Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Someone told me I might have whooping cough! Please answer!  (Read 58 times)

Offline Mairi

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'd had a scratchy throat for a few days, but on Friday it turned into a really bad hacking cough with a lot of phlegm that goes back and forth from being wet to dry. Lately it's been wet more often. The cough gets worse and worse every day. Sometimes the coughs are seconds apart and I cough so hard I almost can't breathe. It's so scary! I could only eat 1 meal yesterday because I was coughing so much, and it took me 5 hours to finish between coughing and choking. I have a ton of phlegm and I keep coughing it up into my throat and then choking on it. A few times a day I start coughing really bad (sometimes I lean forward when I cough have to squeeze my eyes shut and it sounds like a dog barking) and I more and more and harder and harder until a HUGE ball of phlegm comes up my throat and then goes back down again because it's way too big to come out and I would probably choke to death if it did come up. Usually, when the phlegm comes up, it keeps me from breathing until it goes back down. The longest it took to come up was about 2 hours. I was coughing uncontrollably for that long! Yesterday morning there was too much phlegm in the back of my throat and I was having trouble breathing because it was blocking the air. I would cough really hard and then gasp for air after, and when I tried to breath I could hear the phlegm making a weird noise inside me. I was so, so scared! I still am! That lasted until the gigantic ball of phlegm came up and down my throat again. I seriously was having trouble breathing! I couldn't talk! I thought I would die! Right now I have this weird feeling in my whole chest, maybe from coughing so much. I am kind of having trouble breathing and I can't take a deep breath, but I don't know if that's from anxiety or not. My chest feels kind of tight. I'm scared 'cause I'm starting to cough a lot again. Anyway, I posted a question about this on Ask.com and someone answered and said there's a whooping cough epidemic now and that I probably have that and that whooping cough is deadly! I thought only kids could get that so I googled it and found out that teens and adults can get whooping cough too, and for them it's usually a really bad cough like mine. I'm terrified I have it! I think my cough if bad enough that i could have it. I'm so, so scared! Will I die? I don't want to die!!! Please, please, answer soon, someone! What's wrong with me?!  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lars Thorwald

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Someone told me I might have whooping cough! Please answer!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 01:45:54 PM »
Usually adults who have whooping cough are fine but sometimes antibiotics are prescribed to clear it up. I think it's more dangerous for small kids and babies. But you're not sure it's whooping cough. Maybe check in with the doc.
Bookmark and Share
"Is it meningitis? Scoliosis? Lupus? Is it lupus?"  --George Costanza

Offline shaggy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Someone told me I might have whooping cough! Please answer!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 01:51:50 PM »
Go to the doctor and get it checked out. My girlfriend had a cough after a small cold and couldn't breath when coughing sometimes. She went to her doctor and he assumed an infection in the lungs and gave her anti biotics, no big deal. Get it checked out and don't assume the worst, I'm sure you'll be fine!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: