Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: What are your full blown panic attack symptoms???  (Read 480 times)

Offline carolina girl

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
What are your full blown panic attack symptoms???
« on: June 26, 2014, 01:52:19 PM »
Ok guys..... I have had more tests in the last two weeks than I have in quite sometime....I have had a couple docs say it could be panic attacks and others who aren't sure.  Here are my symptoms-- It starts with an anxious/jittery feeling in my chest then leads to a fast heart rate anywhere from 150-180, difficulty breathing, extreme lightheadedness, extrememly weak legs, involuntary full body tremors worse in the legs, tightness in my upper abdomen/ lower chest area like there is a fist in there squeezing, and adrenaline rush feelings.  I have had the urine test for a pheochromocytoma which was negative, thyroid was checked which was normal, abdominal/gallbladder/kidney ultrasound which was normal... and some general labwork that was also normal.  I have worn a holter monitor to make sure the rhythm of my heart is normal and it is normal it just becomes fast during these "episodes".  I had an echo on my heart last year that was normal.  So why are these episodes soooooo intense?? Do you guys believe this is a panic attack?  The light headedness, vision changes, and weak legs friek me out SO bad.  And I am sure I will pass out during these though I never have??  Sorry for the rant I am just really struggling with this right now and I am a mess.  I was started on Zoloft last week so hoping it kicks in soon. And I take Ativan as needed.  I have had about 4 of these episodes in the last week and half with constant anxiety over another one.... I can't drive and can barely do my job at work. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What are your full blown panic attack symptoms???
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 02:03:56 PM »
Antidepressants ramp up anxiety/panic for many when you start to take them.  This could be a reason for the intense panic.  I know that I will get that anxious/ jittery feeling in the chest too, usually at night, and heart rate speeds up with heart palpitations. Bothers me too.  So do the doctors think it's panic/ anxiety? The benzos are helpful.  I also take a beta blocker and that helps too.  Hang in there and I hope you feel better soon. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline carolina girl

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 02:09:55 PM »
These "episodes" actually started before I started taking the zoloft.  I had a super bad episode last tuesday and then again thursday and another yesterday.  Yesterday it only lasted about 30 min but I get so lightheaded and weak I can't walk around.  My co-worker's whelled me around to the ER.  I had eaten so it wasn't my blood sugar.  I am at my wits end.  I just don't understand how Panic attacks can make you feel such intense symptoms???!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 02:19:24 PM »
Panic sensations are the most intense feelings a person can have. Has to be to force us to run or fight for our lives.  We get false alarms and the brain activates this fight and flight response.  We get highly sensitized to the sensations and they are amplified.  It would frighten anybody, no exceptions, so I understand the intensity of the experience.  The benzos will help right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isellure

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 12:23:06 AM »
My first panic attacks I had body tremors, my legs would shake like crazy! Heart rate well over 100 all the time, blood pressure thru the roof 175/100's.  Put me on klonopin, which I hated but I at least got to sleep some. Got off that pretty fast. Put me on beta blockers, but didn't have high blood pressure so that feel to 45/40.  Many trips to the ER since. Mine come from no where. And still does.  I was a single parent, huge job responsibility, did 50 things at one time. Now, I am lucky to do one thing at a time but older and know to much stress causes me to go crazy again!  Lost my job and all this started. Life is great now, but I can't go a month before another panic attack. I think I am find and wham, it starts all over again! I can get it back under control with little meds. .25 xanax twice a day for 3 days and all is good for about 4 weeks, then it creeps back on me and I still cannot feel it coming on until it's pretty bad.mine now comes with dizzy and nausea . All the test are find! I hate panic and anxiety. I can take one no-dye benadryl once or twice a week and it tends to help keep things calmed downIt is definitely tied to me getting enough sleep, not enough sleep and I will be in a tailspin ASAP!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AriaRose

• I am half-sick of shadows said The Lady of Shalott
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 06:07:39 AM »
Oh yeah, darlin, that sounds a lot like a panic attack. Most arent that bad for me but I have had some doozies where I am extremely dizzy, my heart is pounding, my head feels like it is going to explode with pressure, my limbs feel heavy and I feel disoriented, sometimes almost like Im sinking into the ground. My throat tightens, I sweat, I shake, I feel an immense feeling of doom and the only thing I can think is to get away. It can be rough but it is manageable with practice. I havent had one of those super attacks in months. Usually i just get afraid, feel dizzy, and my heart pounds these days.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 11:37:43 PM »
Its actually pretty simple when you get right down to it.

When I have a panic attack, I know I am going to die. Not think, know. When it happens, I am absolutely certain im going to die.

When im not panicking, i have no idea why i felt this way. i can't imagine why I wuold've thought it. And yet the very next time, I will know im about to die.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kavenchols

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 03:19:34 AM »
Actually, in many cases, panic attacks strike out of the blue, without any warning. Often, there is no clear reason for the attack. They may even occur when you’re relaxed or asleep.  Great thread!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xjunkie4jesus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 10:44:40 AM »
Sounds like panic to me BUT you should really ask for a Thyroid test (A T3, T4 and TSH). My ex had all those symptoms and we were SURE he had an anxiety/panic problem because his mom does. The doc did bloodwork to be sure his body was ok to take Zoloft and prescribed it. The test results came in, the doc called and there was an ambulance ride to Portland (The medical center for pretty much everything serious in Maine). He had to be hospitalized in ICU for 3 days and 2 days regular hospital room and underwent months of treatment before they had to kill his thyroid with a radioactive pill and then replace it with thyroid hormone pills. I say all of this NOT to scare you, but to alert you that an overactive Thyroid can almost perfectly mimmic Panic Attack Symptoms. It's NOT DANGEROUS IF CAUGHT EARLY.
Bookmark and Share