Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Low Dose Prozac?  (Read 598 times)

Offline Boo.

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: Low Dose Prozac?
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 02:24:26 PM »
Yes, it seems to be if you're feeling worse, it's actually working, as I've been told. The trick is building up to 20 slowly. You've been on it for a while now...you shouldn't have any problem bumping up to 20...because your body has been on 10 mgs for weeks now.

Believe me, I'm extremely sensitive to medications.... 10MGs is a subclinical dosage. There are rare cases where 10 MGs can work...but you've been on that dose a while....so time to bump.

If you have the 10 mgs capsules, you can do it this way: Open one of the 10 mg capsules and pour half out to take with your other 10 mg so it will be roughly 15 mgs...do that for a week or so, then take 2 10mg capsules and you'll be at 20  :yes:  You can do this!  (oh, put the poured part of the capsule in applesauce..it doesn't really taste that bad. )

Ooh thanks! I'm still waiting for my new psychiatrist to contact me (phone, email, smoke signal, something..) so I can ask him about it too. :) I was even thinking maybe since they had me start with 1 pill every other day and then go up to 1 pill a day (to get my body used to it), it might make sense to do 1 every other day and 2 every other day to ease my body into taking 2 (but my mom said that wouldn't work so I don't know lol). I'll ask him about trying to go up to 15 mg for a week and seeing how that works out.. I don't like applesauce so I'll have to use some peanut butter or something. ;)

All I know is that when I went up to 2 a day (which lasted 5 days), I was MISERABLE. Waking up at 3AM with the worst nausea of my life is no fun.. lol. I lost almost 20 lbs in a week because all I could get myself to eat was saltines and plain tortilla chips.. So I hope the new psychiatrist can offer me a new solution so I can try to stay on the Prozac (especially if it's gonna start helping lol). It was after I went back to 10 mg that my anxiety got soooo much worse omg. I don't know if it was at all related, but that was what I noticed!!
Bookmark and Share
"Just keep swimming..."

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 02:40:48 PM »
Yes, it seems to be if you're feeling worse, it's actually working, as I've been told. The trick is building up to 20 slowly. You've been on it for a while now...you shouldn't have any problem bumping up to 20...because your body has been on 10 mgs for weeks now.

Believe me, I'm extremely sensitive to medications.... 10MGs is a subclinical dosage. There are rare cases where 10 MGs can work...but you've been on that dose a while....so time to bump.

If you have the 10 mgs capsules, you can do it this way: Open one of the 10 mg capsules and pour half out to take with your other 10 mg so it will be roughly 15 mgs...do that for a week or so, then take 2 10mg capsules and you'll be at 20  :yes:  You can do this!  (oh, put the poured part of the capsule in applesauce..it doesn't really taste that bad. )

Ooh thanks! I'm still waiting for my new psychiatrist to contact me (phone, email, smoke signal, something..) so I can ask him about it too. :) I was even thinking maybe since they had me start with 1 pill every other day and then go up to 1 pill a day (to get my body used to it), it might make sense to do 1 every other day and 2 every other day to ease my body into taking 2 (but my mom said that wouldn't work so I don't know lol). I'll ask him about trying to go up to 15 mg for a week and seeing how that works out.. I don't like applesauce so I'll have to use some peanut butter or something. ;)

All I know is that when I went up to 2 a day (which lasted 5 days), I was MISERABLE. Waking up at 3AM with the worst nausea of my life is no fun.. lol. I lost almost 20 lbs in a week because all I could get myself to eat was saltines and plain tortilla chips.. So I hope the new psychiatrist can offer me a new solution so I can try to stay on the Prozac (especially if it's gonna start helping lol). It was after I went back to 10 mg that my anxiety got soooo much worse omg. I don't know if it was at all related, but that was what I noticed!!

Smoke signal here! :yes:

I would think every other day at 10 mgs...you could go to every day at 10 mgs...then...every other day at 20 mgs....

But, remember the Pepto Bismol for the nausea! And if you can, get a benzo for the temporary insomnia.

Seems that Prozac was working until you went back down to 10 mgs, right?

It's always worse in the beginning. I learned my lesson. I'm not stopping Prozac again.  :yes: 

Also, another thing that works for nausea are those things people use for motion sickness. When I ran out of Pepto one night, I put those SeaBands on. Worked like a charm.

I have a friend who sleeps with them on. (My acupuncturist told me that the point for nausea is also the same point meridian for anxiety). Double bonus there. :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Boo.

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 03:33:49 PM »
Smoke signal here! :yes:

I would think every other day at 10 mgs...you could go to every day at 10 mgs...then...every other day at 20 mgs....

But, remember the Pepto Bismol for the nausea! And if you can, get a benzo for the temporary insomnia.

Seems that Prozac was working until you went back down to 10 mgs, right?

It's always worse in the beginning. I learned my lesson. I'm not stopping Prozac again.  :yes: 

Also, another thing that works for nausea are those things people use for motion sickness. When I ran out of Pepto one night, I put those SeaBands on. Worked like a charm.

I have a friend who sleeps with them on. (My acupuncturist told me that the point for nausea is also the same point meridian for anxiety). Double bonus there. :yes:

I was thinking that too!! I'll ask though. If/when he ever contacts me.  :P And hope it doesn't start making me sick again.. lol. I do have nausea pills now (from having the issues a few weeks ago). I have no idea if they work or not, but they're worth a try if it comes back. :) Pepto seems to make my nausea worse actually.. lol. If I take Pepto, there's a 100% chance I'm gonna throw up after. I'm better off without it. :P I'll look into the sea sickness stuff too, I hear those lozenges are great for morning sickness nausea so they might help here too. :D Maybe the bracelet things will help also!

I don't think the Prozac ever actually "worked," my anxiety just got worse (worse than ever) when I went back down to 10 mg after being on 20... I don't think I was on it long enough at the time for it to actually start helping... I do have Klonopin right now (my regular doctor prescribed it to me for until the Prozac started helping because I was having a really hard time) and if I know I'm gonna have a bad night, I do take half of one so I'll be able to sleep better. (Like the night before last, I took it...) Now I'm paranoid about taking it though because yesterday I had a "brain zap" and someone said that could be related to the medication? I know those are also just regular anxiety-related so I don't know.. That's just another question to ask the psychiatrist. LOL. He's gonna call me expecting a 3-minute phone call about my medication and I'm gonna bombard him with like 25 questions... :P
Bookmark and Share
"Just keep swimming..."

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 03:42:24 PM »
I'd start smoke signaling the doctor!!!

Definitely bombard him with questions! He's making enough money! :yes:

Oh, right, I remember now- you never got to really feel the effects of the 20 mgs of prozac!

If Pepto doesn't work, plenty of other options.  :yes:

Prozac doesn't have a discontinuation syndrome like other SSRI's because it's got an extremely long Half Life....so yes, probably just you being a bit paranoid!

Ok. I'm out the door! Back later! Hope that doc calls you or you'll have to put an APB out on him!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Boo.

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 03:54:43 PM »
I'd start smoke signaling the doctor!!!

Definitely bombard him with questions! He's making enough money! :yes:

Oh, right, I remember now- you never got to really feel the effects of the 20 mgs of prozac!

If Pepto doesn't work, plenty of other options.  :yes:

Prozac doesn't have a discontinuation syndrome like other SSRI's because it's got an extremely long Half Life....so yes, probably just you being a bit paranoid!

Ok. I'm out the door! Back later! Hope that doc calls you or you'll have to put an APB out on him!

Thank you so much for all your help. :) I'm definitely gonna bombard him with all the questions I can think of (I'm sitting here making a list now so I don't forget any lol).

I hope you have a great day!!
Bookmark and Share
"Just keep swimming..."

Offline Boo.

• Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 07:11:23 PM »
Update.. The doctor's office just called me back. It was a nurse who called me and I told her my questions and she's sending them to a doctor. She said that she recommends I go ahead and switch to Lexapro, but also said that if she hears back from the doctor, she'll call me.. If I don't hear something back by 5 (it's 4 now), she thinks it'd be a good idea for me to just pick up the Lexapro from the pharmacy and switch this weekend.

I'm making a separate post in this thread so I can get myself more positive (and less afraid) about switching meds.
Bookmark and Share
"Just keep swimming..."

Offline Boo.

• Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 07:32:15 PM »
Update.. She just called me back and the other doctor said I should try staying on the 10mg Prozac for a little longer (to see if it does start helping) and to take Klonopin every night and since it has such a long half-life, it should start helping me feel better during the days too... And she said if I'm not feeling better next week, to call them back again.

So fingers crossed.. lol.
Bookmark and Share
"Just keep swimming..."

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 08:41:38 PM »
Lists are good. I hope by now your doctor called you! Enjoy your evening! Or day...whatever time zone you're in! *I'm in EDT* :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything