Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Blood clot fear.  (Read 136 times)

Offline kvndl2

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Things are lookin' up
    • Poke This Member
Blood clot fear.
« on: June 26, 2014, 10:02:19 AM »
I've been havin this issue with my upper lip off and on for  three weeks now where it'll feel cold\numb. And I went to the doctor and they didn't know what could be causing it so they asked a few other doctors and called me yesterday and said that it could be because I'm getting too much co2 while hyperventilating when having anxiety and it haven't hyperventilated in so long from anxiety so I was confused. But they said to breathe in a paper bag to see if that helped and if not then I should call back. Well that wasn't helping and as I type this I'm having anxiety because I woke up feeling like I wasn't getting enough air even though I was berating fine. And then my head kinda started to have a pain and then my lungs and now I'm afraid I have a blood clot in my brain or lungs. And I'm too afraid to say anything about it and the doctors office is closed at the moment so I can't call them. So is there any signs I should be looking for if I actually had a blood clot? I'm 21 btw.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Blood clot fear.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 10:40:31 AM »
a blood clot in your lungs would cause more than the "feeling like you are not getting enough air"  if you had a PE you wouldn't be able to be sitting here typing.

air hunger or feeling like you are not getting enough air is exceedingly common with anxiety.  I have had it.  it is quite aggravating, to be sure.  I think I find breathing symptoms and eye symptoms to be the hardest not to think about or monitor.  that is because we breathe 24/7 and we 'see' all of the time.  the feeling you are having is due to you monitoring  (whether you realize it or not) your body and just an amped up nervous system.  You are stuck in fight/flight mode.  the same goes for your lip issue. 

the more you think about, pay attention to, or feel scared about this, the worse you will feel.

Ultimately You have to accept what anxiety/stress does to a body.  You know anxiety/stress don't have an on/off switch.  Just because you may feel calm for an hour or a day or a week, it does NOT mean your mind and body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body reverts to a more non-reactive state.  Unfortunately paying attention to what is going on in your body IS what keeps your  mind amped up.

so what to do?  You have to start some proactive habits:  the best one, for me  (other than mentally and emotionally accepting that anxiety/stress cause just about anything you can think of)  was to REALLY  and I mean REALLY distract the mind.  That means you need to involve yourself in meaningful activities.  Ones that truly take you away to the point that you are not checking to see if you are still feeling X,Y or Z.  It is not UNTIL you can do this will your mind and body  calm down.  What happens with these non-monitored activities is you mind/body calms.  At some point... it could be hours or days or weeks----you will all of a sudden notice that your breathing feels right.  Now it may only be momentarily BUT this is what I call learning moments.  these are the moments that you should learn from.   As time goes on, the snippets of 'normal' get longer. 

back in '97  i was in a horrific MS fear.  I'd been to docs/shrinks and all of that.  I still had symptoms and still a mess.  at some point I decided I could wait until MS took away my mobility OR I could say 'screw it' and live my life.  II chose to live my life.  I began a large gardening project.  I threw myself into it.  it was so engrossing that at the end of the project--about 3 wks--I noticed most of my symptoms were gone and others were greatly diminished.

somethings that are keeping you a wreck  :winking0008:  are:  monitoring, self-checking/testing (ie feeling your lip), seeking reassurance that you really are okay.   
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline kvndl2

Content
  • Things are lookin' up
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 10:48:26 AM »
Update: now I keep coughing and my throat feels really scratchy and kinda clogged. And I know anxiety can cause coughing but I feel like it hasn't been this bad before?

And I know it could be anxiety making me think it's worse but I really don't think it's ever been this bad.

And thank you sixpack for your reply.  I really appreciate you taking the time. I know that that's most of my issue. But I still keep thinking it's something more. I'm usually pretty good at distracting myself through my writing (I'm a recreational creative writer) but in large bouts of anxiety it's hard to keep my mind off of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 10:54:27 AM »
well as you may OR not be aware  :winking0008:  anxiety is a liar.  it tells us all kinds of things.  The trick is to become smarter than BEASTY (anxiety).  we do have a choice as to whether we let it take us over.  I am not saying it is easy.  NOPE not one bit easy.  It is likely a life long process.  BUT it is worth it    :yes:  Personally I got tired of being dragged around like a rag doll,  cuz that completely sucks ya know?
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline kvndl2

Content
  • Things are lookin' up
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 10:58:23 AM »
I know completely what you're saying. I don't want to be dragged down by it either. I try my best to ignore it. Not let it win. But as everyone with anxiety knows, it's far easier said than done. But I will try my best to push past this.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: