I know I had a scan but it was without contrast and I requested one with contrast and of all my head. But it turned out not being the full head and no contrast. Made me very mad.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chunkymonkey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 11:12:03 AM »
Oh i see. I would be mad too if my ct scan wasnt on my full brain. I hope my dr gets me an mri since those are better. Im just so sick and tired of waiting to see my dr and get an mri. I just want my life back. I havent been able to sleep well because of my anxiety and would wake up with a panic attack. Sucks that health anxiety can hurt us emotionally, physically and financially
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 11:33:11 AM »
Well from what she showed me it was a round circle and she said that was top of my brain and that a tumor would show up. I wanted to trust her.

I know how you feel I want same thing. I really believe MRI would really end this for me too I just can't afford one. :(
Bookmark and Share

Tags: