Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Performance Reviews at work - any tips?  (Read 72 times)

Offline Peanut the kidnapper (UK)

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Performance Reviews at work - any tips?
« on: June 25, 2014, 11:58:24 AM »
Every year I have a problem with Performance Reviews at work.

I know Iíve done well but the effect that GAD and depression have on me this colours the way that others perceive me as a person and therefore the way that they perceive my performance.

You know the sort thing Ė ĎI donít care if heís done X Y and Z, heís a grumpy old ***í Ė translated into ĎI appreciate youíve worked hard but itís not just about productivity - youíre really not a team player, blah, blah, blahí.

My employer is aware of my condition and does make some adjustments, but perception is everything, and thatís very hard to change.

So, knowing Iím starting on the back foot, does anyone have any tips to try and recover the situation?

Or should I just be resigned to ingrained social prejudice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Performance Reviews at work - any tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 11:39:46 AM »
Hi,

I don't know if this is of any help, but if the person doing the performance review is aware of your GAD and depression, then try to turn it into a positive . . . yeah, I know, what? a positive?

For example: performance reviews always include a "what do you think you need to work on" question  . . .so, you could acknowledge the impact of the GAD but in such a way as it is a positive . . . . "As you know, with GAD and depression, the challenge is to make sure my colleagues see me as a team player and, at times, that is difficult. I am fortunate that XXXX (my employer) understands the impact that this may have on the perceptions that my colleagues have. I feel that I have taken several small steps to become more engaged with my colleagues such as XXXXX and YYYYY. This has given me confidence to set two new goals for this year:  AAA and BBB. In this way, I hope that my colleagues will be able to value me more as a team player. Would you be able to suggest other actions I should try to improve their perception of me?

Also, go into the performance review with 4 or 5 things that you have accomplished. So, for example: "At times, I find that I have to work hard not to react to so-and-so's approach with me. When he says A or does B, I am able to overlook this attitude and continue on. Although I know that he may be set in his ways, I am confident that I will be able to work around these situations to continue contributing to the company's bottomline. Perhaps you might be able to suggest other strategies to me that would make my work with this person more effect and less of a strain on me."

I don't think that anyone should ever be resigned to ingrained social prejudice . . . but, there are direct and indirect ways of working through situations . . . by hitting a nail on the head, well, that almost guarantees a defensive attitude on the part of the other person but, by engaging them into being part of the solution, it is an indirect way to spread the responsibility . . . of course, this all depends on the personalities of the people involved, but it might be an option to consider . . .

Keep in touch, Peanut, let us know how you are doing . . . take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline Peanut the kidnapper (UK)

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Performance Reviews at work - any tips?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »
Thanks Kconnors. Good advice.

It is hard to stay positive during the meetings, but you're right, it's the best approach if I can manage it.

I'll let you know the outcome.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: