Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Globus from anxiety or something more sinister??  (Read 125 times)

Offline Gemgrl2000

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Globus from anxiety or something more sinister??
« on: June 26, 2014, 05:48:19 PM »
Hey all, I'm at my wits end here...
I am a raving hypochondriac to the point that just the thought of seeing a Dr or Dentist sends me into a downward spiral. That being said, I had a VERY stressful week last week with hubby being out of town, jury duty and my little dog spending 4 days in intensive care. I seem to have developed a lump in my throat that I feel when I swallow only. It's not there every time and tends to come and go during the day. I don't wake up in the morning with it.

I know us anxiety sufferers tend to get that globus ( feeling of a knot in the throat) but I'm not sure that is what I'm experiencing here. This feels sort of like a popcorn husk or a callus at the extreme back of my tongue. It started out on the right side and has moved to the left and is now in the middle. Drinking water seems to help and I've started taking Pepcid just today thinking it may be from acid reflux which I'm also having a tad bit of at the moment. I do not feel it when swallowing food or liquid. There's also no pain.
I know the question will be asked so here goes.. Yes, I am a light smoker which is why this has my anxiety at its worst right now.

I've read a few posts about the papillae on the back of the tongue can become inflamed from post nasal drip ( which I'm having lots of) an irritation or a viral infection but I'm desperate to hear others opinions on this that have had the same thing. I'm one of the few here afraid to google so I'm counting on you fellow hypos to calm me down. I'm barely eating, having trouble sleeping and feeling extremely depressed right now!
Thanks in advance!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ChangingArranging

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Globus from anxiety or something more sinister??
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 06:29:25 PM »
Since my major anxiety attack a year ago, I've had pretty much the same sensation you describe.  I feel like there's something caught, like a bell pepper skin or a pill...usually either to one side or the other, but sometimes in the middle.  It was every day for months back then, and now it comes and goes, but it's mostly gone.  The doctor put a scope down my throat and looked last year and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

This is easier said than done, but stopping that smoking habit would not only put you on the path to all the health benefits of being a non-smoker, but for anxiety sufferers it does even more good.  The nicotine stimulates and increases anxiety symptoms, and for those of us with health anxiety, it gives us that much more to worry about, and adds some credibility to the horrible scenarios we imagine for ourselves.  Stopping would give you those benefits, and would also be something tangible you can accomplish in your anxiety struggle.  It's an all-around win. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gemgrl2000

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Globus from anxiety or something more sinister??
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »
Thank you for replying.

This "lump " is still driving me crazy but it seems to come on less throughout the day and only last a short period of time when it does pop up. It seems to have settled in the middle now and feels like I'm swallowing over something like a small piece of food or something. Drinking lots of water seems to help some and it tends to flare when I am really anxious.
Did yours feel like it was on the back of your tongue? So far back that you can't see anything?
Do you think if it was something terrible it would come and go and have flare ups? I'm having a lot of mucus right now, I'm wondering if it's just an irritation from that...
I have stopped smoking recently...mainly due to fear..
Bookmark and Share

Tags: