Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety taking over my life  (Read 285 times)

Offline beyondripped

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety taking over my life
« on: June 26, 2014, 11:13:34 AM »
I constantly just feel like a awkward mess when I'm around people. When I was a kid and in my early teens I actually used to be pretty energetic and loud and I was known as the 'funny guy'. But midway through high school it just seemed as if I was becoming more and more awkward and anxious and would be questioning myself all the time.

I get so nervous and anxious when I know I have to interact with people that I'm not already familiar with. When I go to parties or social outings I only talk to the few people I already knew and I haven't made a new friend in at least a year. When I do think of something to say to someone I argue with myself whether or not i should speak up until its too late. On the occasions I do speak up I immediately beat myself up about what I just said and worry that the person I'm talking to thinks I'm a complete freak.

I'm even worse in social situations with people much older than me. At my current job I'm the youngest there working with a group of guys aged around 35-45 and I haven't had an actual conversation with any of them since I started working there 3-4 months ago. Its even come to the point where I no longer talk much around my parents.

I've never been treated or anything for social anxiety, in fact this is the first time I've ever wrote/told anyone about my problem. I just dont understand how my anxiety seemingly came from out of no where. My home life has always been great with loving parents and school was always bearable. I could just really use some advice on how to relax myself while socializing and stop being my own worst enemy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety taking over my life
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 05:30:08 AM »
I always tell people to simply stop. Take a step back. Slow themselves down. In other words, do things at your own pace. The quicker we try and get things out the more we stumble over our words and feel a bit silly. So simply stop yourself. Take a deep breath. Tell yourself that you are in full control of things. If that means making others wait a few minutes, then so be it. I do this when I go into shops. Everything is done at my own pace. I stop myself from rushing everything. It is taking control of the situation. But it would be good if you could seek out help as well. You have a problem. Help is out there. If you sort it out early you can get back on track again. Everybody is different in life. Nobody is perfect. Just be yourself. Take things at your own pace.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline KellboRose

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 08:02:04 AM »
Hi I've had problems with anxiety for most of my life to the point where I quit school when I was 14 because I just felt like I couldn't deal with being around people anymore.  I get anxious around family aswell. The severity goes up and down over time for me.  From personal experience I think the best thing you can do is seek out help from a professional. I'm seeing a counselor now and i'm still working on getting better because this has been a longterm problem for me so it takes time to deal with. Once I start working on overcoming this I feel more in control of it. So many people have a problem like this. Once you start taking steps to deal with this then I think you can start to feel more in control of this too. The sooner you get help the sooner you can learn how to deal with this. The worst thing you can do is judge yourself.  Give yourself a break. You have a problem but you can deal with this. You just need help to learn how.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kavenchols

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 01:42:31 AM »
Also anxiety can make you feel sooo many things physically such as: stomach problems, chest pains, chest tightness, headaches, aches and pains anywhere on body, so many more. Do a breast exam and if everything feels the same, you have no discharge from breast, no dents, no rash then it's prob just a normal body pain. But please don't google. It's a nightmare!!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: